What's new

Issues with Shang. Both personal and actual bugs

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
I was having a character crisis when I saw the character line up and was getting worried I wouldn't have anyone to play. I love my evil characters but I also love my zoning and none of the characters gave real good zoning vibes. Rain looked like a shit zoner from the moment I saw him and Ashrah.... anyways, when they showed Shang I was so happy. He also had a ""layer of complexity"" to him with his form change so maybe people wouldn't whine if I started zoning cause ChArAcTeR HaRd. That wasn't the case cause people just don't like zoning. W/E

Shang is fun to play when he works but even at his best, he still feels really clunky. I don't know who pissed in whose cereal at NRS but damn they really didn't like Shang. He's a buggy ass mess to keep it short.

I wouldn't recommend the character for the bugs alone. These bugs have existed since the start of the game BAR 1 the one where he goes invisible between rounds when walking back. That one can stay and is funny. They could maybe make it an Easter Egg of you playing Sysoth instead of Shang since they do have an interaction like that.
The other bugs are gameplay bugs and IMO massive ones. It makes him so much harder to play than I'm sure even they intended. I honestly wish someone could fix it through mods to show it could be done. I only use Unity and MK1 is in Unreal and probably a customized version. W/E

The fact no one plays this character only makes it more annoying to find bugs.

Bug Report link below. Please vote for it so these bugs can be fixed.

Now lets also get into the weird choices they made for his kit.
Neutral Form Change has startup/recovery.

Why though? What sense does this make? You can do everything besides Guard while Form Changing with no stops inbetween. It feels like forced punishment for form changing with no action. Stephanie even mentioned you're suppose to be swapping between forms. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if the input bugs didn't exist. It's not like it builds meter either.
Solution - Make neutral form change instant.

Form Change Lock Out is too long.

The lock out duration is way too long. A combo like this isn't all that hard. The hardest part is how close you are to the Lock Out duration.
It's not like form changing cuts the recovery time down. It simply changes your move set. Morph also shares the same Lock Out timer as regular Form Change so if I EX Morph into the opponent's Shang for extra damage and try to do a Form Change string right after, I won't get the string. It's so dumb!
Solution - Cut the lock out time in half. Separate Morph and Form Change lock out duration

Morph feels really worthless this time around.

Normally Morph would make matchups 5-5 but that was because every game up until now had been 1v1's. Morphing is just too situational as you may not have a good Kameo for the stolen character. I wouldn't want to morph into Johnny Cage if I have Motaro. Morphing in general feels convoluted.
  1. Get enough of an advantage to morph
  2. Know how to play their character with YOUR Kameo
  3. Adjust mid fight to the situation you're in with a new character+kameo
  4. Try to find advantage to revert back
An example of a common morph situation that doesn't involve a Kameo would be: Shang morphs into Kitana to use Wind Bomb then morph back. The wind bomb is gone before you even get to do a fireball because the whole sequence takes so long.
Solution - Make morphing smoother
  1. Change the Morph/Un-morph input to Up+Stance Switch. Have it function exactly like Form Change. Easier input that accomplishes the same goal.
  2. Have the morph lock out be double the lock out duration of Form Change now.
I would happily take a 30% damage reduction to Non-EX Morph damage and a reduction in morph duration in exchange for smoothly moving in and out of move sets. That's where the real technical challenge will come from.
EX Morph could make the damage normal and have the morph duration match current Non-EX Morph duration.
EX Injection would act the same was as current, giving the damage boost and increased duration.
Concerns - How would it work if you did a string into morph? It will just stop the string unless you cancel it into a special that the morph form has. For example. Shang doesn't have a BF3 input but Liu Kang does. You could do F4121 Morph BF3 Un-Morph. It would be a mix of Shang's form change and Shinnok's special steal.

Triple Fireball/Far Ground Skull Input seems hard for the sake of being hard.

Can I do the input? Yea. Is it easier than doing DF HOLD F or BDF? Hell no. Currently, if you mess up the DBF input you get Double Fireball which isn't terrible but you also get Close Ground Skull which is the terrible and makes no sense when you consider you're trying to get Far Ground Skull.
Solution - Make the input DF Hold F1 or BDF1
Either solution would be fine. It would be easier to slide on a D-Pad/Analog/Joystick. If you mess up you will get Mid Ground Skull which has more of a chance to hit than a Close Ground Skull.
Sorry for the weird formatting. I just needed to get this out in some way and I kept putting it off.

Last edited: