What's new

Is it better to be a strategic player or a practiced player?

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
No they are rediculous and ugly, just like Freddy being in the game.
I was just kidding btw, but sarcasm is hard to portray without a big douface grin on my face showing. That damn enhanced ground claw is annoying so much stun, but it is a nice set up.

KRYS9984

Kombatant
It really comes down to the player and not the character.

You could practice combos all day but it won't really serve you in the metagame. It will certainly help with your execution but if you have no idea how to approach an opponent, how are you going to to find openings to pull them off?

Pulling off situational combos / set-ups will come with experience; after you've done them X amount of times, the probability of dropping them will be greatly reduced. This is where I believe a strategic player dominates a practice player.

For example; a practice player lands an opening and decides to give the opponent one of their standard b'n'b combos with a complete disregard to the character match-up and stage position (which could be detrimental). A strategic player will often sacrifice damage for advantage and positioning because they ultimately want to control the pace of the match.

I am by no means saying practice is useless because we all need a good amount of practice to hone our skills, but I really feel that a good strategy and mindgames will give you an edge over your opponent.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is good to have both, detroit didn't beat CD Jr with ermac because his ermac should do more BnBs and this was a factor in the game.

Saint

Mortal
What good is strategy if you're not competent. Also, what good is being a combo master if you can't put it into play.

In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they're not.

You need to be well rounded.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Some people go into practice mode for hours a day to perfect their combos, while others prefer to play people consistently, learning how people play and seeing what your character has to counter what the other characters can do.

Do you think it's better to have a practiced routine that you can pull off perfectly and if you catch the opponent off guard in that situation can pull off a high damage well practiced combo.

Or be a little more of a strategist, maybe not always trying for the biggest combo setup but read the opponent more and get in more small combos when any opportunity presents itself.

I know the ideal way to play would be a mixture of both. But I'm just curious from the higher level players if they had to choose one or the other which do they think would work better.
I think it's better to play against someone who fully punishes mistakes, especially players who make you think about every poke, Anyone can combo.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Yeah, landing that 50%+ meter(s) technical as fuck combo in the corner is sick, but are you really going to land that 10/10 times in competitive play?

Death

Warrior
You should be in practice mode setting up strategies. When it comes to combos it depends on the character you main. If your character has easy combos like Liu Kang, Cage, Sub etc than I wouldnt practice combos. As a Sonya main I always practice her advanced dive kick combos and her 45% bnb. Their pretty tough to hit consistently so I'm always in the lab practicing them so I wouldnt drop them in a stressful situation. To answer the question I say both. Playing online vs a good player who doesnt use lag tactics is really imporant as well.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Just learn simple combos that accurately worked for you so chances of dropping combos is unlikely. Footsies, spacing, whiff punishes using those online is eliminated with all the jumping and hop overs constantly. It makes you play bad, encourages jumping ...now you start jump punching in the air for air to air combos and cross up with a jip to land a combo. It's disgusting. Next when you play a solid player with spacing, those bad habits you play general players lobbies get punished by AA, being a strategic player who wants to personally level up should arrange private King of the Hill rooms for better practice in case he/she may want to attend an offline tournament. With that said, just zone out the scrubby jumper or if you got a Teleport Kick like Mileena, that should keep them to sit still for once. BTW, I'm finding out almost every new beginner blocks Mileena's wake up attacks like they are expecting it every time. It made me laugh.