What's new

Question - Kung Lao Issues cancelling into divekick

QXD

Noob
So, over the past 2 weeks I've been learning Lao. His BNB's, 112124 string, even linking orbiting hat into 44 pretty consistently are all things i have gotten down with practice. BUT i'm still having a lot of trouble with hitting jik 3 into divekick consistently. even when i practice it the timing seems to change on me. does it have anything to do with f23 changing stances?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So, over the past 2 weeks I've been learning Lao. His BNB's, 112124 string, even linking orbiting hat into 44 pretty consistently are all things i have gotten down with practice. BUT i'm still having a lot of trouble with hitting jik 3 into divekick consistently. even when i practice it the timing seems to change on me. does it have anything to do with f23 changing stances?
This game's cancels are just wonky as shit.
During our matches, I was literally unable to cancel into fans. Lag is a major factor as well as the horrible cancel mechanics in the game itself.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Because you press j3 and then you press d/f4.
You need to press j3...d4.
The dive kick doesn't come out if you press the down/forward.
I had the same problem and eventually solved with practice.

During our matches, I was literally unable to cancel into fans. Lag is a major factor as well as the horrible cancel mechanics in the game itself.
Lag is always the real issue.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Shouldn't do. This can be a little tricky at first but later on you'll wonder why you ever struggled at all with it.
Basically, after the instant the J3 connects, you have all the way until you hit the ground to press that Divekick. If it's not coming out at all, you are going too early (or screwing the input). If it's coming out and whiffing, it's going too late. If just a divekick is coming out, you are pressing J3 slightly too early.

Also this, if you are playing online. However shouldn't be an issue for local multiplayer / bot play

Because you press j3 and then you press d/f4.
You need to press j3...d4.
The dive kick doesn't come out if you press the down/forward.
I had the same problem and eventually solved with practice.
This too. It's a very easy input to do wrong at first, because it's kinda intuitive that you want to "aim" your kick down & towards them, and not directly down. This can mess it up too.

GL

Last edited:

QXD

Noob
I have issues offline as well. But I totally agree the cancel windows in this game are really weird. Not super hard but weird.

QXD

Noob
Shouldn't do. This can be a little tricky at first but later on you'll wonder why you ever struggled at all with it.
Basically, after the instant the J3 connects, you have all the way until you hit the ground to press that Divekick. If it's not coming out at all, you are going too early (or screwing the input). If it's coming out and whiffing, it's going too late. If just a divekick is coming out, you are pressing J3 slightly too early.

Also this, if you are playing online. However shouldn't be an issue for local multiplayer / bot play

This too. It's a very easy input to do wrong because it's kinda intuitive that you want to "aim" your kick directly down, and not down and towards them. This can mess it up too.

GL
Honestly that would make a LOT of sense. I knew I had less issues on hitbox for a reason. When I hit the lab again, ill keep that in mind.