What's new

Is it a good idea to learn a second character?

Bopper69

Noob
Do you think it's worth trying to master a second (or even third) character or better to stick with one?

Im currently maining Ermac, but really thinking about learning a 2nd, although no-one's sticking out.

I personally feel it's handy to have a second char for backup. Preferably someone with different tools to Ermac to get me out of situations which maybe Ermac can't get me out of.

My playstyle is quite varied, I like good pressure but also dont mind counter-attacking playstyle either. Im not too fussed on zoners (eg Sinestro in Injustice)

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
This early in the game, I think it's a good idea to learn several. Now, the amount of time you want to invest in that is your call and the choice is a lot harder if you plan on playing competetively. But it never hurts to understand what makes a lot of characters tick and if you end up not liking them at least you know they're strings and how to deal with playing against them.

So yes, learn another character.

Bopper69

Noob
I'd say that it is always good to know how to use a second or third character, but never go overboard. My best advice is to just find a character that covers whatever your or your main's weakness is and go from there.
Yeah I agree, In injustice I ended up using too many characters and found i was getting sloppy with my main, gonna look for someone who covers Ermacs weaknesses let the fun begin :)

Second? I'll let you know when I settle on a first....
Also I can't believe anyone has "mastered" a character yet...
Oh still haven't found someone you like? Haha it is tough it took me a few days before i discovered Ermac. Yeah I mean master in due course not right this moment lol.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The more characters you learn, the better. The Art of War teaches to know your enemy like you know yourself. You can bet your ass I will never be using Johnny Cage or Sub Zero in any matches, but I'll be taking both into the lab for hours on end to learn their frames, strengths, and weaknesses.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Yeah I agree, In injustice I ended up using too many characters and found i was getting sloppy with my main, gonna look for someone who covers Ermacs weaknesses let the fun begin :)

Oh still haven't found someone you like? Haha it is tough it took me a few days before i discovered Ermac. Yeah I mean master in due course not right this moment lol.
Yeah its the opposite really I like about 7 or so characters right now and I'm having fun with them all... Will probably play them all for fun but for me to be good with someone they need to have certain things that even I'm not sure about due to my.? Disability... Its hard to find someone I'm actually viable with...

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I'd say that it is always good to know how to use a second or third character, but never go overboard. My best advice is to just find a character that covers whatever your or your main's weakness is and go from there.
This is a good approach. I'd go with it.

I'm not a believer of playing a lot of characters in FGs in the current gen. In the old days characters didn't have so much detail and had a lot of moves in common, so you could play plenty at once. But now there's just so much to learn that you pass up deep lying details of your main by playing too many others. 2 characters are enough for me.

I have always learnt the whole cast,with mk9 injustice and i will with this also, thats just my personal preference but we are all different, i like doing that as it means i have allot of options depending on who they pick, and i can always win by counter picking them especially if they only know a few characters, like i find allot of people have started spamming with jacqueline, so for example if u have only learnt someone with no teleport its gonna be a bit harder to counter this spam, where as if u have mastered raidens displacer variation and his quick teleport or scorpions ermacs ect they have options rather than block then dash block then dash,so i would always recommend giving yourself more options and cant lose by learning more than one character

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Yup, always good to have alts. But have one that you can master and know it like the back of your hand.

Playing one character leads to mastery but a few others help you learn the game as a whole better, there's a balance.

I don't want quan chi to be a crutch that I don't have to adapt to the games movement to win with.

Varion

Noob
I'm having a REALLY hard time picking a second... I main kung Jin, and Idk who to go for next, suggestions?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I don't know how people can stick to one character. After playing 5 or so matches in a row online with the same character, against the same person, I start to feel bored, like I need a change. Then I start switching between a few different characters. Although that "itch" resets with each new opponent. It's weird.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I play secondaries mostly for fun. If i play an alt too often i get rusty with my main. I also gravitate towards stronger characters for a main so that i have more options without having to counterpick

here is my opinion.

its best to MASTER a character, given time you can probably master 2-3.

but do not neglect the other characters. part of mastering a character is knowing what to do when facing a opponent.

so no you dont have to master the entire cast, master 1-3 characters, preferrably ones that cover eachother. then all you need to learn about the rest of the cast is there options against you. during X situation what can jonny cage do to my ermac? what are his options so i know how to defend/counter.

thats all you really need to know for hte rest of the cast, still gonna take a while tho.

for me ive almost exclusively messed with cryomancer (maybe i am just not as good at fighting games as i thought even with all the practice i can still drop a combo 25% of the time if its not braindead easy)

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
not this early i don't think

i learn slow so i put all my time into one character early and then branch out later on