What's new

Question - Thunder God Is Raiden really that bad?

spliti

Noob
I can't remember the last time I saw a raiden in tourney and when I play online I never ever run into a raiden player.

Just curious.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
The thing about raiden is that he is not easy to play and not braindead at all. He takes a lot of skill and patience to play him at a high level since positioning is very important when playing raiden. Look at nivek he is definitely the best raiden out there and he plays him at full potential. But regarding some ofraidens flaws you can get outplayed way to quick by disrespecting raidens tools.

He is not that bad but fn hard to play imho

@Nivek
@Grand Flash

9_Lives

Noob
Didn't they take out that option select that made his overhead safe too? Now you must commit if you think they are going to block low and all that.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
He isn't bad. Just that there are characters that do what he does but better in some way. I would say the one thing you can really give to raiden is insane corner carry in the form of superman.
  • But if you want 50/50s several characters can do theirs and either be safe, plus, or even after you already blocked.
  • AAs? Again there are better ones.
  • Can't really zone.
  • Use of F2, F4, and D normals gets him outclassed in neutral.
  • Basically commits to every string. Doesn't have the relentless pressure some other characters can get.
But he is still a good character. Just his gameplan is easier with everyone else. Though if Displacer just got an attack or two to really rely on in neutral and for some pressure it'd be fantastic. Since theoretically displacer is basically a character you can't lock down. Really Displacer and TG need some tweaks and MoS needs a rework before you see some Raiden brigade spring into top 8s.

I really wanted to like thunder god when the game came out, but I just feel he's too slow. Slow pokes, slow strings, slow movement. Add to that his damage nerfs and nerfs to f1, and he just doesn't seem worth the effort.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Raiden is a higher risk,lower reward version of what he was and what he has wasn't even as OP as the community make it out to be. hes fallen into mid tier as a result of the constant nerfs to him and buffs of others and many raiden players feel he's a general shadow of his former self

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Raiden certainly isn't bad. He has very good damage, a strong corner game, some of the best corner carry in the game and great meter building.

That being said, his neutral game is ass, his overhead option is -63 on block, about 80% of his strings are very - on whiff, he gets low profiled very easily and has very few + frames to work with.

Raiden is just very, very mid tier. Because of his bad neutral he is pretty difficult to play and can get his momentum blown up fairly quickly. I still love him to death though and will main him forever unless Triborg turns out to be the coolest thing ever.