What's new

Strategy - Jax Jax Tech Thread

Hey guys so basically this will be the MKX tech thread postings for Jax for anyone with some ideas or being interested in picking him up and learning things. So far my first question is his energy wave.

its +8 on block (will be patched soon thats just broken) and its +10 on hit. my favorite strings with it are f21 E.W and f3 E.W. What do you guys think about the energy wave? i saw a few people duck it.

be sure to post any other tech to discuss!

Hey guys so basically this will be the MKX tech thread postings for Jax for anyone with some ideas or being interested in picking him up and learning things. So far my first question is his energy wave.

its +8 on block (will be patched soon thats just broken) and its +10 on hit. my favorite strings with it are f21 E.W and f3 E.W. What do you guys think about the energy wave? i saw a few people duck it.

be sure to post any other tech to discuss!
Jax is good not great. Him having sometime good when all his other stuff is just unsafe is not broke, Why do people keep talking about patchs for characters that are not great. Erron black, d'vorah and Cassie are really really great and people say nothing?

Jax is good not great. Him having sometime good when all his other stuff is just unsafe is not broke, Why do people keep talking about patchs for characters that are not great. Erron black, d'vorah and Cassie are really really great and people say nothing?
jax has been like that in the past few games. even MK. once we see all the tools he is gonna be a force to be reckoned with

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Jaxs b34 overhead dashpunch in the corner doesnt work on Goro :( but b34 bf4 will work. so probably the same for ferra torr

Why would energy wave ever be patched? its a high, so you can you duck it after a f21. In which case I would cancel into dash fist OH(super risky), or stagger the string and go for a b2/d12, or w/e. Anyone got any Jax AA strats? D2 is looking a bill, and his back walk is to slow to whiff a jump 3/4 unless you playing at a far range, but I rather play jax at f21 range.

Last edited:

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Why would energy wave ever be patched? its a high, so you can you duck it after a f21. In which case I would cancel into dash fist OH(super risky), or stagger the string and go for a b2 as a mixup. Anyone got any Jax AA strats? D2 is looking a bill, and his back walk is to slow to whiff a jump 3/4 unless you playing at a far range, but I rather play jax at f21 range.
Is his air command grab in wrestler variation reliable? I've been playing pumped up jax so I wouldn't know

Is his air command grab in wrestler variation reliable? I've been playing pumped up jax so I wouldn't know
Same, I only play pumped up, and a little bit of heavy machinery(for AA machine guns). Although, since Jax's jump is really floaty I wonder how consistent Air to Air gotcha grabs would be in MKX?

Why would energy wave ever be patched? its a high, so you can you duck it after a f21. In which case I would cancel into dash fist OH(super risky), or stagger the string and go for a b2 as a mixup. Anyone got any Jax AA strats? D2 is looking a bill, and his back walk is to slow to whiff a jump 3/4 unless you playing at a far range, but I rather play jax at f21 range.
do you have a way to show me an example of this?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Jax d2 is far from a bill, my good man.

Drecker

GET CITY.
D2 is the complete opposite of bill, bruh.

f21 xx db2 can be poked out of pretty clean, but conditioning people to do so and jamming out Gotcha does wonders.

I went back, reexamined D2, utilized it a bit more online and I still feel eh about it, but now, I at least understand how it functions at all ranges. AA crossovers and around one char length away is the optional range for Jax's D2.

I'll explain, I was in a scenario last night were I was playing a Cassie player. She would use her guns to bait me midscreen/her max jump range, and go for a jump 1. My first instinct is to just walk back and punish her jump-in attempt, but Jax's back movement is free in this game, so once I get in her max jump range its really difficult to walk in&out to bait a whiffed jump attack. So I think about my options like dashing back/neutral jumping 1 but eventually I go with making the read to look out for her Jump 1 and prepare a AA as a counter to this problem, because I do have a 6f D2 in my arsenal so why not use it?

Anyway, She jumped, and my brain registered it slightly before she hit her max height. I threw out my D2, and it came out, but it got stuffed. This happened numerous times in our set until I said fuck it, and started throwing bf4 on a pure read which had pretty good success because this Cassie player was pretty predictable when she jumped.

After this set, I went into training mode and set the bot to Cassie jip 1 from different distances around midscreen to see if online was making D2 inconsistent, and I found out some properties about the attack I didn't know before. Jax's D2 is great at the range were Jax is around a char length away, but at the range of Cassie max jip 1 is when it gets inconsistent. From now on I decided to AA with bf4 at midscreen and d2 for crossovers and at a char length away. I am still not sure what to do about jump kicks at a close range though because D2 seems to trade or get stuffed by them.

Also, does anyone feel like Jax's walkspeed/floaty jump will be a huge issue for him as the game evolves? I heard Tyrant is approaching the char from a defensive stand point now, and I think its solely because of the chars movement/jump being butt.

Jaxs back 2 over head works on teleport players.MK9 Jaxs gotcha grab could be input and anti air grab would catch teleport.So if you input foward 2 and they tele the over head can combo into.I have not tested timing on pratice yet,but did catch a scorpian teleport.I going check into these more get timing down.:l2

joemabob

Noob
Jax needs the energy wave at that advantage because he has low damage compared to the rest of cast for there effortless stupid high damage he has decent in corner damage and he needs the good pressure to even compete honestly and energy wave is easily ducked n punishable. People just need to stop complaining. The games been out for a week and people trying to say characters broke when there several other characters who are significantly better... so learn the MU!

Drecker

GET CITY.
Jax needs the energy wave at that advantage because he has low damage compared to the rest of cast for there effortless stupid high damage he has decent in corner damage and he needs the good pressure to even compete honestly and energy wave is easily ducked n punishable. People just need to stop complaining. The games been out for a week and people trying to say characters broke when there several other characters who are significantly better... so learn the MU!
Jailing strings make both Energy Wave and Dash Punch unduckable on block; you can poke out of things like f21xxEW, but if they can't react within 4 frames they're going to get tagged. Once they're conditioned to try and poke out you can start snatching any counterpoke attempt with Gotcha for corner carry or go into EX Overhead Punch > 35% + corner carry.

Jax doesn't have low damage midscreen, his high damage stuff is just REALLY hard to do. His corner damage is also absolutely bonkers, saying decent is super underplaying him my dude.

joemabob

Noob
Jailing strings make both Energy Wave and Dash Punch unduckable on block; you can poke out of things like f21xxEW, but if they can't react within 4 frames they're going to get tagged. Once they're conditioned to try and poke out you can start snatching any counterpoke attempt with Gotcha for corner carry or go into EX Overhead Punch > 35% + corner carry.

Jax doesn't have low damage midscreen, his high damage stuff is just REALLY hard to do. His corner damage is also absolutely bonkers, saying decent is super underplaying him my dude.
He has 1bar 30% to 40% mid screen combos and in the corner yes they are good n EASY but compared to other characters getting 100% 65% 50% 45%! For a combo that Doesn't make jaxs combos look so "bonkers"... So it all equals out is what I'm saying

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
welp last week me and wonder chef found that instead of committing to an overhead dash punch you can do a regular dash punch off any block string and itll still hit them. So you can do gotcha grab or dash punch as safe options to check them from getting out of your f21 EW pressure

Jax is Damage is good, not great.

Drecker

GET CITY.
Consistent 40+ without meter in corner is great, especially when you're restanding and keeping yourself at advantage. His good midscreen damage coupled with the corner carry it gives him makes it great.

Jax's combos are essentially Superman's but you don't need meter to do them in the corner and you retain frame advantage at basically all times. Guess wrong twice, die.

@Awesomo

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Consistent 40+ without meter in corner is great, especially when you're restanding and keeping yourself at advantage. His good midscreen damage coupled with the corner carry it gives him makes it great.

Jax's combos are essentially Superman's but you don't need meter to do them in the corner and you retain frame advantage at basically all times. Guess wrong twice, die.

@Awesomo
everything this man said the troof