What's new

Is Lex Luthor Useable? need help

Is he usable

• yes

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Hey guys this is my first post so sorry if its not a good one. I have used a lot of top tier characters and wanted more of a challenge so i picked up Lex. After a few games i had to drop him, his moves such as orbital strike, gravity mine and his probe come out so slow and do so little it seams like its not even worth doing and dont get me started on his 3% damage lance blast! How is it fair that it only does 3% but aquaman can do 20% with a MB from the deap and another from the deap? i know it can be charged but it seams useless because you just get a projectile to the face. Am i missing something? is there a certain way to use him? and what moves/specials should be used?

whedgehead

My Lex Takes You to Paradise
Lex is very usable online. My current ranked record is 309 - 62 with nothing but Lex and maybe 1 or 2 Grundy and Deathstroke. Lex plays very differently from the rest of the cast, so picking him up after playing top tiers will understandably be very difficult and frustrating. However, for this reason I find him to be one of the most fun characters to play. Anyway, first of all online Lex can be a real monster against people who don't know how to play him. Honestly, you can jump 3 spam for wins, and Corp Charge punishes a lot of stuff.

Generally, Lex should be played I'd say anywhere from 80-95% rushdown vs zoning. Lex is all about getting knockdowns to set stuff up or traiting up for armor and more mixups (TRY TO ARMOR AFTER EVERY KNOCKDOWN!). In a close game, d3 is a great footsie tool as are 22d1/22b3, and general starters are f2 (overhead), b13 (low), 22 confirm and 112 (final hits overhead, watch out though as most of the cast can duck 11). A good BnB for online is starter x Grav Pull MB, b3, ji2, 22 x Corp Charge/starter x Grav Pull MB, ji3, 11 x Corp Charge (these are not the max damage but easiest to get off in lag). Also for set up BnB starter x Grav Pull MB, b3, ji2, (22 x close mine/21 x medium mine/u3 x far mine or any of those x probe instead). Probes are important, and in a range game you can probe into orbital. Also orbital MB follows up into another orbital (not entirely true, but a lot get caught by this online. Finally, you can cancel the trait into a dash to lower its ending frames and as long as you are holding circle it will continue to charge. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh also Corp Charge wake-up is very invincible and gets a lot of people online.

P.S. I'm actually thinking of creating a Lex Beginner's Guide sometime for anyone coming into this character board similar in style to my stage analysis that will attempt to cover basic things, such as how Lex plays, movement, basic BnB info, how to get to Lex's damage, etc. so lemme know if ya'll think that's a good idea!

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
Lex is very usable online. My current ranked record is 309 - 62 with nothing but Lex and maybe 1 or 2 Grundy and Deathstroke. Lex plays very differently from the rest of the cast, so picking him up after playing top tiers will understandably be very difficult and frustrating. However, for this reason I find him to be one of the most fun characters to play. Anyway, first of all online Lex can be a real monster against people who don't know how to play him. Honestly, you can jump 3 spam for wins, and Corp Charge punishes a lot of stuff.

Generally, Lex should be played I'd say anywhere from 80-95% rushdown vs zoning. Lex is all about getting knockdowns to set stuff up or traiting up for armor and more mixups (TRY TO ARMOR AFTER EVERY KNOCKDOWN!). In a close game, d3 is a great footsie tool as are 22d1/22b3, and general starters are f2 (overhead), b13 (low), 22 confirm and 112 (final hits overhead, watch out though as most of the cast can duck 11). A good BnB for online is starter x Grav Pull MB, b3, ji2, 22 x Corp Charge/starter x Grav Pull MB, ji3, 11 x Corp Charge (these are not the max damage but easiest to get off in lag). Also for set up BnB starter x Grav Pull MB, b3, ji2, (22 x close mine/21 x medium mine/u3 x far mine or any of those x probe instead). Probes are important, and in a range game you can probe into orbital. Also orbital MB follows up into another orbital (not entirely true, but a lot get caught by this online. Finally, you can cancel the trait into a dash to lower its ending frames and as long as you are holding circle it will continue to charge. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh also Corp Charge wake-up is very invincible and gets a lot of people online.

P.S. I'm actually thinking of creating a Lex Beginner's Guide sometime for anyone coming into this character board similar in style to my stage analysis that will attempt to cover basic things, such as how Lex plays, movement, basic BnB info, how to get to Lex's damage, etc. so lemme know if ya'll think that's a good idea!
thanks so much for that reply, yeah i was getting annoyed using him after using aquaman but i love the way Lex looks and out of my 1000+ games have only seen maybe 3 lex players! so i really want to use him to try and be a bit unique on this game, these combos are really nice and i need to practice some set ups. Also his ji3 is insane like you said!
i guide would be perfect because there arnt many vids of lex that iv seen. msg me if you decide to do this guide

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Hey guys this is my first post so sorry if its not a good one. I have used a lot of top tier characters and wanted more of a challenge so i picked up Lex. After a few games i had to drop him, his moves such as orbital strike, gravity mine and his probe come out so slow and do so little it seams like its not even worth doing and dont get me started on his 3% damage lance blast! How is it fair that it only does 3% but aquaman can do 20% with a MB from the deap and another from the deap? i know it can be charged but it seams useless because you just get a projectile to the face. Am i missing something? is there a certain way to use him? and what moves/specials should be used?
Im having to work my ass of to get a win against lex. You can't expect to get wins with a character after only using it a couple of times, unless you pick scorpion :p

He has a very unique playstyle that takes some getting use to, but he definitely is not a bad character by any means. He revolves around momentum, space control, and setups, and he is really dependent on meter. Just stick with him for a little bit and read through some more of the threads on the lex forums.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
He has a very unique playstyle that takes some getting use to, but he definitely is not a bad character by any means. He revolves around momentum, space control, and setups, and he is really dependent on meter. Just stick with him for a little bit and read through some more of the threads on the lex forums.
yeah im on xbl thanks ill need to use him more and see if i like him

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Lex doesn't get anything for free and has plenty of bad matchups, but he is usable and (IMO) a lot of fun! Don't let all the projectile moves confuse you, Lex is more about rushdown than zoning. Traiting up using the trait-dash is ESSENTIAL. As I always say, the more you trait, the more you'll win with Lex.

On the plus side he has very easy combos that lead into respectable (if not great) damage and a free set-up. You can generally get a mine, a probe, or armour for free at the end of a combo. It is up to you and the situation to guess which is best. Some shenanigans like traitdashing in after a combo, n.j 2 which can become an armoured crossup in some situations can be overwhelming to some players. Dropping a mine at their feet while attacking with a j.3 can be a hard to defend mix-up.

CC is a fantastic reversal attack. 6 frames, scores a knockdown, lets you trait or mine. Lex also has a nasty corner game.

He has his upsides, but also quite a few disadvantages. Slow moves, huge easy to crossup hit box, lackluster AAs, terrible options against heavy zoners (his dash is too slow to let him dash between say DS high shot or Raven fireballs without getting caught out by the next shot).

I believe Lex is solid and I think he'll only get better in the future. NRS will buff him. They have the stat telemetry, they know how little he's being played, they read the feedback. It wouldn't take many changes to make Lex an absolute beast. Faster dash, faster probe, ect, he'd be a lot better.

Sasuga

Noob
I'd say he responds to button presses but that's about as usable as it gets with Lex.

Haven't seen a good one yet, tho.

Benzo

Vic Stone
Lex doesn't get anything for free and has plenty of bad matchups, but he is usable and (IMO) a lot of fun! Don't let all the projectile moves confuse you, Lex is more about rushdown than zoning. Traiting up using the trait-dash is ESSENTIAL. As I always say, the more you trait, the more you'll win with Lex.

On the plus side he has very easy combos that lead into respectable (if not great) damage and a free set-up. You can generally get a mine, a probe, or armour for free at the end of a combo. It is up to you and the situation to guess which is best. Some shenanigans like traitdashing in after a combo, n.j 2 which can become an armoured crossup in some situations can be overwhelming to some players. Dropping a mine at their feet while attacking with a j.3 can be a hard to defend mix-up.

CC is a fantastic reversal attack. 6 frames, scores a knockdown, lets you trait or mine. Lex also has a nasty corner game.

He has his upsides, but also quite a few disadvantages. Slow moves, huge easy to crossup hit box, lackluster AAs, terrible options against heavy zoners (his dash is too slow to let him dash between say DS high shot or Raven fireballs without getting caught out by the next shot).

I believe Lex is solid and I think he'll only get better in the future. NRS will buff him. They have the stat telemetry, they know how little he's being played, they read the feedback. It wouldn't take many changes to make Lex an absolute beast. Faster dash, faster probe, ect, he'd be a lot better.
Smart man. I was fooled in believing he was a zoner as well. I rush the best I can and take many risks. You would think as intelligent of a character as Lex you would have to be more calculative and cunning; when in reality the best strategy is to armor up and go for the throat.

Benzo

Vic Stone
Also by the way. Lex has an extremely hard time against zoners due to his large size and floaty jump. My advice is to block and walk forward patiently. Corp Dash when applicable to close distance. Don't be afraid to use his sweep also. I could go on a rant on tactics but only through matches upon more matches will you learn.
Expect losses but do not let them hinder you, my record is terrible, i have over 1000+ losses and l000+ wins(more loses than wins actually). I shall not change my user name for I am proud to show my dedication to my characters.(makes me feel old to even say that) I only play around with one other character(Doomsday) and I refuse to play hero. Call me stubborn, call me dumb, but one thing you will never be able to call me is a sell out. Besides I'm partial to villains directly oppose to Superman. I HATE(LOVE) superman. :rolleyes:

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
Seriously? I mean I guess if you CC a lot and stuff but I hate using this char online. It's like impossible to end a combo with 22~special there when I can get it every time offline.
iv been started using him online the best combo that i find usable is f2 db2 j3 22 db2 its like 37% and i just armor up after it

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
There's nothing more terrifying than a GOOD Lex. I've only ran into one online so far and it was just as bad as fighting a good Cyborg. Lack of match up experience probably had a lot to do with it, but I've learned first hand how good Lex actually is. I could never use him, but you really need to know how and when to use ALL of his tools.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
There's nothing more terrifying than a GOOD Lex. I've only ran into one online so far and it was just as bad as fighting a good Cyborg. Lack of match up experience probably had a lot to do with it, but I've learned first hand how good Lex actually is. I could never use him, but you really need to know how and when to use ALL of his tools.
yeah im playing BDmao and hes destroying me he uses all his tools and traits up when he can

Basically every time you land a CC you are going to want to do one of three things. Mine/Probe/Armor.

The mine is obviously good for space control, opponent manipulation, and set ups.

As long as your probe is in the air you can be a bit overaggressive seeing as if they do manage to open you up the probe is going to knock them out of their combo anyway.

And well armor is self explanatory. It allows you to force a mix up situation.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
ggs R3CK3Dx

Certain thing I noticed is you definitely need to make use of the trait dashing, any time you land a corps charge ask outlaw stated do mine,probe, or armor...but I think mine is pointless because they will wake up when they see your startup motion and own you. I only like to mine after a combo to control space...yes mine is avoidable but you can play it in to your hands. For instance they tech roll you do the far mine but they will catch on and you can just bait a wake up etc...

Also I think every time you started a match with ji3, that's -8 on block and can be full punished /corps charged. Also a lot of the cast will beat the axe at the start of a match if you both jump in. Try a neutral jump or a backwards jump. I also like to d3 to start.

Keep up the good work and you will pick up the momentum of things. If he can't get the momentum he is screwed.

He has some HORRIBLE match ups...it's really crappy when a amazing rushdown character can out zone you.

http://www.twitch.tv/totfc1/b/411264232

6:24:22

In the second match I got a ton of momentum, then I lost it and I barely even won that one! This is probably his worst match up. If you play smart and extremely patient he can pay off.

ALWAYS hit confirm b13
Only use Corpse Charge to close space if you know your spacing is perfect and you won't eat a combo when you're done.
Only use Corpse Charge to punish whiffs, it's way to risky otherwise and I have a horrible habit at the moment of not doing this.
Only do setups after a hard knock down *Corpse Charge* as this is the safest time. Don't end combos in Vaccuum because it's not a hard knock down and only gives you 1% better damage.