What's new

Match-up Discussion I've got a slight Hat Problem...

I'm having trouble with Kung Lao match ups, especially with those who turtle forcing me to get in close because I can't connect a smoke bomb. Problem is, when I try to get in close... SPIN, and then I eat a combo.. :(. Any tips on getting past this?

Against a kung Lao i'll always use a Mileena or Reptile, Maybe you should look around here for someone who has a good kabal and than you can spar with him?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Hes saying that you should drop smoke and pick up kabal for KL matches. A bit of a dodge to your question on how to beat spin. Also a turtling KL is something i dont see often, but if hes spamming you with hats then shake it on reaction, if hes teleporting you, then block and punish, oh, and golden rule vs KL is to NEVER JUMP. if you jump you eat a combo because you WILL get punished for using one of this games most heavily relied on aspects, because every game just needs that one character or the community would die of having nothing to whine about . hope this helped you

Trust me its a very odd thing to see, but I think its because they know I cant do anything damage wise (2% chip ex smoke bomb..greattttt) unless Im up close. Close enough to get caught up in some typical KL mess. Shake usually does me no good because some of them dont even throw projectiles, so I have no clue what to do with Smoke except the very risky smoke towards, back 2, 3 smoke bomb combo starter

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Smoke has better tools to deal with Kung Lao than a lot of the character suggestions in this thread. KL is a known problem for Kabal, Mileena and Reptile.

When you predict a spin you need to block and then (sorry I'm not well versed with his strings) punish with the chop launch kick (I believe 2, 4) into a smoke bomb for a combo.

Shake the hats.

When you want to pressure you need to jump and teleport to make your teleport whiff over his head. If he jumps you catch him if he stays grounded you've risked nothing because your teleport will whiff and smoke will fall behind him.

Off of your combos you want to end with air throw, this is because smoke gets a free teleport while the opponent wakes up and is granted advantage to pressure Kung Lao on wake up.

Block low, Kung Lao's advantage on his pressure strings is very reliant on hitting you low. Don't allow him to do this and work on reacting to his overheads with fuzzy guard. If he hits you with an overhead, no big deal he pushes you away and you've escaped his pressure. You risk a lot more by blocking high against Kung Lao, stay low.

Good luck!

Smoke has better tools to deal with Kung Lao than a lot of the character suggestions in this thread. KL is a known problem for Kabal, Mileena and Reptile.

When you predict a spin you need to block and then (sorry I'm not well versed with his strings) punish with the chop launch kick (I believe 2, 4) into a smoke bomb for a combo.

Shake the hats.

When you want to pressure you need to jump and teleport to make your teleport whiff over his head. If he jumps you catch him if he stays grounded you've risked nothing because your teleport will whiff and smoke will fall behind him.

Off of your combos you want to end with air throw, this is because smoke gets a free teleport while the opponent wakes up and is granted advantage to pressure Kung Lao on wake up.

Block low, Kung Lao's advantage on his pressure strings is very reliant on hitting you low. Don't allow him to do this and work on reacting to his overheads with fuzzy guard. If he hits you with an overhead, no big deal he pushes you away and you've escaped his pressure. You risk a lot more by blocking high against Kung Lao, stay low.

Good luck!
The block low tips are definitely going to help, I didnt realize his overhead wasn't as dangerous as most others! So thank you for that :)
As for getting in to punish with the chop combo starter, Spin really threatens most options I have, it can be tough getting past.

Shake the hats.

Good luck!
I play Ermac but some of the tips given even help me! Thank you!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
My thoughts on the KL matchup from the Jackalope thread

KT Smith NYC said:
You can only get damage against Lao with b+2, oki, and punishes (excluding lucky risk payoffs). You can't fight him inside spin range, you just can't. but then again no character can. As soon as your opponent sees you'll be doing anything up in his face they can spin you out of it. You also can't jump against KL ever ever ever. If you get away with jumping in a KL match that just means your opponent wasn't on the ball or had a bad reaction.

The secret to beating KL from neutral is spacing. You gotta stay at sweep distance or just outside, because that's where he can't reach you without moving in, but you can hit him with b+2 or dash cancel a sweep or something to start oki. KL is very vulnerable in Smoke's oki game, just make better reads and he's toast. If he rolls at you block; if he spins punish. If he does anything else GTFO with drift or b+3 to send him fullscreen or EX shake or something, just get out of there. If he catches you in his rushdown you're screwed.

I was doing really well against Check's KL with this strategy. He ended up winning more matches than I beat him, but they were close games.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Such a good match. Godlike pokes from Aris; won him the match in my opinion.

The Kung WOW matchup is more about what you can't do, and it's a lot of shit. So if you can stay out of doing all the stuff you can't, you can do well against any KL player.