What's new

Jebailey Speaks About Final Round 2016

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
(taken from https://www.facebook.com/Googlemyname/posts/10104972077334012 )

Alex Jebailey said:
My ‪#‎FR19‬ experience. Disclaimer: I don't care if this burns any bridges amongst myself and other organizers in the ‪#‎FGC‬. Poor event management has to stop, it's turning off new players to the scene and stopping them from ever coming back. Finals being hype and surviving the weekend is no longer an excuse for accountability.

I came out to FR19 this year for a few reasons. One it would be one of my few chances to compete in ‪#‎SFV‬ among the best in the world outside of EVO. 2 cause it's been a while since I've been to FR and some of my favorite early SFIV memories are from FR before CEO existed. Wanted to see friends from all over to eat and drink in the evenings which is the only redeeming quality at poorly run events these days. This was one of my only few chances this year to have fun with the FGC.

I spent what time I could enjoying casual matches with players. Playing inside of my pool matches is what really upset me. Getting bumped during games, once your match was done you were stuck waiting on the people next to you to be done. As a player it's just horrible to be treated like sardines and not having a comfortable environment to play in. I was sweating and just irritated that it affected my loser's final match but I'm happy for Eco who got a chance to compete in top 128 today after beating me.

I had to hear so many complaints of people being DQ'd because they didn't know heir pool assignments until 4 am the day of. Heck I got 2 byes in my Killer Instinct pool on Friday cause they didn't know their pools had been combined and moved earlier cause no official word ever went out as it should. Solution: if you take on site reg. Pre-write names into numbers which represents their pool they'll be thrown into so they know as soon as they pay for their badge where they will be so they don't have to find out when a friend texts them HEY you're gonna get DQ'd.

It wasn't easy to find where your game was hosted. Solution: posting an easy to read map of where each game is before the event will prevent 1,000 people scrambling and asking/pestering your staff until they find it.

Even the staff runners were lost sometimes but to their credit they all really did their best running stuff where they could even if they had to lose their voices.

Of course what will happen is an apology that they weren't prepared for 1,000 plus in SFV and that it'll get better next year, but I hate to say this, if you can't get the basics right after 19 years, nothing will ever change unless you bring in proper help and not overwhelm the small amount of main staff you have. You can't grow if you can't progress.

I'd hate to see an event get shut down by a fire Marshall when it gets overcrowded and everything can be ruined. I nearly experienced that with APEX 2015.

Events should be full of fun memories, not bad experiences that'll sour your mouth.

I could say so much more but the community has said enough already, too bad it'll fall on deaf ears. I hope I'm wrong and that things only go up from here.

Skipping my MegaBus ride back to Orlando tomorrow and paid 200 bucks for a flight out today just to get back to work and take a day off to relax tomorrow cause I just couldn't get over my bad experience on Friday/Saturday outside of the awesome foyer area full of arcade cabs.

My time is really limited now and I came out on my own dime to have fun with everyone, but I just couldn't and I can't "take the high road" anymore. If someone in my position doesn't say something and take the heat, nothing will ever change.

I just want every event to be awesome so everyone gets interested in attending even more. Safe travels back home everyone. If anyone thinks less of me for this, I'm sorry but the people have to be heard.

Jebailey_FBPost-Pic.jpg
It's interesting to read his thoughts -- for those who were around, these were many of the same concerns that were raised in 2014. I'm all for the community coming together and leveling up, and I think it's important as we grow -- so I'm posting this here to inspire positive change for the future.

But we definitely can't address these issues if we pretend they don't exist, and it shouldn't be up to the individual game volunteers (people like Kitana Prime, for example) to have to fix the results of poor planning at the last possible minute.

The FGC is growing, and the more honest we are, the faster we can adjust to fit the future.

Anyway, congrats to everyone who competed, and all the people who showed up to make this the biggest Final Round yet. 200 for MK signals a strong, healthy scene, and 1024 for SF5 is bananas. Looking forward to watching us continue to grow as time goes on :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So do we owe Pig and Bit apologies? :DOGE

In all seriousness, hopefully this motivates for much better organization all around. It would suck to see people stop going to these classic events due to this.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I don't know if I've ever heard legit praise about Final Round. Not just talking about us, I mean from other communities too. It either sucked or it was just fine. I never really saw the point in spending money to go to FR when there's tournaments like CEO and now CB. Hopefully with higher-ups finally talking about it like this though, they might really pay attention.

NEC/WB/SJ/etc up here aren't much different btw. We might have all these random majors over here but they're all sorta like this. Tbh it's been a while since I've been to a major around here that didn't have a handful of issues by fault of the organization and staff.

portent

Noob
At the bare minimum, this should open a discussion with the organizers as to how they can each help one another make a better fgc overall. Maybe Jebailey shouldn't have publicly roasted FR, but maybe his complaints were falling on deaf ears. I have no way of knowing. Hopefully hearing this from someone who puts on an outstanding tournament every year will mean something to an organizer.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
What exactly happened I missed it?
Some of the things I heard from this year-

- Horrible planning on the space, players were crammed together and couldn't even get up from their setup without interrupting another match
- Not enough setups
- Really odd bracket-making, and not just in MK. Xian and Xiaohai were in the same pool for example, while there were pools with nothing but no-names.
- Pools and schedules being changed last minute, like literally early morning hours of Saturday. People didn't even know when their pool was supposed to be until like 4AM the day of. I heard this happening for a bunch of games, and it ended up with a good handful of people getting DQ'd.
- Extremely poor scheduling. The original schedule had them expecting ~200 MK players to go through pools within 4 hours. I don't know how any TO can expect that to happen unless you have like Evo-amounts of setups and a ton of staff.
- SFV pools running until around 1AM
- Still running on paper brackets, which can create problems in itself, can slow things down, and prevents people from being able to follow from home
- General lack of anything exciting or interesting outside the tournament itself, whereas other TO's like to add something (CEO pool party, cool vendors, auction tournaments, hype exhibitions, etc)
- Tournament staff stealing pizza

Last edited:

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I cant view the post. Says it cant be displayed at this time.
Here's the post:

My ‪#‎FR19‬ experience. Disclaimer: I don't care if this burns any bridges amongst myself and other organizers in the ‪#‎FGC‬. Poor event management has to stop, it's turning off new players to the scene and stopping them from ever coming back. Finals being hype and surviving the weekend is no longer an excuse for accountability.

I came out to FR19 this year for a few reasons. One it would be one of my few chances to compete in ‪#‎SFV‬ among the best in the world outside of EVO. 2 cause it's been a while since I've been to FR and some of my favorite early SFIV memories are from FR before CEO existed. Wanted to see friends from all over to eat and drink in the evenings which is the only redeeming quality at poorly run events these days. This was one of my only few chances this year to have fun with the FGC.

I spent what time I could enjoying casual matches with players. Playing inside of my pool matches is what really upset me. Getting bumped during games, once your match was done you were stuck waiting on the people next to you to be done. As a player it's just horrible to be treated like sardines and not having a comfortable environment to play in. I was sweating and just irritated that it affected my loser's final match but I'm happy for Eco who got a chance to compete in top 128 today after beating me.

I had to hear so many complaints of people being DQ'd because they didn't know heir pool assignments until 4 am the day of. Heck I got 2 byes in my Killer Instinct pool on Friday cause they didn't know their pools had been combined and moved earlier cause no official word ever went out as it should. Solution: if you take on site reg. Pre-write names into numbers which represents their pool they'll be thrown into so they know as soon as they pay for their badge where they will be so they don't have to find out when a friend texts them HEY you're gonna get DQ'd.

It wasn't easy to find where your game was hosted. Solution: posting an easy to read map of where each game is before the event will prevent 1,000 people scrambling and asking/pestering your staff until they find it.

Even the staff runners were lost sometimes but to their credit they all really did their best running stuff where they could even if they had to lose their voices.

Of course what will happen is an apology that they weren't prepared for 1,000 plus in SFV and that it'll get better next year, but I hate to say this, if you can't get the basics right after 19 years, nothing will ever change unless you bring in proper help and not overwhelm the small amount of main staff you have. You can't grow if you can't progress.

I'd hate to see an event get shut down by a fire Marshall when it gets overcrowded and everything can be ruined. I nearly experienced that with APEX 2015.

Events should be full of fun memories, not bad experiences that'll sour your mouth.

I could say so much more but the community has said enough already, too bad it'll fall on deaf ears. I hope I'm wrong and that things only go up from here.

Skipping my MegaBus ride back to Orlando tomorrow and paid 200 bucks for a flight out today just to get back to work and take a day off to relax tomorrow cause I just couldn't get over my bad experience on Friday/Saturday outside of the awesome foyer area full of arcade cabs.

My time is really limited now and I came out on my own dime to have fun with everyone, but I just couldn't and I can't "take the high road" anymore. If someone in my position doesn't say something and take the heat, nothing will ever change.

I just want every event to be awesome so everyone gets interested in attending even more. Safe travels back home everyone. If anyone thinks less of me for this, I'm sorry but the people have to be heard.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I think this is great. It would be nice if more prominent members of the FGC would come forward to discuss things like this. Can't agree more with the OP that it's the only way things improve. Currently these things seem to discussed in passing tweets, PM's, or other forms of communication among friends which really just forms assumptions and hearsay in the community at large unless you were there. And even then experiences differ. I know exactly how Jebaily feels dumping your own funds on a tourney and having the whole event be a shitshow like it was in 2014. I thought it was bad then and let everyone know. This year sounded so much worse. I'm sure I would have been seething at the incompetence and probably left just like he did. Here's to hoping we all learn from this and improve.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
A few big complaints from a non SF player perspective

1) The power outages at the beginning of our stream were not the fault of the people who stepped on it. It was the fault of the the organizers for over crowding the venue.
2) They put the biggest games all in the same room which made it way worse
3) No official postings of pool times or schedule changes. I tried to tweet out what I could but just thank GOD for KP keeping his cool and getting everyone as informed as possible.
4) Getting yelled at by TO's for having a beer in the ballroom when the hotel is selling beer right inside the venue
5) No chance of hearing your game at all unless you were on stream with headphones. I don't know about you guys but sound is a huge thing for me.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I have never been to FR but it seems as if Larry didn't anticipate the large number of entrants, he said it himself after SF. I'm confident next year will be much better from lessons learned. For example NEC in the past has had some issues but this past NEC was one of the best FGC events I've been to as far as venue and how well it was run. So I know things can change for the better.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Not wanting to add fuel to the fire...but I do have my share of agitations over the experience. Such as:

- when the FR website initially showed eight pools for the Killer Instinct bracket, only to be simplified into four right as we walk into the room.

- I was assigned to Bracket 52 for the SFV pools only to be changed to 51, again without any notice. This means that I could have been DQ'ed if I hadn't erred on the side of caution.

- what happened to the KI pools getting streamed? That was outlined in the stream schedule, yet only the Top 16 was streamed AND the format was changed to 3/5 halfway through the tournament.

- I am now hearing that players have been DQ'ed due to the confusion about when their pools are scheduled? I was lucky not to be among that count, but if that's true, that's unacceptable. Players can't just be punished because they were never notified about the changes in plans.

As I don't know both sides of the story, I won't specifically direct the blame to anyone, but I sincerely hope there is a good explanation for these issues.