What's new

Is it actually GGPO or not??

part1of2

Noob
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I just still don't know if MKXL actually uses the official GGPO middleware or if they just use that term interchangeably with rollback netcode in general. I'm mean Skullgirls and 3rd Strike OE actually have the GGPO logo when they start up. So is NRS using an in house rollback netcode and just not bothering to make that distinction? Thanks :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I just still don't know if MKXL actually uses the official GGPO middleware or if they just use that term interchangeably with rollback netcode in general. I'm mean Skullgirls and 3rd Strike OE actually have the GGPO logo when they start up. So is NRS using an in house rollback netcode and just not bothering to make that distinction? Thanks :)
Moving to proper section.

The coding is indeed in-house. GGPO is just a blanket term for the type of netplay.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
If I remember correctly they described it as "GGPO Like" but it's a custom job of some sort. I don't remember where and when that came up.

part1of2

Noob
Thanks. Idk it might annoy me if I was the original GGPO guys. People using their brand without actually working with them. But then again maybe they appreciate that rollback(which I assume is a method they created?) has become the genre standard.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Thanks. Idk it might annoy me if I was the original GGPO guys. People using their brand without actually working with them. But then again maybe they appreciate that rollback(which I assume is a method they created?) has become the genre standard.
Ponder developed GGPO largely to help push forward online play with fighting games. While, yes, it also may net him a profit, he, along with his brother, inkblot, have generally played some major roles in the FGC, notably the B3 tournaments prior to EVO, and opening SRK.

It's worth noting that GGPO doesn't appear to be actively maintained by the author, Tony Cannon. Though there's no clear way to tell since his source isn't available on Github or any VCS I'm aware of.

But yeah, the term "Rollback" should be used instead of "GGPO". As it stands though, when people say "GGPO" it's being used as a blanket term for a very clever netcode technique.