What's new

Is it a good idea to do d1 ms or d3 ms?

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Should I cancel them into ms? Does it actually cancel any frames or am I just chaining them? I never see pro Sonyas doing it, does it get you blown up?

Sometimes when someone is crouch blocking I'll do d1~tackle. I think it's useful, but I don't really know if it's safe.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Sonya's d3 is almost useless, so don't bother with it. It can act as an OTG, but yields no advantage on either hit or block. An attempt to follow it with a Military Stance attack can get interrupted easily.

d1 is little better. On block, it will have no cancel advantage and can also be poked out. On hit, I can see it working, but even then a d1 doesn't give a lot of hit advantage. I would only throw it out once in a blue moon.

d4 - Military Stance is your best bet with the character.

NariTuba

disMember
Ive recently picked up Sonya, shes awesome! Ill add something to what blake said:

d1 links DO open up opportunities to d1~Excartwheel

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I prefer D1~MS esp after a blocked F1 off MS pressure since it's +1 on block. I only really use D3~MS in a situation where I want to OTG my opponent.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Well think about this: why would you be poking with Sonya? If you're reading a poke, you should be doing a divekick. If you're reading a blockstring, you should either ex cartwheel or duck (depending on your opponents strings) and punish. IMO if you're in poking range with Sonya you're a little too close. d1~MS is good every once in a while, but poking isn't really Sonya's thing.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
There are certain characters like sektor where I use d1 ms vs occasionally. Against characters like cage though it is a definite bad idea imo. You are risking too much for not so much benefit.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It depends on the matchup and really your opponent. If they want to get into the poking counterpoking game, you can use d1ms and mix it up with d1ex cartwheel. Sometimes you can sneack a d1ms4 or a d1ms overhead in, etc. I would not base your offense on it all however.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Well think about this: why would you be poking with Sonya? If you're reading a poke, you should be doing a divekick. If you're reading a blockstring, you should either ex cartwheel or duck (depending on your opponents strings) and punish. IMO if you're in poking range with Sonya you're a little too close. d1~MS is good every once in a while, but poking isn't really Sonya's thing.
I hear ya, but if your read is not correct you can get punished on a dive kick. If you counter poke into MS or especially do it off of MS F1 on block is a safer option.