What's new

Is this skill?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This is not skill.
The way mkx plays may make people doubt whether the players even have skill since the game is so "spammy" as unprofessionally one would say.
But if you doubt Steady's skill, go watch him in other games.

DavS13

Noob
The way mkx plays may make people doubt whether the players even have skill since the game is so "spammy" as unprofessionally one would say.
But if you doubt Steady's skill, go watch him in other games.
I have. Its the same braindead tactic used over and over. Not saying he's a bad player, but no competent fighting game should allow someone to get away with this shit. If I didn't love this franchise I would simply accept it for what it is and move on, never complaining.

A lot of those b14s hes landing, are hitting from the get go- hes hit confirming and going for full damage, if he sees you block the b14, he can continue with the three way mix up (or cancel out and do shenanigans) but if you see in advance that the initial string is hitting, why do the low ender/grab? Welcome to thsetplay

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
no competent fighting game
^ This. MK, buddy. Hate to break it to you but MK is the least competent fighting game there is. "Spammy", braindead, but that doesn't discredit the skill of the players playing it. We got some straight badasses playing it.
/thread

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Anyone can do a 50/50 or apply a vortex but it's the spacing and reads that take place before this that shows 'skill'. I've only been watching for 6 minutes and seen this guy run under and punish a neutral jump punch and his skill is brought into question?

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
I haven't spent much time with her, but I'm pretty sure you can cancel her high and her low into MS, and then hit confirm into a full combo. If they block it, you have more than enough time to cancel your MS into a block, and you'll be something like -5.

That is the definition of a safe 50/50, so calling her "super unsafe" seems odd to me.
B1 4 is easily poked out of. b33 is doable but timings are weird and you are shifting momentum to your opponent which is bad for sonya. Your better off continuing pressure because she thrives in continuous pressure with mixups. Trying to play a safe sonya is retarded, especially with how Military stance can be blown up by players with command grabs or you just get straight mixed up by your opponent since your negative after cancel. She is a balls to the wall character that overwhelms, allowing players a chance at offensive is terrible since she has poor defensive options for Armour on wakeup which are unsafe.

infamy23

FireBeard
B1 4 is easily poked out of. b33 is doable but timings are weird and you are shifting momentum to your opponent which is bad for sonya. Your better off continuing pressure because she thrives in continuous pressure with mixups. Trying to play a safe sonya is retarded, especially with how Military stance can be blown up by players with command grabs or you just get straight mixed up by your opponent since your negative after cancel. She is a balls to the wall character that overwhelms, allowing players a chance at offensive is terrible since she has poor defensive options for Armour on wakeup which are unsafe.

Well that may be true but you can't just ignore the fact that she can hit confirm her meterless 33/33/33 into -5

You know how many characters would kill for something like that?

Also it's misleading to say that she is giving up pressure, because the defender has no idea what she's going to do out of MS, so he'd be risking 30% of his health if he tried to press anything and she ends up cancelling into overhead or low. The only way someone is going to try and shift to offense in that situation is if they make a hard read that she is going to block, and they have a 25% chance of guessing right that she will do that.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Well that may be true but you can't just ignore the fact that she can hit confirm her meterless 33/33/33 into -5

You know how many characters would kill for something like that?

Also it's misleading to say that she is giving up pressure, because the defender has no idea what she's going to do out of MS, so he'd be risking 30% of his health if he tried to press anything and she ends up cancelling into overhead or low. The only way someone is going to try and shift to offense in that situation is if they make a hard read that she is going to block, and they have a 25% chance of guessing right that she will do that.
Its an option but its not one that your going to confirm on block. My buddy plays sonya and we run 40-50 matches straight at at time. He cancels sometimes like your saying but its not something he is doing as a reaction to me blocking his b1 4, which is the only string he does it on becasue b33 or b332 whiffs, he is doing it as a mixup as a combo re-starter not as a way to safely block the next mixup which is what your saying it could be good for.. I believe she has one other string can cancel on but it gets blown up because it doesn't have enough hit stun to keep you from hitting him before his cancel to block. When you have your opponent feeling the pressure it is a good mixup option for a new combo if they are respecting you via a cross over 1 or raw new mixup. However 7/10 times I poke with a d1 which if confirms against his block, I go into my own cross over jump or if I feel he might counter poke, armour counter. If he doesn't cancel, and goes for any of the MS low/ overhead grab options, overhead and MS grab gets poked out of. The only one that will consistent blow you up is low if the player doesn't commit to a low block because it creates a continuous string with no gaps and it can be delayed as a frame trap, however wait to long and it can be neutral jumped out of. Since MS low is super unsafe, I just take my chances either committing to low block, or d1/ Jumping out to blow up other options. If I do commit to low block and it doesn't come within its window it could, its all up to my reactions to defend against anything else.