What's new

Is the PDP Stick worth it?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
The physical stick's gates are worse than a lot of TE sticks. I can tell you from friend's experience with both sticks that you will be limited in what you can do with a PDP.

Alright so I'll be getting MK9 for Christmas and I'm wondering a few things.

First I would like to know if the PDP Tournament stick is worth it? I heard it helps you.. and I sometimes have a few issues with combos and the analog stick in my MK:Deception game I dusted off and have been playing.

Secondly do many people still play this? I'll be playing on the Xbox 360.. I would like to play online matches once in awhile.

Alright all that aside I also might get the Arcade Kollection. I was wondering if the PDP stick works for this game? And if the game has any players on Xbox Live to play against.

If the PDP stick isn't good.. What stick should a beginner look to use? I plan to play MK mostly.. Since it's the fighter I grew up with and I'm trying to get back into it.. I might try getting into other fighters though. Not sure.. I just know I love MK.
Here, check out my PDP stick tutorial video. This might help you decide:

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
The only issue I kinda have with the pdp stick as to the madcatz stick is at times I feel like my inputs on the actual stick are not as sharp as I would want them to be. It's really preference when it comes down to it I play MK2 on the pdp stick. I play Mk9 on the Madcatz te now also the one other thing I like yet could see some people disliking is the button layout on the madcatz stick but I think the stick has its perks as far as the spacing between buttons being closer than the pdp stick. It's really a toss up I bought the te stick for street fighter and kof but I tried it out with mk and liked it more for my kitana play than the pdp one I feel that my instant air fans are just lower and tighter on execution on that te than the pdp. It's all choice tbh whatever you feel is better is what I would go with but you can't go wrong with both tbh.

The only issue I kinda have with the pdp stick as to the madcatz stick is at times I feel like my inputs on the actual stick are not as sharp as I would want them to be. It's really preference when it comes down to it I play MK2 on the pdp stick. I play Mk9 on the Madcatz te now also the one other thing I like yet could see some people disliking is the button layout on the madcatz stick but I think the stick has its perks as far as the spacing between buttons being closer than the pdp stick. It's really a toss up I bought the te stick for street fighter and kof but I tried it out with mk and liked it more for my kitana play than the pdp one I feel that my instant air fans are just lower and tighter on execution on that te than the pdp. It's all choice tbh whatever you feel is better is what I would go with but you can't go wrong with both tbh.

I suppose I could just buy the klassic stick (Since that's better than tournament stick?) and try it out.. if I don't like it oh well.. and if I do I can maybe get a Madcatz in the future.

nope, not at all. Only staff can see it. dont worry :)
Ah.. Right.. Well that's a little better I suppose.

Anywho I won't be able to get a stick until January 1st when I can order it online.. I hope they still have Klassic sticks with the DLC code at that time.
I still have a few weeks to really think about it too. Though I'll be getting the game on Christmas I assume.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I used a PDP for all of my tournaments so far including season's beatings.

DON'T GET IT. It's terrible. You have to move the stick so far to do motions like down to forward. The buttons suck.

It's weird because I jocked this stick for awhile. I recently bought a Qanba Q4RAF and my game has improved immediately. I can actually tell what direction I'm hitting and exactly when due to the 4 direction gate. You also said you might play other fighters. You can't really play any other fighters on the MK stick. I tried to play UMVC3 on it but it was unbearable so I played that game on a pad until I got my Qanba. Not to mention this stick is heavy. It's made pretty well, but it's too big and heavy to comfortably carry around a tournament.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I used a PDP for all of my tournaments so far including season's beatings.

DON'T GET IT. It's terrible. You have to move the stick so far to do motions like down to forward. The buttons suck.

It's weird because I jocked this stick for awhile. I recently bought a Qanba Q4RAF and my game has improved immediately. I can actually tell what direction I'm hitting and exactly when due to the 4 direction gate. You also said you might play other fighters. You can't really play any other fighters on the MK stick. I tried to play UMVC3 on it but it was unbearable so I played that game on a pad until I got my Qanba. Not to mention this stick is heavy. It's made pretty well, but it's too big and heavy to comfortably carry around a tournament.
Its all preference man, but yea, the stock parts on the PDP sticks arent very good. But its fixable, and ive been saying that since earlier this year. Change the parts out and its a very nice stick. The size is an issue but thats a con, too. I still just cant imagine playing MK on a SF layout, even MK9's layout is so fucking retarded imo.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
MK9's layout is so fucking retarded imo.
Hey, don't knock the stance button. It's pretty awesome for ensuring you're going to piss off online warriors! Seriously, I'm going to start using it to bait jump ins and see what happens lol

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah it's all preference. But for me, once I used the Qanba with a ball top stick, I instantly realized it's more efficient to just flick your wrist with the ball top stick instead of having to move your entire arm for the PDP stick. I also like the 4 gate as opposed to just a circle gate for the pdp. I can feel the directions much easier and it's easier to jump forward. You can feel where up and forward meet... it's like a corner, instead of just guessing where up and forward is on the PDP stick.

And yeah the SF layout was a littler weird to get used to but I like it better. I use the default set up.

1 2 throw tag
3 4 block stance

I can hit 1-4 with my ring and middle finger. Ring finger is always on block. It's a little weird doing ex moves with 1 and 2, but I got used to it. X ray is block and stance as the same time, with ring and pinky.