What's new

Question - Scorpion Jump in/cross jump punch 1 or 2?

Hey guys.

Which jump in punch and cross jump punch do you prefer and why? 1 or 2?
Not in combo after spear but in general during neutral.

Lately I have issue with cross jumps. My opponent is ducking and I could hit him for full combo punish but my punch whiffs (or simply doesn't come in).
I always used 2 but tried to use 1 and it seemed more consistent and easier to execute. 3 frame faster but 1 less frame active. And less hit advantage but +12 on hit is enough for the followup (same block stun).

I was reading something about "1 has better hitbox" too but from the videos I watched I couldn't see if it was 1 or 2.

Minor topic but might be useful in neutral to use the better variant. :)

Please, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
I'm probably the worst person to be saying this (because I'm a jumping bean), but don't jump at an opponent that's ready for it.

Jump in 3 is a fantastic tool, because you can combo off of it and it beats a lot of AA's.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
depends on the character. i dont use jump in 2 much at all tbh i should try to implement it more. i know subs is pretty filthy

jump in 1s from subzero & kotal because they're awesome. dvorah & shinnok for combo potential

jump in 3 for raiden, cassie, tremor & predator maybe once a match

jump in 4 for kano, erron

i dont jump with johnny cage or kenshi at all if i can help it.

some characters id rather neutral jump kick like shinnok and tremor.

dive kick characters probably better option than any other air move.

Last edited:

Zaphie

Ninjutsu, Batman
Personally, ji1 is better. More faster and less whiff. Ji2 has more hit advantage. You can use ji2 in combo.

Jip are really important in this game, but scorpion's jip are really bad. They are too short. And most of character's jump attacks are easily beat his jip. So don't abuse it.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Appreciate the tag @Yoaks :)

Ji1 is better for cross ups as to anti air it they do have to be on point, it has a very deceptive horizontal hitbox.

You only need to use Ji2 in a combo for F4 to be a natural combo which does slightly more damage depending on what combo you're going for.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the answers guys.
TBH I watched JTB123's archive stream yesterday and I saw that he used a lot of cross jump punches with success and I was interested in the mechanism as I couldn't get it from the video. Good to see your answer too from the first hand. :)

I play a lot against Kotal Kahn (my friend) and he can grab me in the air quite well so I am not motivated to jump a lot but sometimes it has good result if I do not whiff it.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Thank you for the answers guys.
TBH I watched JTB123's archive stream yesterday and I saw that he used a lot of cross jump punches with success and I was interested in the mechanism as I couldn't get it from the video. Good to see your answer too from the first hand. :)

I play a lot against Kotal Kahn (my friend) and he can grab me in the air quite well so I am not motivated to jump a lot but sometimes it has good result if I do not whiff it.
It's risky but keep in mind EX tele can be used to blow up anti airs as it hits from the opponents opposite side. It's tough to establish in a short set and probably not worth the risk unless you have a big lead but it's definitely something not to forget about.

Thanks for watching my archive as well :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
J2 has more hitstun that J1
J1 has its own uses as well.
In Ninjutsu i use it to fake a F4 connection out of a combo, or to restart a new one with delayed B3

J2 has more hitstun that J1
J1 has its own uses as well.
In Ninjutsu i use it to fake a F4 connection out of a combo, or to restart a new one with delayed B3
Please, enlight me about the Ninjitsu part I can't imagine right now. :)

After F4 you cross jump 1/2(?) instead of teleport? And after cross jump 1/2(?) you try the delayed b3?

I am in the basic phase where I am happy to get the reset and get a throw and sometimes I do an F2 when I think my opponent wants to escape after 2-3 throws in a row - works quite well but that's not the safest choice I admit it.

Thanks! ;)

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

After F4 you cross jump 1/2(?) instead of teleport? And after cross jump 1/2(?) you try the delayed b3?

I am in the basic phase where I am happy to get the reset and get a throw and sometimes I do an F2 when I think my opponent wants to escape after 2-3 throws in a row - works quite well but that's not the safest choice I admit it.

Thanks! ;)
After a spear, scorpion has to J2 in order do connect F4.

However, if you do J1 instead under the same cancel advantage, since it has way less hitstun than J2, it doesn't connect as 1 combo, if your opponent is blocking low after the spear, the F4 restarts a new combo.

You can also, delay a little bit, and B3~ex tele just as the hit stun runs out, if they're blocking standing, they might not be aware that the delay into B3 its another combo, so they get hit by a reset. Its also a counter t who expects F4.

Of course ppl who have faced this might actually look for it, but its still nice to throw once in a blue moon, specially under different parts of his combo, either after the spear, or after the teleport restand.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Thanks! ;)
After a spear, scorpion has to J2 in order do connect F4.

However, if you do J1 instead under the same cancel advantage, since it has way less hitstun than J2, it doesn't connect as 1 combo, if your opponent is blocking low after the spear, the F4 restarts a new combo.

You can also, delay a little bit, and B3~ex tele just as the hit stun runs out, if they're blocking standing, they might not be aware that the delay into B3 its another combo, so they get hit by a reset. Its also a counter t who expects F4.

Of course ppl who have faced this might actually look for it, but its still nice to throw once in a blue moon, specially under different parts of his combo, either after the spear, or after the teleport restand.