What's new

Just a Thought. Would you guys like to see anything like this?

What part would you like to see the most?

• Total voters

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
Alrighty, haven't posted in a while.

I had this idea brewing and already have some details worked out.
What I'm talking about is that I'm going into the Art Institute soon and I want to be a game developer.
What would you guys say to a game that is both fighting game and part rpg? It won't be an amalgam that has both styles of game smushed into one; rather, two games in the same package that are influenced by each other and different portions of the game have to be completed with different games.

I even have a character named Chrome.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Alrighty, haven't posted in a while.

I had this idea brewing and already have some details worked out.
What I'm talking about is that I'm going into the Art Institute soon and I want to be a game developer.
What would you guys say to a game that is both fighting game and part rpg? It won't be an amalgam that has both styles of game smushed into one; rather, two games in the same package that are influenced by each other and different portions of the game have to be completed with different games.

I even have a character named Chrome.
Yes, I always wanna see new types of games, and innovation. Go for it!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think you should try to get more specific about what kind of game or games this would entail, especially if you want to do this as an earlier project of yours. You are going to have much different challenges making an RPG then a FG.

But it sounds cool, I've liked RPG aspects in fighting games and vice versa so I think you could find some overlap to bring the two games together. Getting into more specifics could help you envision the games better. I would try to think about some of the tougher questions to help make it work.

In what ways are the games going to come together and make the idea work? Why would I want your games as opposed to just an RPG and a Fighter? How will the concept of two games work and what does it add to the table? Couldn't it just be one game that switches up game modes at different parts? How traditional are each games in their respective genres? Are you looking to make a full featured fighting game with versus mode and the like? Stuff like that.

I've long thought there was a good game waiting to be made where it's sort of an action RPG that is a traditional old school JRPG but where the fighting is more comparable to a 2D fighter. At any rate there's a lot of potential with your idea so best of luck with it.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
As with everything.. it depends on how its all implemented and exactly what you mean/intend with the mishmash of the two genres, but it sounds interesting. Just dont bite off more than you can chew on a first project and wallow in dev hell forever.

Even very simple stuff takes so damn long. I was working on a tiny sprite based fighting game for a bit - think 16bit graphics, and a VERY loose FF3/XI aesthetic for the sprites themselves, but with very large moves.. like how Green Lantern can throw a punch that's literally a two story tall fist, the idea being to minimize the character animations themselves, and focus on attack animations that would be largely vague, energy based shapes and such.. Most decisions were meant to pull the workload down.. Just messing about, and the work mounts up enormously fast and while I was researching everything, SO MANY PEOPLE practically screamed at me to keep the scope of the project low and manageable, lol.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
Thank you all for your inputs, guys!
I think you should try to get more specific about what kind of game or games this would entail, especially if you want to do this as an earlier project of yours. You are going to have much different challenges making an RPG then a FG.

But it sounds cool, I've liked RPG aspects in fighting games and vice versa so I think you could find some overlap to bring the two games together. Getting into more specifics could help you envision the games better. I would try to think about some of the tougher questions to help make it work.

In what ways are the games going to come together and make the idea work? Why would I want your games as opposed to just an RPG and a Fighter? How will the concept of two games work and what does it add to the table? Couldn't it just be one game that switches up game modes at different parts? How traditional are each games in their respective genres? Are you looking to make a full featured fighting game with versus mode and the like? Stuff like that.

I've long thought there was a good game waiting to be made where it's sort of an action RPG that is a traditional old school JRPG but where the fighting is more comparable to a 2D fighter. At any rate there's a lot of potential with your idea so best of luck with it.
The premise of the game starts off with two random people being beamed up to a simulated gladitorial arena.
There was only supposed to be one,so the two different simulations merged into one. One was supposed to be a fighting tournament; with a blaxploitation style undercover cop with a nunchuk and pistol. The other a dungeon crawl, with an ex magical girl teacher with a love baton. The tutorial shows how to play both parts in a single 'match'; the fg having a 4 button style with enhanced moves and such, and the rpg being turn based with different stats for different classes. (Alphonse, a fighter with all around stats and can hit from any position; and Ayumi, a support who can heal and do damage from afar, but weaker up front.)
This fusion of simulations somehow breaks the universe and brings them to a reality where evil reigns. Through both types of gameplay, there will be triumph! Certain areas will need more characters, that's where the dungeon crawling comes in. Only certain characters can be unlocked with the fg side of it.