What's new

Johnny v Mileena Matchup.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Hmmm, matchup chart in the advanced strategy forum puts Mileena (6) to Cage (4). Not sure if this takes into account the new enhanced shadow kick.

In my opinion, Mileena is another great character. Like Cage, Mileena can't do big damage combos, but where she makes up for it, is in her good specials - mostly revolving around anti-zoning tools (which shouldn't be a problem for Cage - Since Cage has little to no zoning), and her mixups - being one of the few characters in the game, who can do significant damage off of a low starter by her B+3, cancelled into her ground roll, then into juggle combos. To add to this, she can also combo off of an overhead, much like Cage's Axe Kick, although I believe it is a tad faster, still noticeable startup though. Her ability to combo off of an overhead and a low, gives her a great mixup, depending on the skills of the Mileena player to hit-confirm the B+3~roll cancell to make the mixup safe.

Because of Mileena's great anti-zoning tools and her instant air fireball, especially if done very close to the ground, can stop Cage from jumping and dashing in. Any projectile thrown by Cage, could result in Mileena taking off 25%+ off of a roll or teleport kick on reaction. I think her air-sai is very abusable, and safe on block. Ground sai is probably punishable up close. She can cancel her teleport kick into air-sai, to make the teleport kick safer.

With Mileena's enhanced moves, the only ones your likely to see are the double teleport kick to confuse your blocking, and the enhanced roll which hits overhead on startup. Could be difficult to block, if cancelled from her B+3 low starter. Against such an aggressive character like Cage, using her X-Ray on its own, might be a worthwhile gamble. It's a forward moving X-Ray with armour - yet, only does 30% damage. Her combos into X-Ray, are just not worth the whole 3 bars, for only 10% or so more damage.

I'm in the view that the armour on the enhanced shadow kick, isn't the game changer in this match up. Too much post move lag, even on a successful hit, makes the move less appealing. Sure its probably always the best answer to plow through projectiles. But after subtracting the sai's damage from your health, and you get about two forward dashes in, with the situation resetting, its more of a somewhat invincible corner closer that does very low damage per meter. The only time, you truely gain, is when the enhanced shadow kick puts you and them in the corner, giving you so much frame advantage. As it takes meter, whereas Mileeena's sais do not, its a scarce commodity, and most of the time, you have to work without it.

Up close, Cage wins obvisiously. but Mileena's low pokes and low hit boxes gives her something. I can't remember much of her chain combos, as its been such a long time since I've used her. Sadly, had to give her up, when my arcade stick broke. Too much special cancelling with her, makes her execution rather difficult.