What's new

Is there a reason Kabal needs to always be the best character in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean besides "he's Kabal" and other nonsense that contributes nothing to discussion.

The character really killed my enjoyment of MK9, and the first thing I thought of after his MK11 reveal was that he was going to have every tool in his toolbox. And lo and behold he does. I really don't get who at NRS wants us to have to play against him constantly and watch Kabal mirrors in every tournament top 8 for every game he's in.

Rant aside, does anyone know of any serious reasons why it's always like this? Or think there's plausible reason to expect he'll be substantially toned down? Seriously harshing my groove for a game I've really been anticipating.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
... I did make a Kabal forum, didn't I?

Anyway... I really hope this doesn't go down the 2011 road... I am super happy Kabal is back and he is not Kabal without his spin.

You did, Storms, but I felt this would seem unnecessarily (and unintentionally) trollish to post there, plus I wanted to get diverse opinions and not just those of Kabal players.

And I hope this doesn't become a 2011 repeat too, but it will if Kabal's balance goes live in anything like the state it was in for the beta. It's a shame, too, because I like the character's presence in the game, at least in theory.

Is there a reason why people need to complain about Kabal being the best character in every game?
He was the best character out of 5 characters in a pre-release build. Doesn't mean he'll be the best character out of 25 characters in the final game.
Given that a whole generation of MK (arguably the most significant one in modern fighting games) was dominated almost entirely by this character (with a side of Kung Lao), and given that that dominance was so profound that it's still remembered years after the game has died, you don't think that giving players their first taste of him since that time in a format that eerily recreates the same feeling he had back then is MAYBE a bad call on NRS's part?

It was a beta.

I love to theory craft A LOT, trust me, but calling something too strong at this point is a no-no.
Normally I'd 100% agree. But this situation's got history, and it's bad history, and it represents a potentially serious blow to MK11's longevity that I for one am willing to engage in a little pre-release discussion if it might help us avoid repeating that history.

Somebodies got to be the best.
Untrue. You can have a diverse cast with compressed tiers and a handful of characters who each are SLIGHTY better than the rest in ONE or TWO areas combat. Lots of modern FGs have pulled off this kind of balance. NRS games just haven't really been among them.

Honestly the only thing that felt a bit OD to me was his fatal blow. Other than that, his toolset didn't seem like anything super crazy.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'd like to think it's part of his character now. A mid-tier Kabal wouldn't be Kabal at all. It's so ingrained in his reputation now.

I don't know what anyone thinks it accomplishes to point out that this is the beta. I obviously know it's the beta and things can and will change. The entire premise this discussion is founded on is *what if it *doesn't* change* and we get a repeat of MK9? Obviously, given that it's a repeat, and NRS let THAT Kabal go live and survive repeated balance patching, letting this Kabal go live and completely dominate MK11 is not an impossibility.

G11OST

Noob
Probably burned for this but send me to the neterrealm, imma ghost already ;).

I'm with OP. His zoning SEEMED very strong with low mid and air projectiles complimented with the run which leads to full punish. His neutral SEEMED very strong with his long ranged hooks that could not be counter poked if blocked. His combo potential and mix ups SEEMED very strong with his OH and low options.

I did not use him during the beta and only fought him maybe 30 times more or less so my perception may be one sided or have holes.

Would love to see counter arguments.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I don't know what anyone thinks it accomplishes to point out that this is the beta. I obviously know it's the beta and things can and will change. The entire premise this discussion is founded on is *what if it *doesn't* change* and we get a repeat of MK9? Obviously, given that it's a repeat, and NRS let THAT Kabal go live and survive repeated balance patching, letting this Kabal go live and completely dominate MK11 is not an impossibility.
I get what you're saying but I'm not going to worry about it right now. We'll see when the game comes out.

I just hope they nerf him to an unusable state just so I don't have to hear that lame-assed "You got the spins" line anymore.

Or that they take away that line because it ruined the character for me and made him unplayable because it meant I'd need to hear it more often if I was using the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.