What's new

Video/Tutorial It's 3 years late, but I took NRS's Challenge

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I bet your heart was beating the blood out of you when you did random teleports loll
In all honesty, not really. I was just prepared to restart every time, it doesn't take long at all to get up to Mileena.

Unfortunately, the random tele's are the only thing you can really do to stop her from just hitting you with a random divekick :(

The game doesn't get easier the more you fail. The AI remains the same.

The difference is that when you fail over and over, you either get a full health bar after each fight, or you get buffs on top of the AI opponents. I don't know which one, as my Challenge Tower is still pre-nerf, as I haven't lost enough.
For the Challenge Tower, it seems to, actually. I've gone through the entire Tower, no skipping, four times now (once on Xbox 360, twice on PlayStation Vita, and just recently on PC), and after several losses the AI stops reacting as fast, and doesn't combo as hard.

This is really noticeable with Mileena in Challenge 300, as at first, she robotically counters a lot, but after several losses, she starts letting you hit her more :p.

For Challenge 300, after loosing several times, you start getting some health back after each opponent, not full health, and no buffs.

A more fun challenge would be to beat challenge tower 300 on your first try (no flawless since its impossible).
That's my goal. What I do is try, and if I fail, quite back to the tower and start again so the difficulty resets.

I almost, _almost_ did it on my second attempt a few weeks ago, got to Shao Khan with little health left, but did something stupid and died for it.

The best I've ever done in the Tower, without quitting to the Tower to reset, was on my third attempt. So the Challenge's difficulty had dropped twice. Mileena is _slightly_ easier there, and that was enough for my Kitana. Did that on my Vita version of the game.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
During IGAU development Jay (the guy in the video giving the challenge) came to the QA lab and challenged all of us. His Flash versus our best character, but we weren't allowed to see the screen, only listen. I lost with Doomsday, 16bit lost with Catwoman, he was then beaten by one of the guys using Deathstroke. Thus ended his competitive IGAU career.

@PND_Ketchup Watched the video, and great stuff. With the characters I main I don't expect to ever get a Flawless on that Challenge.

FYI for Shao Khan, you can indeed cross him up just like Goro and Kintaro, save that you need to be a little more careful on your timing so you don't get hit by his Hammer Upswing.

PND_Ketchup

@PND_Ketchup Watched the video, and great stuff. With the characters I main I don't expect to ever get a Flawless on that Challenge.

FYI for Shao Khan, you can indeed cross him up just like Goro and Kintaro, save that you need to be a little more careful on your timing so you don't get hit by his Hammer Upswing.
That's why I sit fullscreen against kahn, I don't like getting hit by his hammer uppcercut while crossing him up. Haha!

That's why I sit fullscreen against kahn, I don't like getting hit by his hammer uppcercut while crossing him up. Haha!
Ha, that works too! When I was learning to fight him, I found I did better when I was constantly in his face, so I refined that. I typically bait him into throwing a projectile so I can jump it and combo, then I start my cross ups.

The only time he hits me with a swing now is if I'm off my game in the corner. Messes up my spacing.

The game doesn't get easier the more you fail. The AI remains the same.

The difference is that when you fail over and over, you either get a full health bar after each fight, or you get buffs on top of the AI opponents. I don't know which one, as my Challenge Tower is still pre-nerf, as I haven't lost enough.
It definately gets easier. If you keep losing at one point the AI will almost stop moving lol.

PND_Ketchup

It definately gets easier. If you keep losing at one point the AI will almost stop moving lol.
Whenever I do the challenge tower, it's literally the same every time, from the first to the last time I played it, mileena will always wakeup attack or neutral jump when you're out of roll distance, which makes the teleport your only option to avoid getting hit. May be because I just restart rather than letting the game fail, but it seems the same to me.

I haven't experienced the nerf yet either when the game gives you health back after each fight. kinda disappointed they patched it to make it easier for people, considering it's meant to be the hardest challenge in the game.

Gotta be because you restart before loosing. If you actually fail the challenge and restart without going back to the Tower menu, it will slowly get easier.