What's new

Question Johnny Cage (Noob Questions)

Mortal_Cage

"In Cage We Trust"
*I might be new here, please don't kick me out lol*

Hey guys. I am a JC main just looking to get better and better apply pressure when it's necessary. Usually when I am battling my opponent and i land a 21f2 into a f3nut punch, I never apply the pressure and I end up losing the match.

Also, what are some good pressure strings? I know f33b3 and f33EXdf2 jail your opponent and gives JC advantages if hit, but I know there is more. I just need to learn how to keep the pressure with JC, and pokes, f33b3, and f33EXdf2 is just not enough.

With JC, I have the defense and understand footsies and whiffs well, but what's a better anti-air punisher with Cage? Would I use b3 as they are coming in, or use a well timed d1 for a quick combo starter into nut punch? Usually I use b3 online, but it whiffs and then I kiss 30-40% of my health away.

And lastly, what are some ways for me as a player if I am fighting a JC to get out of pressure? I try to poke, but I end up just stand blocking then the opponent gets the easy read and either goes with the 21b4 or throws me.

I NEED HELP! xD

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

Simple Corner Combo (Showing you guys I'm not a scrub xD)

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...

Hey guys. I am a JC main just looking to get better and better apply pressure when it's necessary. Usually when I am battling my opponent and i land a 21f2 into a f3nut punch, I never apply the pressure and I end up losing the match.

Also, what are some good pressure strings? I know f33b3 and f33EXdf2 jail your opponent and gives JC advantages if hit, but I know there is more. I just need to learn how to keep the pressure with JC, and pokes, f33b3, and f33EXdf2 is just not enough.

With JC, I have the defense and understand footsies and whiffs well, but what's a better anti-air punisher with Cage? Would I use b3 as they are coming in, or use a well timed d1 for a quick combo starter into nut punch? Usually I use b3 online, but it whiffs and then I kiss 30-40% of my health away.

And lastly, what are some ways for me as a player if I am fighting a JC to get out of pressure? I try to poke, but I end up just stand blocking then the opponent gets the easy read and either goes with the 21b4 or throws me.

I NEED HELP! xD

After a nut punch always go for a jip into 11f1 which gives advantage for a f3 or go for jip f33 into ex force balls. Or go for a jip into a grab or 212 , 21, then grab. Idk so many options. Play around

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Wow what a loaded question. Cage is all about his pressure, and like cat said before me your options are numerous. What you do after you hit a nut punch (or when you are pressuring any time) is very dependant on your opponent's character and their tendencies as a player. crossover into 11f1 is a solid and fairly safe bet against most of the cast, but only if it gives you stage advantage or doesn't give them stage advantage. i also do not reccomend using it on characters with safe armor like kenshi. It is just too obvious of a spot to armor and the guessing game is not in your favor. Instead, use all your stagger strings (2, 1, 21, 11, fwd3, fwd32, fwd33b3, ) and try to be as random as possible, making it difficult to armor through. Also use these staggers against everybody else, but you can be more willing to create obvious gaps, (such as using fwd33 over and over) and then punishing them for trying to get out. Know what characters it is okay to finish strings on ( you most likely beat them in footsies) and who you cannot really afford to finish strings on ( Characters that are extremely difficult to get in on.) Another thing to note are characters that only have punishable options to get out of pressure. Scorpion only has d1, so if you see that coming, block it and punish. If you notice a player likes to jump out of pressure use more standing 1, if they like to poke use more fwd33b3. It should be second nature to you as a cage player what your options are in each specific matchup, pressuring your opponent is the easy part. And it looks like you say you know what you are doing in footsies and defense, which are the hardest part of playing any character, ut are especially overlooked with cage, so it looks like you are on your way to success! As far as anti airs go b3 is really good but it is most effective when you are already walking back (it will beat jiks) and standing 1 and uppercut are both good if they catch you off guard. As far as getting out of cage pressure, it depends on your character. If you are also cage you have an excellent d3, which can lead to your own pressure, as well as an 8 frame jab, and ex nutpunch. Its all about staying calm, and making good reads.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

There are tons at your disposal. You have many options when you get a nut punch. Jp 11f1 should be your starter pressure string after a completed nutpunch. What you do after that is completely on which character you are fighting and the player. Most situations you can get a free f3 mixup after, but characters like Kabal and Kung Lao for example will ruin that.
D1 is meh, B3 is great for baiting Jumps but honestly using standing 1/2 is going to be your fastest and best AA punish. To stop crossovers you have to adjust to performing NJPs because d1s will either be stuffed by a jump kick or accidentally entered as a nutpunch.

Get the life lead and turtle Cage. That is seriously how the matchup works, because up close there is too much horse shit to deal with. If you need too, use EX nutpunches to escape pressure, be careful though it can be baited and punished fairly easily. Also if you wish to pressure Cage and he has meter, don't be afraid to throw him. Chances are you will nullify the EX nutpunch they may throw at you by throwing them
I NEED HELP! xD

Do the combo in a match brah.
Hope I helped as well.

Also in the corner, your pressure game is so damn good. f33b3 all day my friend, there is nothing else you need... maybe some ex forceballs here and there lol.