What's new

Is the K.A.T turret just a gimmick?

Ludaaak

Noob
Hey so I have been playing Sonya for all of 5 minutes and haven’t done a crazy amount of labbing or reading up on her but I’m liking the way she plays. She nets crazy damage and has a solid mixup game, however I’m struggling to decide on a variation and I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether or not her K.A.T turret is viable to some extent (if there are any insane set ups with it) or if it’s purely a zoning tool/gimmick.

If anyone would like to sway me toward a certain variation, feel free to do so.

RainMK9

Noob
I personally play No Holds Barred but I'm going to switch to Ring Master soon. You don't lose anything besides the multi air hit (which is nice) the air grab (pretty useless) and the counter I believe which I hardly ever use.

From my understanding the KAT turret is just an additional zoning tool. But I believe the main draw to Ring Master is being able to cancel the rings. It allows you to combo off her low mix up in the corner for very good damage, something you cannot do in no holds barred. So overall that variation is better at zoning and at mixing up.

Both variations are good. However there is no point in using Ring master if you can't consistently cancel into a combo. Not to mention the combo only works in the corner.

I use No holds barred as ring cancels are inconsistent and situational for me. That multi air hit is really good. But I also use counters quite alot.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Im gonna try that , I think KAT turrent is verry useful, after hkds or skds also the rear one for when they try to roll out the corner. The ring cancel helps you walk them i to the corner from the midscreen. I'll no holds today

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Nobody has really gone in depth with her turret specials. They seem to me like gimmicks but I could be very wrong.

Ludaaak

Noob
Nobody has really gone in depth with her turret specials. They seem to me like gimmicks but I could be very wrong.
I agree. They seem like gimmicks but I feel like upon hard knock down they definitely keep people at bay.

I’m super curious to see how the K.A.T turret plays at a high level. Anyone got any links to gameplay?