What's new

Is it just me with guest karacters?

Idem Dito. Emphasizing on said quote ; ''untill mk11'', tho. Just not my type of guests in mk11. loved every single 1 of them in mkx. More gory horror/sci-fi chars carrying a sh#t load of childhood sentiment with them. Joker imo has been milked dry everywhere, spawn was unknown to me before playing MK games and never watched the terminator series. But life goes on, and i'll walk it off np lol

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
Totally agree, they have so many characters within their own lore that have untapped potential, in story, design and gameplay, yet they keep throwing in cheesy outsider characters. I'm not a fan of when MK does it's own fourth-wall breaking, like Johnny Cage's current fatalities, but it's even worse when movie/comic characters turn up to really pull me out of the atmosphere of the MK universe. Really want to see the likes of Ashrah and Sareena given some greater attention, especially when these guest characters have been given ample amounts of exposure and back-story in their own mediums already, hence why I want more attention placed on giving love to some of Mortal Kombat's under-explored characters who have fallen by the wayside.

That said, I was just thinking how there are actually some interesting little connections though between these characters and Mortal Kombat...

In the 1995 Spawn movie, Spawn was played by Michael Jai White, who played Jax in Mortal Kombat Rebirth and Mortal Kombat Legacy.

The Joker was in the 2008 movie The Dark Knight, which also featured Michael Jai White (as above, Jax in MK Rebirth and Legacy) and even a brief appearance by our very own Richard Divizio in one of his very few film roles, who we all know well from his motion capture and voice acting work in MKs 1, 2, 3, Trilogy, 4, Mythologies and Deadly Alliance.

The Terminator was obviously in Terminator 3, which starred Kristana Loken who played Taja in Mortal Kombat Conquest (and her stunt double was Dana Hee who played Siann in Conquest and Mileena in Annihilation).

Still don't want them in the game though :p

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Totally agree, they have so many characters within their own lore that have untapped potential, in story, design and gameplay, yet they keep throwing in cheesy outsider characters. I'm not a fan of when MK does it's own fourth-wall breaking, like Johnny Cage's current fatalities, but it's even worse when movie/comic characters turn up to really pull me out of the atmosphere of the MK universe. Really want to see the likes of Ashrah and Sareena given some greater attention, especially when these guest characters have been given ample amounts of exposure and back-story in their own mediums already, hence why I want more attention placed on giving love to some of Mortal Kombat's under-explored characters who have fallen by the wayside.

That said, I was just thinking how there are actually some interesting little connections though between these characters and Mortal Kombat...

In the 1995 Spawn movie, Spawn was played by Michael Jai White, who played Jax in Mortal Kombat Rebirth and Mortal Kombat Legacy.

The Joker was in the 2008 movie The Dark Knight, which also featured Michael Jai White (as above, Jax in MK Rebirth and Legacy) and even a brief appearance by our very own Richard Divizio in one of his very few film roles, who we all know well from his motion capture and voice acting work in MKs 1, 2, 3, Trilogy, 4, Mythologies and Deadly Alliance.

The Terminator was obviously in Terminator 3, which starred Kristana Loken who played Taja in Mortal Kombat Conquest (and her stunt double was Dana Hee who played Siann in Conquest and Mileena in Annihilation).

Still don't want them in the game though :p
Then it’s time to put Liu Kang in DOA cause Robin Shu played a pirate in DOA movie

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Or in Street Fighter since he played Gen in that terrible Chun-Li movie.

Also Brian Thompson who played Shao Kahn in the second MK movie was one of the punks at the beginning of the first Terminator.
Tagawa was in Tekken.
Time for Heihachi hit MK
Also Kazuya’s actor played Scorp in Legacy

E

Eldriken

Until people start talking with their wallets and don't buy the stuff, you might as well just start getting used to it and accepting it as the norm. It's been going on since MK9 (Injustice excluded, I believe) and is showing no signs of stopping.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I mean it's fine. The majority of the cast is still MK characters in an MK game. Nobody bitched when the Turtles appeared in I2.

It's fine.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Agree with you 100%. 7 out of 10 people I play pick Joker/Spawn. Really tired and done with this bs guest character culture in MK games.

Especially if we're to believe Ash, RoboCop and probably more are to join in the future.

Its pure greed on WB's behalf.

not just you , even though i like playing as them. I would rather have a mk only game or injustice only game. Just like the games used to be. I would also want other universe games from NRS. Ive never been a fan of guest characters. Would be sick to have NRS making a Marvel game or TMNT

KCJ506

Noob
I mean it's fine. The majority of the cast is still MK characters in an MK game. Nobody bitched when the Turtles appeared in I2.

It's fine.
I actually recall several people complaining about the TMNT in IJ2. It was usually from people who knew them mainly from the original cartoon and claimed that they didn't fit because they were too lighthearted. Apparently not aware of how dark the original comics are. Hell the 1990 movie was dark.

E

Eldriken

Wanna know what the real kicker about this whole "ENOUGH GUEST CHARACTERS" nonsense? Even if NRS stopped to appease the naysayers, the next thing they would do is 100% inevitable: "OH MY GOD MY FAVORITE MK CHARACTER DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK IN THE GAME WAAAAAH".

In short: you can't have your cake and eat it.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think for the most part, they've been done well and have had interesting characters with cool gameplay. Some of them are extremely hype. I also don't look at it as a zero sum game, the guest characters drive the sales of these DLC packs and we probably wouldn't see as many DLC characters without it. I enjoyed Enchantress and The Atom but who is going to buy Injustice 2 just to play as them? But the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I'd buy a game for them, I bought Soul Calibur 2 back in the day because it had Link it in. I'm sure people bought Soul Calibur 2 and MK11 for Spawn as well.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Wanna know what the real kicker about this whole "ENOUGH GUEST CHARACTERS" nonsense? Even if NRS stopped to appease the naysayers, the next thing they would do is 100% inevitable: "OH MY GOD MY FAVORITE MK CHARACTER DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK IN THE GAME WAAAAAH".

As someone who has 0 interest in guest characters (save for Freddy in MK9), I also know that there's a TON of people who love them. In addition, the roster has always and will always be a contentious topic because every single individual has different wants for it. The goalpost moves ever onward in every direction simultaneously. That's an impossible goal to hit outside of doing something like Armageddon which only happened because the character assets were all reused from DA / Deception (not to mention the game was horrible).

While I do see that there's an argument that "an MK character lost their potential spot to a guest," I don't really agree with this idea because it implies that all characters are on the same level of potential development which just isn't true. I can't remember which NRS employee said it but there was a tweet along the lines of "We only create characters there's a passion for" which tells me that if the design team doesn't have a passion behind their idea for a character, they aren't going to waste their time on them.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter

You would have a significant amount of extra slots for MK characters, therefore there is more possibility for people's favorite to get in. This would automatically reduce the amount of people complaining about their characters not making it. I had a look at a number of popularity polls and there are 5 character who have missed out that stand WELL above the rest of the cast who didn't make if in terms of overall popularity:

1 Reptile
2 Mileena
3 Rain
4 Ermac
5 Smoke

These 5 are the main ones which people complain about the most. If you included these instead of guests, the maximum amount of people would be happy. From there, you could include more niche characters (like Nightwolf was).

This would automatically lesson the amount of people who would be disappointed to a minimum.

As someone who has defended guests in the past, I think guest fighters lose that special omph when there is a guest in every game. I think we need to space it out, have some games with no guest. Even Soul Calibur, the series that arguably started the whole guest fighter in fighting games trend and has guest in most of their games has had a few games with no guests.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
My thing with guest characters is that I like that it exposes more people to the series and it makes a lot of sense, but I do think that they have overstepped this time with the number of guest characters.

But I understand their reasoning, it makes them money so they can update MK and create new characters eventually

I find the entire question to this thread ridiculous; surely you've seen the plethora of users across the internet who see red the moment guest characters are mentioned? Or those who go out of their way to enter twitter chains or other threads just to let everyone know how much they dislike guest characters?

But yes, it is just you.

Also, Spawn's been out for five minutes so of course he's gonna get picked a lot.

I'm sure people bought Soul Calibur 2 for Spawn as well.
Guilty.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The DLC have definitely muted my interest in playing this game with an attitude to get better.

I still play it tho, but for instance, haven't even labbed spawn yet. Seems pointless lol.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
You see them all the time because people buy guest characters like crazy. Because they sell so well, NRS would be foolish not to continue putting them in every game.

I know there's probably 7 nerds on this forum who want Ashrah or Dairou in the game, but no one gives two shits about them in the grand scheme of things, that's why we get Tom Hanks from Castaway as a guest instead.

Until people stop spending money on the guests, we will just keep getting more and more of them in every game. And for everyone who says "Why doesn't NRS just make a horror movie game or something?" Why would they do that? Why would they do that when ALL MK fans are going to buy the new MK game, AND as soon as someone's favorite horror icon is revealed, those people will buy the game too JUST to play as that character. Freddy was the best selling DLC in MK9 for a reason. I'd venture to say Jason or Predator was tops in MKX, as well.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
2 or 3 guests, why not. More is too much, for me.

Or at least, make a base roster of 30-35 MK characters, so the guests dlc won't look like they taking the sit of a MK character.