What's new

Is it possible to make a game like MK9?

3Lifts

Noob
So recently i got into programming, and i would like to make a fighting game in the future when i understand this stuff. :DOGE

But my question is, how long would it take for a programmer and 1 artist to make one character and one stage that are on the same level as MK9?

To develop all mechanics MK9 has (fighting game) it would take a ton of time. More than a year.
To fully develop single character probably takes more than a month. Model, animations, mechanics/moves.
Stage takes about a month possibly.

You need to be experienced professional to make game like MK9. If you just got into programming, you are few years behind this accomplishment I'd say.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I keep going in and out of the programming because i want to fix trilogy. Someday...
'
MKT just needs to be completely remade from the ground up, especially instead of remaking any of the arcade MK's. :coffee:
It's pretty crazy, but he might actually have enjoyed the gameplay MK9 more than MKX. Or, he just wants to start at a more comfortable level. Or, he's not even aware that MKX exists.
He just posted this in the MKX section of a forum chin deep in MKX. But i guess some of the other stuff could be correct, i suppose.

PS- moving this thread because it doesn't belong in here.

Nitsua

The Living Shadow
There's a reason why they have a team of programmers working on this stuff and not just one guy. It's too much coding and what not for one guy to do in a reasonable amount of time.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Your best bet would be to get a job at a developer, or even start your own developing company. It would take years to make a game like MK9 by yourself, considering it was made by a studio with multiple coders, programmers etc.

DavS13

Noob
I doubt it's just as simple as programming, you need artists for the characters, voice actors, knowledge of how to balance characters, and input from other people for ideas to be creative.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So recently i got into programming, and i would like to make a fighting game in the future when i understand this stuff. :DOGE

But my question is, how long would it take for a programmer and 1 artist to make one character and one stage that are on the same level as MK9?
Why would you want to start with something so complicated?! Learn how to crawl before you attempt to run.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Or, he's not even aware that MKX exists.
So you actually had this thought in your head and decided to type it out for everyone to see? A person comes to TYM and posts something about MK9 but isn't aware MKX exists? How could this POSSIBLY be the case??? I already can't even'd the Scorpion buff thread this morning so I'm all out of can't evens today....but if I wasn't, this would certainly merit one.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So you actually had this thought in your head and decided to type it out for everyone to see? A person comes to TYM and posts something about MK9 but isn't aware MKX exists? How could this POSSIBLY be the case??? I already can't even'd the Scorpion buff thread this morning so I'm all out of can't evens today....but if I wasn't, this would certainly merit one.
You're being a dick, what if he never heard of MKX before? What about it?

I'm a software developer and I do some game programming in my spare time. As far as game development goes, jumping into a complex project isn't the way to go. Way too many people with an interest in game development want to start off by creating an MMO or a game engine from scratch or something, and they end up getting discouraged because the project is way beyond their skill level. You need to start small before you really get anywhere.

There are plenty of tools and resources out there though - if you're interested in 3D game development, definitely look at the Unity engine.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Let's say you don't have to write an actual engine because that in itself takes longer than you want it to.
You grab an engine that has what you need for it, and let's say the programmer knows it fairly well.

Underlying game code and engine arrangements - 72 hours SET DEADLINES OR YOU GET WASHED UP.
Interface design - 8 hours (Gotta kick the artist to keep to the deadline)
Code for the controls - 48 hours if you do it in one big swing (++coffee) or 480 if you keep putting it off and starting over.
Debugging all of the above - 2d8 hours after each phase, depending on how tight your coding is. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.
Character design / brainstorming - 1 to 400 hours depending on whether you actually have character design experience.
Animating - 10 minutes per frame if you want MK quality. Or find a motion capture studio. Costs time and effort, 20 or so tries per move and proper studio work.
Optionally Integrating optional motion capture to use it for animations - fuck knows, never done it, probably a few hours altogether.
Painting allover the character - 8 hours (+ the artist whining that you're a slave driver)
Playtesting and finding out that you mucked up something on code level because you forgot to debug in the studio phase - 1 year

Hiring a proper project manager who's done this before: 6 months + as long as it takes for you to get the money he wants for it.

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
Lol, really dude? A mod comes into a thread and posts something that contributes absolutely nothing, so I merely pointed out that maybe the guy likes MK9 more than MKX, and to lighten the post, added that maybe he hadn't heard of MKX before. I appreciate that you take posts seriously, but as you put it, I can't even.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Lol, really dude? A mod comes into a thread and posts something that contributes absolutely nothing, so I merely pointed out that maybe the guy likes MK9 more than MKX, and to lighten the post, added that maybe he hadn't heard of MKX before. I appreciate that you take posts seriously, but as you put it, I can't even.
I'm not a mod.

Also, if some people find it odd that I can't believe someone would be registered on an MK site and have no knowledge of MKX, then I really don't know what to tell you.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Apparently no one read the original post. He wants to make one stage and one character.

Basically, a tech demo.

With two people, I'm guessing a year to a year and a half to have something decent.