What's new

Kano Matchup Chart/Thread

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Of course, this is just my personal opinion, but I exclusively play him and have been doing well with him since launch.

If any other Kano mains want to chime in on what they think, I'd love to discuss it.

Last edited:

kcd117

Noob
Of course, this is just my personal opinion, but I exclusively play him and have been doing well with him since launch.

If any other Kano mains want to chime in on what they think, I'd love to discuss it.

No one has anything to add to this? lol

@kcd117 @Murderation76 @karaokelove @CO-KANO @DDustiNN
I have good experience against most characters save for a few underused ones like Kotal and Kollector, but I still played a decent amount of time against them and labbed them. With that said, that is my impression on his matchups:

I don't really think the Erron matchup is a 7-3 tho, but it is his hardest one by far. Cassie never has to commit against him, and good mids are a real big problem for him (she happens to have 2 stupid ones lol), if you lose your momentum you'll probably lose the match. Kitana is pretty bad. No character in this game exploits Kano's weak anti-airs as much as she does, and every single time you wanna get something started you have to risk your life unless she fucks up.

Frost is the only matchup where I feel like kano has better tools to deal with her everywhere in the screen. Kotal and Kollector have to respect him more than most characters, he can also get away with very disrespectful stuff especially on Kotal, and I feel like he can zone them out pretty effectively too.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I have good experience against most characters save for a few underused ones like Kotal and Kollector, but I still played a decent amount of time against them and labbed them. With that said, that is my impression on his matchups:
View attachment 15146

I don't really think the Erron matchup is a 7-3 tho, but it is his hardest one by far. Cassie never has to commit against him, and good mids are a real big problem for him (she happens to have 2 stupid ones lol), if you lose your momentum you'll probably lose the match. Kitana is pretty bad. No character in this game exploits Kano's weak anti-airs as much as she does, and every single time you wanna get something started you have to risk your life unless she fucks up.

Frost is the only matchup where I feel like kano has better tools to deal with her everywhere in the screen. Kotal and Kollector have to respect him more than most characters, he can also get away with very disrespectful stuff especially on Kotal, and I feel like he can zone them out pretty effectively too.
Good stuff man. I agree with a good most of what you have here and like the layout you chose as far as 'Good' or 'Hard'.

The only things that stand for me personally are:

These are based on experience with very long sets.

1. Sonya
I agree that the tools themselves would make them even, but her damage output is what skews it in her favor imo. Kano's risk/reward is just much worst than hers.

2. Baraka
Same as Sonya. The tools compare very well, but his damage on punishes is what skews it in his direction. Kano's risk/reward just isn't as good as his.

3. Kabal
I feel like Kano actually does great against Kabal. Kano's AirBall could punish Kabal's air saw if you see him jumping at certain distances. All it takes is standing in the right spots then neutral jumping. Other than that, Kano could really play his traditional game peppered into the neutral game he'll play with AirBall and knives. I've played against Slayer's Kabal a good amount.

4. Cetrion
As far as her zoning goes, I understand why you put her here, but as far as her own pressure that revolves around her backdash, I just don't see how you have her here. It's almost like the Erron Black matchup where Kano has to take risks with slower moves in hopes that she will go for the exact option you hope she goes for. The backdash after her safe strings in combination with her Barrier make this one tough for me personally.

Last edited:

kcd117

Noob
Good stuff man. I agree with a good most of what you have here and like the layout you chose as far as 'Good' or 'Hard'.

The only things that stand for me personally are:

These are based on experience with very long sets.

1. Sonya
I agree that the tools themselves would make them even, but her damage output is what skews it in her favor imo. Kano's risk/reward is just much worst than hers.

2. Baraka
Same as Sonya. The tools compare very well, but his damage on punishes is what skews it in his direction. Kano's risk/reward just isn't as good as his.

3. Kabal
I feel like Kano actually does great against Kabal. Kano's AirBall could punish Kabal's air saw if you see him jumping at certain distances. All it takes is standing in the right spots then neutral jumping. Other than that, Kano could really play his traditional game against peppered into the neutral game he'll play with AirBall and knives. I've played against Slayer's Kabal a good amount.

4. Cetrion
As far as her zoning goes, I understand why you put her here, but as far as her own pressure that revolves around her backdash, I just don't see how you have her here. It's almost like the Erron Black matchup where Kano has to take risks with slower moves in hopes that she will go for the exact option you hope she goes for. The backdash after her safe strings in combination with her Barrier make this one tough for me personally.
In the Sonya matchup, I feel like Kano has the tools to stay in a ranges that seems very uncomfortable for her, that sweet spot from where he can win projectile trades and the F3 sweet spot. Her lack of strong mids lets you disrespect her in a lot of situations and his oki seems really effective against her.

I feel the same in the Baraka matchup, it seems that Kano can really force the neutral to be played at the most annoying range for both., even tho oki is not as effective in this one, Baraka has seems to struggle a lot more when he loses the lifelead.

The Kabal one is kinda tricky. I just feel like the Kabal player gets to play super lame and baiting Kano into doing unsafe stuff, as he will win the projectile trades from everywhere, and has godlike mids and great staggers to bait a button from you. His wakeups are also super good and it hurts Kano's oki game.

I really hate playing against good Cetrions bc she has some really broken tools like her wall, teleport and a stupid back dash. With that said, I still feel like Kano can do very good against her. His knives play a huge part in the matchup, and so does his ball. F3 also can dodge her air projectile and leave her open for a punish on a read. In the end, I feel like the neutral game is pretty even in this matchup and Kano struggles with Cetrion's pressure and staggers just as much as she struggles with his oki, so I think it is even.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i have a general match up chart, but it would be from a dirtbag kano perspective and its a little different perspective. i have no ripper experience where most here do.

i go into every match feeling good about my chances. when i get beat its because i truly was out played. it would be nice to have a extra Krushing blow at my disposal, that would help in the match ups with the 4-6 characters.

4-6 erron black, geras, skarlet, kung lao, Scorpion, Sonya, Jax, Jacqui
5-5 Noob, Raiden, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Cassie, Cetrion, Jade, Baraka, Sub zero, Kabal, Kano, Kotal Kahn
6-4 Kahn, Kitana, Dvorah, Kollector, Johnny Cage, Frost

Last edited:

SpiceWeasel

Nothing personal mate!
i do the worst against a good zoner ,especially Skarlet is pain for me.
Everyone with a low projectile shuts my Kano down like Cassi or Jade

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I dont see Johnny beating Kano since Forceballs whiff on him. Kano can easily compete with Johnny's projectiles as well. It's a pretty even matchup if anything.

kcd117

Noob
I dont see Johnny beating Kano since Forceballs whiff on him. Kano can easily compete with Johnny's projectiles as well. It's a pretty even matchup if anything.
All of Kano's highs whiff on JC when he is crouch blocking. S2, 11, S3, S4...
JC is actually one of the few characters that Kano can't win the projectile trades, as his force ball travels too fast for you to have enough time to recover and block it after throwing a knife.
Even tho JC can't have his + frames against Kano, in this matchup, Kano's options after a D1 on hit or after the other player is left negative in front of you are severely reduced due to Cage's obnoxious hitbox, while Cage has better footsies and can counterzone Kano pretty effectively.

Imo JC has a small advantage at every range in this matchup.

xKMMx

Banned
Can anyone on this thread give me some matches with Kano tonight? @Circus ? I keep getting beat by online Yolo's because I don't know the match up vs 1st rd KO jacqui

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
my biggest weapon is variety. I have 5 variations of Kano and I use all of them for different Match up. In KL league i choose Dirtbag against the “dirty” players because Kano himself is dirty. I Vege-Mighty thru projectiles as long as its only one. I sometimes spam donkey kick and b3 f4 S4 S3. Those moves by themselves can be canceled to special move and they are powerful.
I find that Kanos shorter but difficult combos inflict more damage then any big ones. An example is
JIPxS4xsnakebite(amp)xF2xmanhandled/lumbarcheck.
Now lets get to the matchup. My biggest issue is flat out being outplayed. I tend to get impatient and usually vege mighty kanoball from full screen..although most do hit. It works best against zoners and jumpers. Also interactables that can be jumped off of can be canceled to kanoballs and jip/k combos

In order from most hard to least hard
HARDEST MATCHUPS:
LUI KANG: Donkey Punch and lows and high neutral attacks , especially when mixing up have fiven me the most success. Its a cheap technique but fuck lui kang and his cheater tactics. Ol safe-on-everything-ass bastard.

GERA: one giant, always fresh, piece of shit time scrub. Geras is simply too fast and too random for me to keep up. My best weapon is vege mighty, but its just too quick, i only win against less experienced players.

SONYA: sonya’s damage is crazy. I can whoop Sonya all over the map but all she needs to hit are 2 full combos and then she shits out a fatal blow and i die.

SCORPION: This jackass has been giving me trouble since MKX..i have a special place in my heart for this teleporting Piece of monkey turd
Scorpion mains are simply the worse kind of people.
CASSIE CAGE: My advice, pick a stage with jump off interactables.

In order from most easy to least easy
EASIEST MATCHUPS:
KOLLECTOR: block low, donkey kick and combo him til he dead.

SHAO KHAN: big for nothing and easy wins.

SUBZERO predicatbility and lumbar check are your frined

JOHNNY CAGE vege mighty and biomagz

JADE this sexy bitch can get it. the stick is no match for rack off and vegemighty. Hit low sweeps, get her off her sexy feet, beat her up and nurse her fine ass back to health.

KOTAL KHAN: high vs lows..neutral duck and KB punish to your hearts content.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I played Eldergin's Cetrion today and I thought this MU would be horrid and it's not that bad. Tho when he started busting out the pinatas it started getting a bit harder since Kano can't do much against that. Kano ball doesn't go over it, but if they don't AMP it you can punish with Kano ball.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
again keep this in mind that this is coming from a dirtbag main, i dont use ripper at all and i should start using it for some match ups.

My updated list

4-6 erron black, geras, kung lao, Scorpion, Sonya, Jax, Jacqui
5-5 Noob, Raiden, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Cassie, Cetrion, Jade, Baraka, Sub zero, Kabal, Kano, Kotal Kahn, skarlet, Kollector
6-4 Kahn, Kitana, Dvorah, Johnny Cage, Frost

moved kollector to 5-5 from 6-4 been playing @The Slaj Jazz and i believe now the kollector is a good character and the winner between these two comes down to the player making better reads and punishes.
moved Skarlet from 6-4 to 5-5

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm getting incredibly frustrated against Scorpions. If I put up the pressure, I'm fine, but the second I let up and they start with their teleport crap, I get killed. I know I should play more patiently, but the chip damage on the chain attack is ridiculous and the second you do something unsafe with Kano (so like anything) and they block, they can punish you with that.