What's new

Johnny Cage Combo Thread

I noticed we didn't really have one of these in the Johnny Cage Forum other than Tom Brady's combos. Lets go over a few which aren't covered. Feel free to post your own combos so I can add them. I'll just start up this thread with some of my own.

While Johnny Cage has a lot of pressure with his normals, he does want to go in for damage sometimes. You'll notice most of his juggles involve neutral :bp.

Nut Punch Set Ups:
Why nut punch? Simply because if you're next to Johnny in frame disadvantage, you're probably screwed. Chip usually makes up for lost damage from ending with Nut punch anyways. Plus, more meter if they manage to block correctly; of course, that wouldn't be what you're going for though.

Every time you land a nut punch it means you removed the previous option of:

-A Tech Roll
-Wake Up Attack
-Delayed Wake up

Nut Punch Set Up Midscreen:

:bp:fp:r+:bp, dash, :r+:fk, dash(not required) :r+:fk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 26%

:r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 34%

:l+:fk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 31%

If you catch them in the air with an angled jump :fp/:bp while advancing:
you may dash, :fp, dash, :fp, dash :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 20%

If you land a deep angled jump :fk/:bk while advancing:
you may dash, :r+:fk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 18%

Nut Punch Set Up Corner:

:r+:bk, :r+:bk, :)bp)x5, :fp:fp:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 43%

:r+:bk*, :r+:bk, :r+:bk, :)bp)x3, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 45%

Twin Rhapsody's Combo:
:l+:fk, :fk, :)bp)x4, :fp:fp:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 38%

Shadow Kick Combos: Most of these are guaranteed to push your opponent 50% across the map from where you started. Might as well abuse them to get them closer to the corner.

Shadow Kick Midscreen:

:bp:fp:r+:bp, dash, :r+:fk, dash(not required), :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 29%

:r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 34%

:r+:bk*, :r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash :bp, dash :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 38%

NJ.:bp, :r+:bk, :r+:bk, dash, :bp, dash :bp, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 39%

Twin Rhapsody's Combo:
:l+:fk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash(not required), :r+:bp xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 30%

If you catch them in the air with an angled jump :fp/:bp while advancing:
You may dash, :bp:fp:r+:bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 21%

If you land a deep angled jump :fk/:bk while advancing:
you may dash, :r+:fk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 15%
or
you may dash, :r+:fk, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 23%

Johnny Cage's X-ray is basically just a 50%+ damage omni-counter with the follow-ups. As a bonus, it also leads to a nut punch set up anywhere on the screen afterwards. Sounds pretty useful.

Midscreen X-Ray Combos:

:x, dash, :l+:fk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:d:fp (Nut Punch) 52%

:x, dash, :l+:fk, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 53%

Marcus' Combo:
:x, dash, :l+:fk, dash, :fp:fp, dash, :fp:fp, dash, :fp:fp, dash, :bk:bk xx :l:r:bk (Shadow Kick) 50%

Must hit at the tip of the hitbox.

While it's not much, ending combos with :r:bp cancelled on the 2nd hit into specials, generally adds 1% to any of Cage's longer combos.

It IS possible to do three Dash :bp after :l:fk (and possibly :r:bk) and still connect :r:bp mid-screen, but it is quite difficult.

It's probably not worth the effort unless you're in the corner, because you don't need to dash, but at least it can get (seemingly) further knockback combined with Shadow Kick mid-screen.

EDIT: Random addition, if you land a :l:fk while the opponent is in the corner, you can do :fk, :bp, :bp, :bp, :bp, :fp:fp:bk xx Nut Punch for 38%, 2% more than the normal :bp x 5 one. Only works off of :l:fk or neutral jump :fp/:bp though.

i like this thread.
what are some things to do after nutpunch?
i find sweep has a high sucess rate, but it opens up the chance to wake up attack.
grab is nice, but the same as sweep.
lock down with bp,fp?
F+fk a few times?

what do you guys do?

low_kix

Noob
Quick question about dashing with JC, and really just in general. I'm having trouble connecting hits after the 2, 1, f2 combo. The opponent is so far away you can only connect the kicks, I just have trouble getting over there. Also there's a brady combo I'm working on, the b3, dash 2, 1, dash 2, 1, etc. My problem here is when to input the dash. Sometimes it feel like I can input the dash during the combo animation and hell dash after (similar to dashing after connecting a focus attack in SF4), but sometimes I can't seem to get it to come out and seems it requires more precise timing. Which is correct?

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."

Quick question about dashing with JC, and really just in general. I'm having trouble connecting hits after the 2, 1, f2 combo. The opponent is so far away you can only connect the kicks, I just have trouble getting over there. Also there's a brady combo I'm working on, the b3, dash 2, 1, dash 2, 1, etc. My problem here is when to input the dash. Sometimes it feel like I can input the dash during the combo animation and hell dash after (similar to dashing after connecting a focus attack in SF4), but sometimes I can't seem to get it to come out and seems it requires more precise timing. Which is correct?

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."
what do you mean you can only connect the kicks?
input dash immediately after the F2 hits, then wait until he does the full dash, so about.... 1 second, then go ahead and input 4,4 or F3 or whatever.
hope this helps.

oh and as for the 21 dash combo, the first pop up, you have to do a full dash, before you hit 2,1 then the 2nd dash, you have to cancel immediately into 2,1 koz of gravity scaling. just take it slow and you'll pick up the combo system easily.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Im kinda new to Cage so heres what I use. I use this to connect after the X-ray too.

B+3, 11,dash,11,dash,11,dash,44,shadow kick

:)

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Anyone here who has the ability to record combos and has made some combo vids or clips that would like to help out with a big project, please PM me.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Honestly using the :fp :fp is easier than the :bp dash.
Try to learn it for a bit since it could make a match. I can say that it's not an extremely difficult combo to the point it's not practical. It doesn't even involve strict timing links, mostly just a motion you have to get used to. If there is something you can practice, it includes execution to minimize your mistakes. The match up and choices you make can come when you play against others.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Try to learn it for a bit since it could make a match. I can say that it's not an extremely difficult combo to the point it's not practical. It doesn't even involve strict timing links, mostly just a motion you have to get used to. If there is something you can practice, it includes execution to minimize your mistakes. The match up and choices you make can come when you play against others.
I know what you mean, but its just I have that motion feeling for the :fp :fp . Using it at ECT proved me really well.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Nameer did it right for all of the combos

these are the only ones that should be practiced and heavily used (because of the reset)

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
some corner combos... (non jump punch, adding it adds like 2-3%)

no bars:
f+4, f+4, b+4, 2, 2, 1,1, 1,1, 1,1,4~nut punch - 45%
2,1,f+2, b+4, 2, 2, 2, 1,1, 1,1, 1,1,4~nut punch - 44%

one bar:
f+4, f+4, backdash 2, 2, 3~EX forceball, 2, 1,1,4~nutpunch - 48%
f+4, f+4, backdash 3~EX Forceball, 2, 1,1, 1,1,4~nutpunch - 47%

leek

Noob
corner combo: 2,1,F+2, 2,2,2,2,2,4,4~nutpunch. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it's either 38% or 46% lol. Not playing right now, just remember the input.

sLeeK

Noob
JIP 2,1,F+2, 2,2,2,2,2,4,4~nutpunch then if they are blocking add F+ 3,3,B+3 flip kick(for chip damage I think its 50% if you get the full combo including the chip damage) Thanks to check for finding this. I apologize if this was already presented in one of the video's posted above.

I main reptile and I just picked up cage.. MY GOD IS HE FUN TO USE! I never enjoyed practicing combos with a character until I picked up cage. Then I pulled him out online and all I did was lol because of his insane pressure game that nut punch is priceless.

NariTuba

disMember
JIP 2,1,F+2, 2,2,2,2,2,4,4~nutpunch then if they are blocking add F+ 3,3,B+3 flip kick(for chip damage I think its 50%
if you connect a nutpunch you get a free jump. There really is no point in doing a flip kick and losing the advantage. I personally go for jps, f3,3,d1 and continue pressure or jps,2,1,throw.

Belial

Noob
F+4, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4,4, flash kick = 36%
F+4, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 4, 4, nut punch = 35%
Njp, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4,4, flash kick = 32%

Jp, f+4, dash, b+4, lil dash, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4, 4, ex flash kick = 43%

Jp, f+4, dash, b+4, lil dash, 2, dash, 4, 4,nut punch = 38%

combos and b+4 relauch found by SIM.

NariTuba

disMember
F+4, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4,4, flash kick = 36%
F+4, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 4, 4, nut punch = 35%
Njp, dash, b+4, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4,4, flash kick = 32%

Jp, f+4, dash, b+4, lil dash, 2, dash, 2, dash, 4, 4, ex flash kick = 43%

Jp, f+4, dash, b+4, lil dash, 2, dash, 4, 4,nut punch = 38%

combos and b+4 relauch found by SIM.
b4 is sweep which will end the combo... you mean b3?

i end everything in a nut punch.

if they jump in on me i do b+3 dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nut punch
if theyre camping low i can go f+4, dash 2, dash 2, 44~nut punch
if i land 2,1,f+2 i follow with dash f+3~nut punch
if i hit them out of the air i dassh up and f+3~nut punch
obv corner combos are obv
i end midscreen xray with nut punch

i think its the optimal way to play jc.