What's new

Guide - Kenjutsu Kenjutsu's amazing Anti-Air.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Kenshi's Kenjutsu variation is highly underrated and is often seen as "his worst." This is from his combos in this this variation being insanely execution heavy and meter dependent. However, not only does DB1 make your opponent scared to jump, it can lead to some solid meterless damage as well.

Using DB1 as an Anti-Air.
DB1 has a deceiving range and on reaction you can punish your opponent for jumping as seen
in the video below. If you are unsure if you will be able to convert off it, you can use a S1 to confirm.

Combos shown in the video:
DB1, F32xxBF3. 25%
DB1, 1, 1, F32xx MB'd DB4, J2, 43 (all hits)xxBF3 36%
DB1, 43(all hits)xxBF3 25%
DB1, 1,1 43(all hits)xx MB'd BF3

Abusing DB1's armor and keeping your opponent cornered.
Don't you hate it how lots of players tend to neutral jump while in the corner to whiff punish you? What about those guys who immediately jump to get out. DB1 says "NO." The MB'd version has armor so you can easily blow up annoying NJ2s like Takeda's both midscreen and corner. This allows you to get some good damage while choosing to either throw them out, or keep them in.

Corner only.
(MB'd) DB1, NJ2, J2, 1,1,1, 43(all hits)xxDB4 MB'd, J2, 43(all hits)xx BF3. 34%
(MB'd) DB1, NJ2, J2, 1,1,1, 43(all hits)xxBF2 28%

Midscreen only.
MB'd DB1, BF3 19%

It is possible to connect an X-ray and NJP from DB1 Midscreen.
In order to connect a NJP, the DB1 anti-air but go behind the opponent which is possible thanks to its amazing hitbox. By hitting DB1 behind the opponent you are right them to do a NJP. It is possible to connect a NJP with it hitting behind but I've found it more difficult.

Most damage found out off DB1 in corner.

Now I know this may eventually become a gimmick but Kenjutsu needs to be more further explored. It has lots of potential, we just need to find it. Obviously these combos are not the most optimal but I wanted this "tech" out fast so you guys can toy around with it. Anyway, thanks for viewing the thread.

@Pig Of The Hut
@Blackula
@FrothyOmen
@RM Yoaks
@Immortal
@MrProfDrPepper
@Lt. Box
@Pterodactyl
@St0rmy Sharpy
@All the other Blind-ninja-jedi-samurai-swordsmen I missed.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Firstly this is good stuff.

However most of this was already known and unfortunately like you pointed out it's a gimmick.

Jumping on Kenshi in any variation is always a risky idea since we got RK which almost always lead to a combo.

However problem with Kenjutsu is utterly hard and not consistent enough 1 frame link leading to a vortex and low dmg without meter.

That's why balanced is good atm, hitstun is great and you pretty much only need meter for breakers (or EX RK). But even without it you can do decent dmg.

That being said i agree that Kenjutsu like any Kenshi variations atm need further exploring im pretty sure there is much more dirty things to be found. :>

Firstly this is good stuff.

However most of this was already known and unfortunately like you pointed out it's a gimmick.

Jumping on Kenshi in any variation is always a risky idea since we got RK which almost always lead to a combo.

However problem with Kenjutsu is utterly hard and not consistent enough 1 frame link leading to a vortex and low dmg without meter.

That's why balanced is good atm, hitstun is great and you pretty much only need meter for breakers (or EX RK). But even without it you can do decent dmg.

That being said i agree that Kenjutsu like any Kenshi variations atm need further exploring im pretty sure there is much more dirty things to be found. :>
His D1 link is easy.

Immortal

Blind justice....
His D1 link is easy.
Its not tight. Tight is DB1 into D1 in the corner.
Troll much? Please do show me how you're doing it consistently in real match (not in practice).

Both are pretty tight and very inconsistent in real match. Sure i can do both in practice mode almost all the time but gl with it in a real match. And dont even get me started on online.

Anyway, sadly but Kenshi atm is pretty weak and to be completely honest Kenjutsu which looked at the beginning like his strongest variation is probably the weakest one.

infamy23

FireBeard
Its not tight. Tight is DB1 into D1 in the corner.
Two threads where you are trolling with this nonsense.

DB1 D1 is a 1 frame link. a.k.a the tightest possible timing in the game.

Doing it in the corner does not change anything.

There are very few people in the world who can hit a 1 frame link 100% of the time in real match conditions. (let alone online).

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Kenshi's Kenjutsu variation is highly underrated and is often seen as "his worst." This is from his combos in this this variation being insanely execution heavy and meter dependent. However, not only does DB1 make your opponent scared to jump, it can lead to some solid meterless damage as well.

Using DB1 as an Anti-Air.
DB1 has a deceiving range and on reaction you can punish your opponent for jumping as seen
in the video below. If you are unsure if you will be able to convert off it, you can use a S1 to confirm.

DB1, F32xxBF3. 25%
DB1, 1, 1, F32xx MB'd DB4, J2, 43 (all hits)xxBF3 36%
DB1, 43(all hits)xxBF3 25%
DB1, 1,1 43(all hits)xx MB'd BF3

Abusing DB1's armor and keeping your opponent cornered.
Don't you hate it how lots of players tend to neutral jump while in the corner to whiff punish you? What about those guys who immediately jump to get out. DB1 says "NO." The MB'd version has armor so you can easily blow up annoying NJ2s like Takeda's both midscreen and corner. This allows you to get some good damage while choosing to either throw them out, or keep them in.

Corner only.
(MB'd) DB1, NJ2, J2, 1,1,1, 43(all hits)xxDB4 MB'd, J2, 43(all hits)xx BF3. 34%
(MB'd) DB1, NJ2, J2, 1,1,1, 43(all hits)xxBF2 28%

Midscreen only.
MB'd DB1, BF3 19%

It is possible to connect an X-ray and NJP from DB1 Midscreen.
In order to connect a NJP, the DB1 anti-air but go behind the opponent which is possible thanks to its amazing hitbox. By hitting DB1 behind the opponent you are right them to do a NJP. It is possible to connect a NJP with it hitting behind but I've found it more difficult.

Most damage found out off DB1 in corner.

Now I know this may eventually become a gimmick but Kenjutsu needs to be more further explored. It has lots of potential, we just need to find it. Obviously these combos are not the most optimal but I wanted this "tech" out fast so you guys can toy around with it. Anyway, thanks for viewing the thread.

@Pig Of The Hut
@Blackula
@FrothyOmen
@RM Yoaks
@Immortal
@MrProfDrPepper
@Lt. Box
@Pterodactyl
@St0rmy Sharpy
@All the other Blind-ninja-jedi-samurai-swordsmen I missed.
Just saw this

Fantastic