What's new

Question - Drunken Master Is it something I could be doing wrong?

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
I can NOT open people up with Bo Rai Cho. It seems like if people know the 341 string and the 4,1,3,u4 string..then that's it. I get my strings blocked and then I end up getting punished. Am I missing something???

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Throws open up anyone, regardless of what character you're playing.
Bo also has the benefit of having low hits in his combos, as well as a (mostly) safe overhead special. Use his Cartwheel to condition people to block high in key moments of your strings. It's a common trick.

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
So you're saying to cancel into cartwheel before the part of the string that would hit low?
Throws open up anyone, regardless of what character you're playing.
Bo also has the benefit of having low hits in his combos, as well as a (mostly) safe overhead special. Use his Cartwheel to condition people to block high in key moments of your strings. It's a common trick.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
How about using F34 which is a double overhead and F3+grab? B322 and B3+grab also should be used. It seems you are relying too much on his 341 and 413U4.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
So he doesn't have low or overhead starters? And if he does, what are his start up frames on them?

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
So you're saying to cancel into cartwheel before the part of the string that would hit low?
Precisely. You do 24~Cartwheel enough, the opponent will stop thinking so much about 244.
If they're stubbornly content with blocking low, why stop doing the Cartwheel?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Cosmos

Noob
He doesn't have great options but these guys are right in terms of mixups.

2~db3
24~db3
3~db3
41~db3
B2~db3
B3 grab/32
F3 grab/f34.

F/b3 are overhead and low starters respectively but 25f startup.

2 is a 13f high
3 is a 10f high with no range and a gap before the overhead.
4 is 11f high with no range and a gap before the 1.
B2 is a mid with great range but 24f.

DM has a few extra pseudo mixups as you can replace the overheads in strings with dd3~3. So 34~dd3~3 or f3~dd3~3 it's very risky as it seems reactable and on block it's completely punishable. However on hit you do get a full combo and Bo hits like a truck so you can really get some momentum going.

Everything on block is mostly punishable including flips and that's not even getting into gaps between special cancels. The few things that aren't punishable are still so minus you'll be holding pressure or a mixup.

Opening people up that know the MU is very difficult though as you get low profiled to death, so you'll find yourself probably having to use raw flips a fair amount in neutral, though you can't abuse this as they are pretty punishable on block.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I'm really not digging DB3 cancels.. yes, they can condition your opponent but it knocks your opponent a good distance away and with that miserable mobility being +30 isn't enough to allow you to get close and get any respectable oki going.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Does Bo suck or something? It's like no one's using him. I come across like 2 or 3 a day. And I didn't see any in the tournament if memory serves correctly

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Does Bo suck or something? It's like no one's using him. I come across like 2 or 3 a day. And I didn't see any in the tournament if memory serves correctly
Forever King played Drunken Master in his first match against Jagoblake/Gamerblake/Blake.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
He's not bad, it's just that his counterzoning is garbage. Hellfire Scorpion and Slasher Jason could zone this motherfucker out.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Everything on block is mostly punishable including flips and that's not even getting into gaps between special cancels. The few things that aren't punishable are still so minus you'll be holding pressure or a mixup.

Opening people up that know the MU is very difficult though as you get low profiled to death, so you'll find yourself probably having to use raw flips a fair amount in neutral, though you can't abuse this as they are pretty punishable on block.
Just picking this character up after spending the last few weeks learning Alien. I spent a bunch of time in the lab and farting around against the hard AI last night with Drunken Master and after looking at the frame data I'm concerned about these exact things once my usual playing buddy learns the matchup.