What's new

Guide - D'Vorah Jumping out of d4~puddle on hit

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Hey, d4~puddle is a gimmick that has a ton of ways out of it (armor, backdash, block d4 and do whatever you want) but I mostly use it to catch people who tend to jump out of puddles. I noticed some characters could jump forward and others could not, so I decided to make a list of who could forward, backward, or neutral out of d4~puddle on hit. I don't have the KP1 characters, so they aren't here sadly.

Kung Lao: F B
Jax: B
Sonya: F B N
Kenshi: F B
Kitana: F B
Scorpion: F B
Sub-Zero: F B
Mileena: B
Takeda: F B
Cassie: F
Jacqui: F B
Kung Jin: Can't jump out
Shinnok: Can't jump out
Kano: F
Johnny: F B
Erron Black: Can't jump out
Liu Kang: Can't jump out
Ermac: F B
Kotal: B
Reptile: F B
Ferra/Torr: Can't jump out of a max range d4, can jump back on a close one.
D'vorah: F B
Raiden: F N
Quan Chi: F
Goro: F

I now nominate Sonya for best jump. No hitbox and really fast.

UPDATE: Spacing matters more than I thought. I've found a couple instances where the options change. Erron can jump back on max range d4's. Jacqui can't jump forward on max range d4's.

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
D'Vorah's recovery off puddle is really good. I'm sure she could at least uppercut in time, right?

Second Saint

D'Vorah's recovery off puddle is really good. I'm sure she could at least uppercut in time, right?
Oh yeah, she's got plenty of time for that if they jump forward. S1/d1 aa is also a strong option.

As far as I can tell, she's completely safe at that point. Two characters can actually run right out of the puddle after d4 hits. Jacqui and D'vorah have the right combination of explosive run speed and tiny hit boxes to avoid it completely, and even with Jacqui's 6f jab, I haven't been able to punish D'vorah if she blocks immediately. If they continue pressure or try to move though, you should hit them after the run.

I'd post a video, but I'm having some trouble recording at the moment.

Last edited:

Second Saint

Lao can actually dive kick punish her.

Good stuff. He can also run out of it sometimes. It's really inconsistent depending on the spacing of the d4, maybe his stance and even breathing. I've only gotten it to work a few times. I'll check if any other dive kicks can beat the puddle.

Second Saint

I did not know about this. Nice tech dude, thanks so much!
Any time. As much as I use d4~puddle, I just can't keep ways to beat it secret. Well, I'm fairly certain this was known before, but I don't think anyone bothered making a list for every character.

It's also nice knowing who I can use it against knowing with certainty that they have to use resources to get out of it.