What's new

Kano, Jax, Erron, and Baraka's Command Grabs Nerfed in Today's Patch

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Today's patch made it so certain highs that weren't being Krushing Blow D2'd now properly get Krushing Blow D2'd.

Before today, high command grab could not be Krushing Blow D2'd.
Now they can. This is pretty huge to be honest.

--------------
Kano:

Before, the recovery on Kano's command grab made it so the opponent neutral jumping or D2ing wouldn't put Kano in a terrible position, but now D2ing him has become a huge opportunity for damage against him in every round considering his dependance on his command grab.

D1xxCommandGrab or 24xxCommandGrab on hit could be punished with D2 Krushing Blow now.

I have to admit I'm sad to realize that it was a "bug" and not actually intended for him not to get Krushing Blow D2'd....

Last edited:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This is such a huge deal but no one seems to care lol.

I guess because Kano is the only character that literally NEEDS his command grab to be decent then it hurts him the most.

Last edited:

kcd117

Noob
This was around since the reveal. At first, I thought it was a bug but then they released 3 latter versions (network test, beta, and full game) with the same interactions so I assumed this was intentional. Now they fix it as a bug. It bugs me how stuff like that get past development.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
At the moment, if Kano does D1xxCommandGrab or 24xxCommand grab on hit the opponent could mash out D2 and it'll Krushing Blow.

So if Kano makes these incorrect command grab reads and the moves hit, he'll eat 35-50%.

That's a monumental nerf to Kano, even if it was a bug. FeelsBadMan...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So messing around with some stuff and dang, this is a big hit to Kano and Baraka's second variation. Only difference between the two is Baraka has the gutted variation. I dunno this doesn't look good for Kano on first impression.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention! While it does leave them at a higher risk, it's really not a set of nerfs, but rather a bug fix, and a fair one at that in my eyes.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Lumbar Check needs to be made into a mid even more now I think.
I don't think NRS would do this.

If they made Lumbar Check into a mid then they'd have to either nerf the recovery or the startup because at the moment, if the opponent neutral jumps to avoid a command grab setup, Kano will still be safe. If Lumbar Check was a mid then it would literally be unpunishable in it's current state.

They'd have to nerf the startup time or the recovery.

* If they nerfed the startup time it would nerf ALL of his setups though, so it'd be likely that the recovery time would be nerfed.

* BUT if the recovery time would be nerfed then D4xxCommandGrab wouldn't be safe anymore which, again, would really hurt Kano.

-----------------

If they buff Kano, the way to go would be to buff his other aspects imo. But only time will tell I guess.

After this nerf though... he DEFINITELY needs help now imo.

His risk/reward is soooo bad now.

Last edited:

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I don't think NRS would do this.

If they made Lumbar Check into a mid then they'd have to either nerf the recovery or the startup because at the moment, if the opponent neutral jumps to avoid a command grab setup, Kano will still be safe. If Lumbar Check was a mid then it would literally be unpunishable in it's current state.

They'd have to nerf the startup time or the recovery.

If they nerfed the startup time it would nerf ALL of his setups though, so it'd be likely that the recovery time would be nerfed.

BUT if the recovery time would be nerfed then D4xxCommandGrab wouldn't be safe anymore which, again, would really hurt Kano.

-----------------

If they buff Kano, the way to go would be to buff his other aspects imo. But only time will tell I guess.

After this nerf though... he DEFINITELY needs help now imo.

His risk/reward is soooo bad now.
Yeah I see it, changing it up could lead to a bunch of other complications. But hey, they let Jason get away with it in MKX so who knows? lol Then again it was MKX.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
This would literally be the ONLY way to punish it. This and auto-jump normals.

I don't know if NRS would go this direction. Is it possible? Yea, but I don't think it will happen. Seems like a problem waiting to happen.
Or just jump out, no? Can you not NJ and punish on your way down? Most of the time people just poke me out of it so I haven't labbed NJ

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Or just jump out, no? Can you not NJ and punish on your way down? Most of the time people just poke me out of it so I haven't labbed NJ
No you can't NJ and punish Kano's command grab.

It recovers very fast; way faster than a regular grab. It's the only redeeming thing the character has but after today it's a bit worse risk/reward wise.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
PEOPLE IT WILL NEVER A BE A FUKN MID ARE YOU INSANE?

Are we playing the same game? LMAO
im more irritated that geras tick throw is still a mid. this shit seems weird especially since they took alot of jax tick throws. now anytime i d1 i have to make a guess whether they will d2 or sit on it.

Edit: yeah at this point im just maining kabal. least he can semi deal with zoning.

Baraka's High Command Grab is meant for being on hit anyway so that's fine.

This also indirectly gives Kollector the benefit of having a mid Command Grab so that's also fine.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Baraka's High Command Grab is meant for being on hit anyway so that's fine.

This also indirectly gives Kollector the benefit of having a mid Command Grab so that's also fine.
That isn't a command grab. Anything that can be blocked isn't really a command grab. What he's referring to is bone picker's blood lunge.

This patch really hurts bone picker, but to be honest the variation is so much worse than Marauder that it was kinda silly to play it anyway (I am going to miss mixing people up with the tick throws and lunges though :()