What's new

Jamessmk OG return from the past

jamessmk

I am your god
Old vs new age gaming

After entering my first MK tournament in almost 20 years. The scene has changed in many ways. Some of these ways better and some not so.
** I have met many of the new age gamers and must admit, while many of them are great guys, others are the arrogance in which caused me
to leave the gaming world.*
*Guys like Shocker, 9.95, Crazy Dominican, of guys like Summoning and LIJoe "the little kid on da milk crate" and of course Bill "Tom Brady". *These guys are the sole reason people like Ed Boon and crew are still employed. They kept the Mortal Kombat series alive, when during the 3D days it should have been put out into the field and shot. Now that WMS is now defunct and NRS has taken over they finally returned to the roots of what made*
MK series great. Time will only tell if the can keep the torch lit.*

For myself it all began in late 1991. I was working for Acclaim Entertainment out on Long Island,NY. *I was currently working on games like Aliens, WWE, and Krusty's Fun house.*
*At the time arcades were on a second run of popularity, games like Street fighter 2,**Neo geo, and classics were top games.
** One day while working on some titles a delivery man had place a large arcade cabinet in from of
my cubicle. While busy on my titles ignored my surrounding. With, that said a few hours later we were told we had acquired exclusive rights to WMS titles. Before , to long all the employees had come down to see what this game was, they had ask
me to plug the game into my cube and power it up. Within seconds i had heard the first BONG, sound of the board and romm boot checking. After a few minute there was a look of amazement when people had gotten there first glimpse of
Mortal kombat .*
*I must admit I was not immediately attracted to it, for I was a SF 2 player.

The game had gained popularity in
the office so much people from other *departments were coming down to Product Dev just to play. As time went on my work was suffering due to the obnoxious people playing 24/7
**My solution was to get so *good at the game and make people not want to play more, allowing me to continue to work in peace.

**I began to play the game 24/7. The key to the game quite simple beat up your opponent and get the final hit*to humiliate your opponent

One particular night I was fighting a friend and when finish him
Came on screen I did a reverse
Fireball with low punch and the screen had gone dark, Kano had put his hand into sub-zero chest and pulled out his heart. That was the first experience of a*Fatality . From that point on my goal had simply been to figure out all the fatalities. I would play every chance I had in order to find all the fatalities.*
*Through much trial and error not only did I find all the fatals, but learned moves could be chained into combos unlike street fighter, these combos were earned no a given. You had to perform each move
Individually in order to combo.

So as time went on I began to get pretty good at the game. It had gotten to the point I would play people one handed and still win, or even give 1 and 1/2 rounds before I would begin to play.*
*Now the game had finally been release publicly to the arcades and my company at the time Acclaim and their Marketing group wanted me to go out. And promote the game to the public. So I started by going to various location on Long island to play. The first was a place called Garden city bowling a 24/7 bowling alley which had the game.*
*This is the first time I had met a guy name Mike a 20 something year old stoner who lived on the game. We would play all night to the wee hours of the morning. I suggested we go to other location to play and we set out to a place that would become famous for the best MK players around.*
** * * * *Once their I met a lot of good players and together we kind of formed a mash up of cultures. We were comprised of whites, Asians, blacks, Indians, rich and poor kids.
**Westbury nathans had now become the best place to play the best MK players. *I would be able to sit on the machine and rack up 50 wins in a row, and our posse would be able to do the same.
Back in the day unlike, today you valued your win more because it actually cost you money, not some free online crap of today. Where you yell on a mic and say "you cheat and suck"

Nor could you just walk into an Arcade and just start whooping ass in games and not expect the local guys to try an rob or sight you. There were 5 rules to follow

1. Never ever go to and arcade without you friends.

2. Do no mouth off to a guy who
Looked like he would fuck you up

3. If you were going to hustle for money do it a a group, solo leads you *open for and ass whooping NY style

4. Always put your quarter on the machine and count. Never cut somebody who already had their quarter ahead of you

5. NY rule only pussies throw, if you did it you gave it back. Never understood theory. Reasoning was because throws do so much damage that it took the level of skilled playing away

If you followed these rules then odds are not only did you walk from the
Arcades, fight free but also maybe with more MK friends.

Now by this time I was working on the home versions of MK. Nintendo from the get go made it clear no blood and no head removals . Then at the absolute minute they said Kano could not rip out a heart. That is why there is no heart in his hand u was never satisfied with final version of the Snes version.

Sega which may have not looked a pretty but played much better. For this all they asked was for a code to turn of blood. I at the time was big int U2 and Genesis, came across a song from genesis called abacab. I thought since the system was called genesis what a perfect code. !"

Not satisfied with nintendo version I work with Sculpture Software on a version which would be known as MK nitro. This would be a version in which blood was crystals, Shang , Goro, and reptile were all playable, with the addition of the original Kung Lao from the main story. Unfortunately, WMS was already at working on *MK 2 and thought it would cut into sales so it was rejected.

****more to come if interested****

Next chapter of story will consist of the beginning of down fall. MK2, the Internet and IRC, and gaming secrets

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What's up James, this is "Shocker" haha. I'm glad to see you have a reawakened interest in the tournament scene. I myself am a gamer from way back, between Nit and Joe, as I just turned 30 this year, but rest assured I was going all around NJ playing people in MK and SF as often as possible in my early to mid teens. It's an experience that only people from that generation can remember because even the tournament scene, as you said, is different. It's more of a concentrated, exploded version of the arcade scene, almost contrived but it's necessary. You get everything you want, with ten times the competition, and most of the players are better than anyone we ever played, and that's why I love it. That and no cigarette smoke or thugs.

"5. NY rule only pussies throw, if you did it you gave it back. Never understood theory. Reasoning was because throws do so much damage that it took the level of skilled playing away"

This is, and always has been completely asinine and ridiculous. I had to deal with people having a fit and not liking throws in NJ as well, likely NY or PA players, I never gave back throws, and I never got beaten up. Throws are a vital part of any game, and if someone complained about being thrown, I would throw them even more in SF. Anyone who's ever played me in SF knows that my throw setups are legendary. They were designed as a way to get pressure off you or make someone move if they were turtling. Throw damage came down significantly in fighting games over time and they introduced tech systems out the ass, requiring more skill.

Otherwise, I would definitely like to hear more about your experiences, always a good time. Nice meeting you at ECT and I'll see you soon.

jamessmk

I am your god
We may have played in the hey day as well.

What's up James, this is "Shocker" haha. I'm glad to see you have a reawakened interest in the tournament scene. I myself am a gamer from way back, between Nit and Joe, as I just turned 30 this year, but rest assured I was going all around NJ playing people in MK and SF as often as possible in my early to mid teens. It's an experience that only people from that generation can remember because even the tournament scene, as you said, is different. It's more of a concentrated, exploded version of the arcade scene, almost contrived but it's necessary. You get everything you want, with ten times the competition, and most of the players are better than anyone we ever played, and that's why I love it. That and no cigarette smoke or thugs.

"5. NY rule only pussies throw, if you did it you gave it back. Never understood theory. Reasoning was because throws do so much damage that it took the level of skilled playing away"

This is, and always has been completely asinine and ridiculous. I had to deal with people having a fit and not liking throws in NJ as well, likely NY or PA players, I never gave back throws, and I never got beaten up. Throws are a vital part of any game, and if someone complained about being thrown, I would throw them even more in SF. Anyone who's ever played me in SF knows that my throw setups are legendary. They were designed as a way to get pressure off you or make someone move if they were turtling. Throw damage came down significantly in fighting games over time and they introduced tech systems out the ass, requiring more skill.

Otherwise, I would definitely like to hear more about your experiences, always a good time. Nice meeting you at ECT and I'll see you soon.

After I left Long Island I moved to East Brunswick NJ, there I ran the arcade on Rt 18 in the mall. Funny when Nit went to intro me to Bill, he remembered me from that aracde, down to my old dirty brown jacket. Did not know he was a NJ guy.

Noob
James, it's great that you're coming back to the scene. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more of the stories. As an old school gamer myself, I get exactly where you're coming from, and I was once one of the people who didn't throw by rule either. That has since changed...LOL... throws are a main part of my game now. Anyway... great to see you, and I'll see you in Valley Stream!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
What's going on dude? So you joined up huh? Interesting, hope to play more matches with you soon ;)

james were u involved in some mk2 arcade strategy guides? i owned a couple back then and i swear i remember the name james fink.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
jersey shore up in this bitch. big fink coming through with the history. RDA got his beatdown in umk3 im happy

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You're from Jersey Shore?

Got your IM james, nice responce lol. Neat ;) So you know the deal with that, great...I just responded to you ;) but thanks for the advice since I didn't want to go off topic here.

jamessmk

I am your god
As I slowly ween back into the gaming community after a almost 20 years hiatus I notice many things have changed.
1. People seem to be nice and the competition seems more friendly, yet I still see many sore losers and sore winners.
2. On the downside, with the Internet and all I noticed that people lack the creativity that used to be. People tend to lack the skill set overall to be creative with their own gameplay style. It seems now all people do it go to YouTube watch combos and mimic the biggest..... Come people be original.
3. The terminology has changed a lot. People went from being a prick to SALTY. People went from cheesy to spamming. Yet, at same time seems that everything goes nowadays.
4. Tournaments....Tournaments........
Tournaments....definitely a good thing. Competitor skills are up and the quality of tournaments is ran better, thanks to people like Big E, Phil, Shock.
5. West coasts still whack... East wi always be da beast ;)
Overall the new gaming scene is more pleasurable. But cant help to miss the real fighting. Ain't nothing wrong with a good scrap once in a while. Until next time peace.

Save your tears for funeral and weddings. Not video games

aj1701

Noob
4. Always put your quarter on the machine and count. Never cut somebody who already had their quarter ahead of you
Brings back memories. Didn't have much of a "scene" myself back then. The local "arcade" was a few machines in the back of a hobby shop. But we had a decent crowd. Just after I started, MK2 was out and there were always about 10 - 15 of us.

Alas never got really great at the arcade, didn't have enough money to keep popping quarters in. Thanks for your work on the SNES ports, even without the blood better than nothing (and MK2 did have the blood!). Only played a few times on the Genesis ports (only had one friend that had one).

jamessmk

I am your god
Yes sir, the days Where I could smoke while playing. You new I was in your arcade because I would burn the machine by start button from leaving cigarette on it. Many fights over cutting quarters. Good shit

jamessmk

I am your god
Every arcade had that kid, the kid who would walk around with print out of FAQ from alt.newsgroups.MK. And sell them to people

jamessmk

I am your god
So now, a lot of people have asked me why and what happened to me in the video game business. Why I quit. Well, for starters I did not quit. While working for Acclaim I was at a point in my life, where I had my dream job. Unfortunately, the industry is filled with scumbags, the biggest one is a jerk off named Steve miles. For some reason or another he just did not like me. See I was considered the final test, for games to get final approval before being submit to NOA or Sega. With that I took the job very serious and was very critical on games, which offended many. See the CEO of the company did not care of quality, it was more of quantity. This is where I clashed with many. My attitude was give a solid fun game, and people will by from you in the future. So with that, this scumbag systematically made me look like a spy. Saying I had taken a version of MK and put it on a BB's in England. Told me go home no big deal, then called me that night to tell me to come in before anyone else get my stuff, I was fired. I wad crushed. I remember speaking to Ed Boon that week, because I wanted him to know it was bullshit. He said he believed me. So, after a short break I would try to get back in the business only to find out I was blackballed. I got work in the only part of business where I could, the media side. I met a lot of people in magazine and book side, over the years. They would constantly call me to leak info. So I began to do guides for Mort Kombat for various publication.
So a word of advise for anyone who really wants to get in the gaming business "watch your ass, and protect yourself" there are people always looking to screw you over.

Anyway until next time

Remember save you tears for weddings and funerals!!!