What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero ji2 Unique Corner Cross Up

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I didn't see this anywhere and thought it deserved attention. Obviously, Sub Zero relies on corner pressure. Hard knock down > clone > profit, to the end that even wake up armor becomes a large gamble for the opponent. However, a select few characters have such amazing wake up options that even the Grandmaster can't keep them trapped.

Or do they have options... at all?

Corner cross up ji2 will hit the opponent inside the corner, but then land Sub Zero safely outside the corner. On block, this will lead into the normal mix ups. On hit, confirm to damage. If the opponent attempts to wake up with armor, one of two things will happen: 1. The armored wake up will fire into the corner, away from Sub Zero. 2. The opponents inputs will be crossed up twice, ruining the wake up entirely.

This is match up specific stuff (but not variation specific, Cryo benefits from this pretty heavily as well). Slasher Jason is admittedly an exaggerated example. This also works on problem characters Goro (Punch Walk), D'Vorah (Ovipositor Rush) and Kung Jin (Bo Spin), just to name a few.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
I didn't see this anywhere and thought it deserved attention. Obviously, Sub Zero relies on corner pressure. Hard knock down > clone > profit, to the end that even wake up armor becomes a large gamble for the opponent. However, a select few characters have such amazing wake up options that even the Grandmaster can't keep them trapped.

Or do they have options... at all?

Corner cross up ji2 will hit the opponent inside the corner, but then land Sub Zero safely outside the corner. On block, this will lead into the normal mix ups. On hit, confirm to damage. If the opponent attempts to wake up with armor, one of two things will happen: 1. The armored wake up will fire into the corner, away from Sub Zero. 2. The opponents inputs will be crossed up twice, ruining the wake up entirely.

This is match up specific stuff (but not variation specific, Cryo benefits from this pretty heavily as well). Slasher Jason is admittedly an exaggerated example. This also works on problem characters Goro (Punch Walk), D'Vorah (Ovipositor Rush) and Kung Jin (Bo Spin), just to name a few.
Jason does this better without jumping and it works on all characters [:DOGE]

Redux

Ex Phase
nice, nrs hitboxes are weird lol. erron can also kind of do this with his ji2 on male characters like kotal and tremor in the corner with specific timing. does this work on females?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
nice, nrs hitboxes are weird lol. erron can also kind of do this with his ji2 on male characters like kotal and tremor in the corner with specific timing. does this work on females?
It does, but the wake ups most of the females have hit SZ out of the ji2 before he can land. Cassie flips her happy ass way out of the corner, Mileena hits you anyway, and Sonya's arc kick catches you so high that she can combo off of it. It does work well vs. D'Vorah, though.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Took this into a real match vs. Goro. Human opponent, woke up with ex punch walk vs. corner cross up ji2. Punch walk autocorrected and fired into the corner allowing for a pretty huge punish.

Ravosa

Wild Card
Holy shit that's crazy tech. Thanks for sharing. Yeah that's the problem I have. My friend plays a crazy goro and the usual d4 or b2 doesn't mean shit to him.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Lol glad you like it! It's hard to get the word out sometimes. Hopefully this works out well in the future. A note about Goro's ex punch walk; his hit box on the last hit, that uppercut? It tends to strike behind him (F/T tuck and trample does this as well, maybe more characters). Be mindful of that when punishing!

Ravosa

Wild Card
So I've been in the lab with this and against punch walk it's very risky. The timing is very strict and sometimes punch walk auto corrects and still hits you in a pretty weird way.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Don't let execution be a barrier man. I bet SonicFox can hit this every time. There's no reason we can't too.

If there is a legit inconsistency though, that might be pretty heartbreaking lol. I'll see if I can lab out some alternatives. A full on cross up ji2 isn't a terrible alternative in itself...

Side note about Goro, I watched Tom playing REO and he never did this; slide anti-airs telestomp (so does ice burst, but that's a bit slow). It's hit box extends pretty far above its hurt box apparently.

zoofs

bless
Don't let execution be a barrier man. I bet SonicFox can hit this every time. There's no reason we can't too.

If there is a legit inconsistency though, that might be pretty heartbreaking lol. I'll see if I can lab out some alternatives. A full on cross up ji2 isn't a terrible alternative in itself...

Side note about Goro, I watched Tom playing REO and he never did this; slide anti-airs telestomp (so does ice burst, but that's a bit slow). It's hit box extends pretty far above its hurt box apparently.
he aa'd with frost bomb a decent amount of the time, even d1 is possible but super hard. You have to walk back and time it perfectly (most of the time I only get a trade)

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
he aa'd with frost bomb a decent amount of the time, even d1 is possible but super hard. You have to walk back and time it perfectly (most of the time I only get a trade)
Word I seent that. I'm using like, vanilla ass ice burst anti air strats, w/o meter. Accidental find, but it's a thing.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
what the lol

I was assuming you just meant frost bomb when saying ice burst
I gotchu fam lol I figure he's got quite the bubble of a hit box around him to make it work. I've been meaning to make a thread about Goro tech but I mean... Why should someone in 8th place get hit by a blue shell, y'know? #MarioKartLyfe