What's new

Jump-ins

Turnbull

Noob
This might already be known, but the frame data for superman's jump-ins doesn't seem to factor in the height at which it hits. I recorded superman doing jump 2's into different strings, and using killer frost to try and interrupt with d1 (7 frames) and parry (1 frame).

Basically I found that as long as the j2 doesn't hit really early (Ie. very high up on the opponent) it is safe, and probably at advantage. I'm not going to pretend to have the best execution in the world for trying to parry/punish tight gaps, but I spent about 20 minutes trying to time d1s and parries as well as mashing them. I was unable to interrupt the succeeding strings, depending on the height the jump in 2 hit at.

I then tested the same thing by playing superman and setting KF to reversal mode. Any mid to deep j2 was not parry-able. High hitting neutral j2's and shallow jump in 2's were usually parry-able. For the most part, j1's could be punished with d1/parry. J3's were almost always punishable.

The follow up strings I used after mid to deep jump in 2's, were 111, 223, and even F2. However, F2 was the most frequently interrupt-able probably due to more awkward timing. I repeated the same process using cyborg's "5 frame" 1,1 string. Same results.

Other considerations would be that neutral jump attacks often push your opponent back far enough that the first hit of your string will whiff, and you can be punished. But for Jump in 2's, superman may likely be at advantage most times. Also none of his jump attacks really cross-up, so watch out for that.

Anyway, you can check it out for yourselves well. The stun superman will experience when he hits jump ins at early/near max heights will be obvious. Mid to late jump ins (primarily jump in 2's) will not experience the same stun and can transition seamlessly into strings without being interrupt-able. If anyone can confirm or disprove this, that would be very helpful. I thought it was worth checking out after playing some matches with my friend yesterday (offline) and him getting salty because he couldn't poke out of j2's - despite them being "-8." I thought it would be worth checking out because I was under the impression that I should never try to jump in with superman against frame-savvy opponents.

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
Time your jump-ins later, dial in your string properly, and j.X into quick strings can never be interrupted. The frame data on jump-ins is variable in actuality, so the -8 means nothing. This is the same in all fighting games:

- if your air attack hits their block early, block stun is reduced significantly (they can retaliate sooner)

- if your air attack hits shoulder / waist level or lower, frames on block are either even or advantageous (the lower you hit the more + you are). In these cases you can do almost anything without fear of being interrupted

Also, j.3 crosses up anywhere and j.2 crosses up in the corner rather effectively.

Turnbull

Noob
Time your jump-ins later, dial in your string properly, and j.X into quick strings can never be interrupted. The frame data on jump-ins is variable in actuality, so the -8 means nothing. This is the same in all fighting games:

- if your air attack hits their block early, by the time you reach the ground they are out of blockstun and interrupt or even punish you in some cases

- if your air attack hits shoulder / waist level or lower you can do almost anything without fear of being interrupted

Also, j.3 crosses up, and j.2 crosses up in the corner rather effectively.
Ahh sweet, thanks for the confirm and additional information. I only ever played mk before this where jump-ins all had advantage lol. Are there any good cross up corner combos that end with the opponent in the corner?

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
After any B3, you can omit the j.3 and dash under your opponent to side switch.

corner cross-up j.3, F23~[MB] Breath, B3, dash underneath, F2~scoop for example.