What's new

Is the PDP Stick worth it?

Alright so I'll be getting MK9 for Christmas and I'm wondering a few things.

First I would like to know if the PDP Tournament stick is worth it? I heard it helps you.. and I sometimes have a few issues with combos and the analog stick in my MK:Deception game I dusted off and have been playing.

Secondly do many people still play this? I'll be playing on the Xbox 360.. I would like to play online matches once in awhile.

Alright all that aside I also might get the Arcade Kollection. I was wondering if the PDP stick works for this game? And if the game has any players on Xbox Live to play against.

If the PDP stick isn't good.. What stick should a beginner look to use? I plan to play MK mostly.. Since it's the fighter I grew up with and I'm trying to get back into it.. I might try getting into other fighters though. Not sure.. I just know I love MK.

A good amount of ppl still play on xbl so finding a match shouldn't be a problem. The PDP stick is only worth it IMO if you grew up playing on sticks and are used to them. I tried one out and didn't like it. I prefer the xbox controller over the stick. It really comes down to personal preference though, as some users prefer a stick. $150 bucks is a lot for the stick so make sure you like it before you buy it.

Well I could get the stick for 100$ at gamestop and I'm already getting the game for free on Christmas..

I've always wanted an arcade system when I was younger, but never got one.. Grew up with controller, but I think the stick would be a cheaper alternative than an arcade system?

Does the stick work with Arcade Kollection?

gdf

Noob
Lots of people still play this, including Xbox Live. I sure hope you can join our offline community as well.

aj1701

Noob
Well I could get the stick for 100$ at gamestop and I'm already getting the game for free on Christmas..

I've always wanted an arcade system when I was younger, but never got one.. Grew up with controller, but I think the stick would be a cheaper alternative than an arcade system?

I think the consensis is you'll need to replace the buttons and joystick to get the best expereince. And yes, the stick will work with MKAK.

Tim Static

Adminerator

Yea stick will work with just about anything, including & especially the Arcade Kollection, but I highly recommend to leave MK Deception alone, mainly because its MK Deception

I think the consensis is you'll need to replace the buttons and joystick to get the best expereince. And yes, the stick will work with MKAK.
yup. unless you buy my stick with IL parts already on it! lol

Well... I don't know how to mod...

I suppose I'll use it til the buttons break or something then figure out how to replace them.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Well... I don't know how to mod...

I suppose I'll use it til the buttons break or something then figure out how to replace them.
Just hit me up man. Ill tell you step by step how to replace them. For real, just shoot me a pm

Sent from Somewhere to Somewhere Else

Yea stick will work with just about anything, including & especially the Arcade Kollection, but I highly recommend to leave MK Deception alone, mainly because its MK Deception

yup. unless you buy my stick with IL parts already on it! lol

I would, but I play Xbox 360. :( Lol.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I played on the PDP stick for months and honestly, its fun to play on, but it has a lot of limitations.

1) If you plan on playing in tourneys, its going to be hard to carry that thing around.
2) The layout is too big and its hard to hit the Back Kick button consistently.

If you wanna buy a stick (which I WOULD recommend) you should get a Madcats one or try to skip the stick all together and get a Hitbox (which may be impossible if you're an XBox player). If you're going to stick with a pad, there's a lot of good fighting game pads out there. You could also get a PS controller converter and just play on that because most (if not all) MK tourneys use Playstations.

Overall, I would not recommend the PDP stick unless you want it for novelty purposes. If you pay attention to the tournament scene, you will not see many (if any) players using it.

Dark_Rob

Noob
If you get the PDP Klassic stick rather than the tournament edition you'll be better off.

1. You dont need to mod it. Thanks to [MENTION=58]9.95[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Tim Static[/MENTION] and myself mercilessly beating down Candice from PDP's door we got them to use real Cherry microswitches instead of the garbage E-switches the tournament edition uses. The Klassic stick is good to go out of the box.

2. It isnt quite as big or quite as heavy as the tournament edition, so it isnt quite as bad if you need to carry it around alot.

3. It has the freakin MK1 arcade panel graphics! it doesnt get any more retro cool than that.

I see... Well would the Brawl Stick or Tekken 6 wireless stick work any better?

Also.. Klassic is better? I really like the look of the tournament stick though..

I don't play fighting games hardcore.. I'm just trying to get into them. I usually play shooters and MMOs the past few years.

Edit. - Klassic stick comes with the arcade kollection, right?
Also are you sure it's better quality than the tournament stick?
Is it easier to mod? I said I didn't know how to mod, but I might someday want to try.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I see... Well would the Brawl Stick or Tekken 6 wireless stick work any better?

Also.. Klassic is better? I really like the look of the tournament stick though..

I don't play fighting games hardcore.. I'm just trying to get into them. I usually play shooters and MMOs the past few years.

Edit. - Klassic stick comes with the arcade kollection, right?
Also are you sure it's better quality than the tournament stick?
Is it easier to mod? I said I didn't know how to mod, but I might someday want to try.

The Brawl stick and tekken 6 stick use crappy Sanwa knock off parts, you would want to mod them to switch out the stick and buttons. The Tekken stick is also wireless which is a big no no in the fighting game world. We already have enough lag to deal with in the world without adding to it with wireless controllers.

I am positive the Klassic stick is better than the Tournament stick. The Tournament stick uses garbage E-switch microswitches for the stick and buttons while the Klassic stick uses genuine Cherry microswitches. Cherry's are proven microswitches that have been the industry standard for use with I.L. and HAPP distributed I.L. parts for many years. When Happ cut ties with I.L. and moved to China they began making their own microswitches to cut costs. These are the E-switches. They are trash and they WILL fail on you.

The Klassic stick is technically easier to mod than the tournament edition just by virtue that there are only 6 camlocks to turn to get to the inside, while the tournament edition has like 18 woodscrews you have to unscrew to get the plastic cover off the top of the lid and get at the parts. But like I said. The Klassic stick does not need to be modded, its good out of the box.

When the Klassic stick was first released it did come with the code to download MKAK. I dont know if that was a limited time deal or if it still does.

The Brawl stick and tekken 6 stick use crappy Sanwa knock off parts, you would want to mod them to switch out the stick and buttons. The Tekken stick is also wireless which is a big no no in the fighting game world. We already have enough lag to deal with in the world without adding to it with wireless controllers.

I am positive the Klassic stick is better than the Tournament stick. The Tournament stick uses garbage E-switch microswitches for the stick and buttons while the Klassic stick uses genuine Cherry microswitches. Cherry's are proven microswitches that have been the industry standard for use with I.L. and HAPP distributed I.L. parts for many years. When Happ cut ties with I.L. and moved to China they began making their own microswitches to cut costs. These are the E-switches. They are trash and they WILL fail on you.

The Klassic stick is technically easier to mod than the tournament edition just by virtue that there are only 6 camlocks to turn to get to the inside, while the tournament edition has like 18 woodscrews you have to unscrew to get the plastic cover off the top of the lid and get at the parts. But like I said. The Klassic stick does not need to be modded, its good out of the box.

When the Klassic stick was first released it did come with the code to download MKAK. I dont know if that was a limited time deal or if it still does.

I see... Well I'm not sure what you're talking about with switches, but I'll take your word for it.

Does Arcade Collection work well on xbox live with the klassic stick? (Also does the stick work for MK9? I think it does just making sure.)

Also.. Why is there so much hate on the Tekken 6 being wireless? I've never really understood that.. My xbox controller is wireless anyway.. What would the difference be?

aj1701

Noob
Well he mentioned XBL and my stick is for PS3 lol. but thanks meng! :coffee:
:facepalm:

I see... Well I'm not sure what you're talking about with switches, but I'll take your word for it.

Does Arcade Collection work well on xbox live with the klassic stick? (Also does the stick work for MK9? I think it does just making sure.)

Also.. Why is there so much hate on the Tekken 6 being wireless? I've never really understood that.. My xbox controller is wireless anyway.. What would the difference be?
Any xbox fight stick will work. You want a wired one to reduce lag, but electronics wise they sent different then any other xbox controller. A stick will with with mk 9 and the collection. The only problem is we're waiting on a patch for the collection to fix online lag. Should be soon supposedly...

Oh, and you will notice mk9 being more responsive with a wired controller. It takes longer for the button presses to reach the console from a wireless controller,i noticed this when I switched to a stick. I didnt believe it at first either, but it's true.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I'll be honest with you. I own both the te and the arcade classic and after playing with them for several months and then just swapping to a madcatz te. I'd go with a madcatz te stick just feels alot smoother in combo's and requires a little less effort for certain things mid combo. Now if you are playing the classics then yes those te and arcade sticks are the best imo I like playing the older games with that stick just feels totally right!

I'll be honest with you. I own both the te and the arcade classic and after playing with them for several months and then just swapping to a madcatz te. I'd go with a madcatz te stick just feels alot smoother in combo's and requires a little less effort for certain things mid combo. Now if you are playing the classics then yes those te and arcade sticks are the best imo I like playing the older games with that stick just feels totally right!

Wait do you mean the Madcatz is best for classics? Or the Tournament Stick for MK9?
I thought someone said the klassic stick was better than the Tournament stick..

Edit.- I don't want to spend like 200 - 300$ on a stick and find out I might not like it..

Tim Static

Adminerator
Wait do you mean the Madcatz is best for classics? Or the Tournament Stick for MK9?
I thought someone said the klassic stick was better than the Tournament stick..

Edit.- I don't want to spend like 200 - 300$ on a stick and find out I might not like it..
its all preferences man. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes. you gotta figure yours.

its all preferences man. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes. you gotta figure yours.

Ah.. Right... So the Klassic stick might actually be good for me?

I might get that one instead of the Tournament stick (If I do decide on one of the two.) Just for the free DLC and the fact that someone said it was better..

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ah.. Right... So the Klassic stick might actually be good for me?

I might get that one instead of the Tournament stick (If I do decide on one of the two.) Just for the free DLC and the fact that someone said it was better..
yea it should be....could be. Do you know anyone that has one?