What's new

Johnny Cage Guide Feedback

nageki

Noob
i was refering to outside of combo's but as i play more with johnny i see that eclipse kick is a good "check" move its all about risk/reward i use regular shadow kick though

DCP

Noob
i was refering to outside of combo's but as i play more with johnny i see that eclipse kick is a good "check" move its all about risk/reward i use regular shadow kick though
I agree. Using the Eclipse Kick more than twice a match is risky. It's useful against opponents who don't use a wake up attack, and even against some who do. Also if you're facing a zoner with a slower projectile, you can close the distance between them fairly quickly with one. Again it's all risk/reward.

SZSR

Noob
I agree. Using the Eclipse Kick more than twice a match is risky. It's useful against opponents who don't use a wake up attack, and even against some who do. Also if you're facing a zoner with a slower projectile, you can close the distance between them fairly quickly with one. Again it's all risk/reward.
Considering it can't be ducked or really jumped either, makes it a really valuable tool to help corner aggressive players so Cage can have fun in the corner.

DCP

Noob
Considering it can't be ducked or really jumped either, makes it a really valuable tool to help corner aggressive players so Cage can have fun in the corner.
Which is where I believe Johnny excels. It's really hard to get out of the corner against a good Johnny. If you really breakdown all his moves, it seems he was pretty much built to push opponents to the corner. Once there, the fun begins.

nageki

Noob
johnny excels anywhere honestly, he can lock you down midscreen if you know his normals well enough.

I know I'm being lazy. Since you guys were talking about how eclipse kick is useful. Has anyone found a use for Johnny's unblockable? Interesting tidbit. You can instantly dash cancel out of it and do another move out of your dash cancel.

You can cancel your unblockable charge into X-ray instantly by dash canceling. Perhaps you can bait something? Like a jump after nut punch and you can cancel it into a flip kick to punish it? I'm pretty sure you can dash cancel into x ray on reaction to moves.

In fact... I'm pretty sure you can cancel it into almost anything except block? Not sure.

nageki

Noob
you can use it to bait things, but your gonna have to experiment with it against different people because they will react different ways. unless you use a setup for it. End a few combo with nut punch then charged palm dash whatever, after a couple of times they should be conditioned to just blocking since it seems you will never do a real charged palm. once you condition them to block let it rip. its not an extremely useful move at this very moment because of teh fact that they can pretty much do anything to get out of any unblockable set ups. examples, d+1, standing 1, special, jump away. all of those examples are stand alone btw. not to mention you run the risk of getting comboed.

I know I'm being lazy. Since you guys were talking about how eclipse kick is useful. Has anyone found a use for Johnny's unblockable? Interesting tidbit. You can instantly dash cancel out of it and do another move out of your dash cancel.

You can cancel your unblockable charge into X-ray instantly by dash canceling. Perhaps you can bait something? Like a jump after nut punch and you can cancel it into a flip kick to punish it? I'm pretty sure you can dash cancel into x ray on reaction to moves.

In fact... I'm pretty sure you can cancel it into almost anything except block? Not sure.
prolly best used for feint to bait something unsafe, others than that its too slow a move to really b utilized in mixups imo seeing that anyone can see it coming and react accordingly.

mid screen: j1,f+4,dash,21,44,flash kick 32% still have to check i can do the j1 into f+4
This is neutral jump right?
It might be better to just
:r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx nut punch for 35%
You can actually link neutral jump :fp/:bp into :r+:bk two times with some timing involved if you want.

Edit: It might just be me, but I actually think ending combos with flip kick is a bad idea with Johnny.

Jay9k

Noob
This is neutral jump right?
It might be better to just
:r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx nut punch for 35%
You can actually link neutral jump :fp/:bp into :r+:bk two times with some timing involved if you want.

Edit: It might just be me, but I actually think ending combos with flip kick is a bad idea with Johnny.
nah its just a angled jump in thx for the tip

Wow, that is awesome. I didn't even know angled jump-in :fp combos into F+4 (lol I'm dumb). Does that keep them in stun on block? Anyway, lets go with the standard :bp juggle.
Angled J.:fp, :r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut punch) 37%

though I don't really put much thought into these combos other than dash :bp >_>...

Jay9k

Noob
b+3 > dash > 2 > dash > 21 > dash > 44 > shadowkick (30%) normally use this one for punishing teleports,uppercuts,ect

Lol, I know people don't normally back dash with Cage. Lets say it for the sake of a spacing game. His backdash is not useful at all is it? Is it me, or is it SLOWER than just MOVING BACKWARDS NORMALLY? The start up for it sucks too doesn't it?

Riggs

Noob
Im a nooby cage, first ever fighting game but im loving it, and im wondering how to lock someone down well? I mainly use his f+4 knee kick thing into shadow kick and sometimes use the f+2,1,2 dash f+4,4 shadow kick combo. Help a noob out haha, any tips in terms of lockdowns and combos would be ideal.

Wouldnt mind learning something which is around 32% which i could get down to a high level of execution. Alot of his combos seem quite dash orientated though, if anyone fancys some sparring ect on XBL add me - The Mornflake. ( dont expect anything major though )

Im a nooby cage, first ever fighting game but im loving it, and im wondering how to lock someone down well? I mainly use his f+4 knee kick thing into shadow kick and sometimes use the f+2,1,2 dash f+4,4 shadow kick combo. Help a noob out haha, any tips in terms of lockdowns and combos would be ideal.

Wouldnt mind learning something which is around 32% which i could get down to a high level of execution. Alot of his combos seem quite dash orientated though, if anyone fancys some sparring ect on XBL add me - The Mornflake. ( dont expect anything major though )
whoa you do some crazy combos mayn lol
here are some ideas...

lets see...

j1,f4, dash, 2,1, dash, 4,4, nut punch
j1, f4, dash, 2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, ex nut - im pretty sure this one was 40%
2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, ex nut
2,1,f2, dash, f3, nut

a sick blockstring with full meter, courtesy of tom brady would be
2,1, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, 2,1,f2 --- etc

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
Some facts for you, guys:

In Brady’s guide Cage’s :bp:fp is listed as Mid, Mid combo. However in reality the first :bp has a Special Mid attack level actually. I.e. it will hit an opponent blocking high and low, but it won’t hit an opponent crouching without a block (at least on PS3).

Zebster

How's my volume?
Lol, I know people don't normally back dash with Cage. Lets say it for the sake of a spacing game. His backdash is not useful at all is it? Is it me, or is it SLOWER than just MOVING BACKWARDS NORMALLY? The start up for it sucks too doesn't it?
From what I remember, generally backdash is slower than walking backwards with pretty much everyone.

Riggs

Noob
whoa you do some crazy combos mayn lol
here are some ideas...

lets see...

j1,f4, dash, 2,1, dash, 4,4, nut punch
j1, f4, dash, 2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, ex nut - im pretty sure this one was 40%
2,1,f2, dash, 4,4, ex nut
2,1,f2, dash, f3, nut

a sick blockstring with full meter, courtesy of tom brady would be
2,1, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, f3,3, ex fireball, 2,1,f2 --- etc
Ah thats good stuff, thankyou very much buddy. My combos are very lacking for cage haha, crazy stuff indeed! Luckily the rest of my game with him is decent and i often do well when using him, i love the rushdown characters :) Some guy was complaining the other day that the whole game is built around Cage and that he is too good!? Think he was trying to justify his 4 game loss streak v me.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Hey Tom, you mentioned in the show about doing F+3,3 xx enhanced forceball in the corner right, and that you could do 4 reps safely?
You can also do F+3,3,B+3 xx enhanced forceball and do 5 reps of that for about 50% altogether if they block it all. Is it safe?