What's new

Question - Fisticuffs Is fisticuffs still viable?

Hi , so im wondering about fisticuffs cage im aware that he got nerfed in the last few patches but does he still have good pressure or did the nerf completely kill him?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
He still had really good corner pressure and b1212 ect is a really good armor breaking move so it's great as a meaty. It's just not as mindless as it use to be so your gonna have to stagger it more for mix-ups.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Viable for what? He only lost a couple of frames on one string in the nerf. The only thing they could do to "completely kill" him is get rid of nutpunch.

Have you even played the character yet? Judge for yourself what "good pressure" looks like and go to training mode.

Viable for what? He only lost a couple of frames on one string in the nerf. The only thing they could do to "completely kill" him is get rid of nutpunch.

Have you even played the character yet? Judge for yourself what "good pressure" looks like and go to training mode.
I did not play him yet thats why im asking here i dont know much about this game , basiclly your the one coming here and judging.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I did not play him yet thats why im asking here i dont know much about this game , basiclly your the one coming here and judging.
Sorry if I came across as rude or something but theres nothing that anyone here can tell you about Fistycuffs that you are going to want to hear.

If you havent played the character and dont know much about the game then you have a long way to go before it matters what characters are viable, so you are better off just grabbing a character you like the looks of and learning the fundamental aspects, then if you feel you would have better results with another character make the switch.

Sorry if I came across as rude or something but theres nothing that anyone here can tell you about Fistycuffs that you are going to want to hear.

If you havent played the character and dont know much about the game then you have a long way to go before it matters what characters are viable, so you are better off just grabbing a character you like the looks of and learning the fundamental aspects, then if you feel you would have better results with another character make the switch.
I do know the basics and otherstuff but what i dont know is what that character got nerfed and how exactly does it affect the character , iwas unclear and im a huge fan of pressure characters thats why im asking about that i have a main and know pretty much everything about him ( marksman erron black ) etc i just need to learn more about what to actually do in a match , but in gernaral what i do mean is that what exactly did the nerf do to him can he still do pressure or no? If i go in practice mode id probably get it wrong thats why im asking here

Error404

Noob
Honestly if you have the execution fisticuffs was always pointless , for me at least. Not counting the chip buff a-list does more chip damage. And the ability to pressure and combo of off f3 is priceless.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Hi , so im wondering about fisticuffs cage im aware that he got nerfed in the last few patches but does he still have good pressure or did the nerf completely kill him?
I am not a rush down fool. But as an active observer of TYM, I can attest to the line of reasoning that Flame Fist Liu Kang invalidated Fisticuffs Johnny Cage. Upon Flame Fist Liu Kang's normalizations in the most recent patch, the struggle for invalidation continues as the rush down community attempts to solve which character invalidated Flame Fist Liu Kang.

I am not a rush down fool. But as an active observer of TYM, I can attest to the line of reasoning that Flame Fist Liu Kang invalidated Fisticuffs Johnny Cage. Upon Flame Fist Liu Kang's normalizations in the most recent patch, the struggle for invalidation continues as the rush down community attempts to solve which character invalidated Flame Fist Liu Kang.
I m not sure if i understand but i dont main liu kang nor did i ever wanted to

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Flame fist chip is legit but I would still say Fisty has its uses. Gets people to the corner faster, converts into nutpunches off everything and has more opportunities to stagger or go for throws. On paper fistycuffs looks like the nerf hurt him a lot, but when you actually put it into a match its fine.

Since his recent normalisation, Boneshaper pretty much gets a better mixup/pressure situation than any "rush down fool" when he ends in a re-stand though.. so there is that.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I do know the basics and otherstuff but what i dont know is what that character got nerfed and how exactly does it affect the character , iwas unclear and im a huge fan of pressure characters thats why im asking about that i have a main and know pretty much everything about him ( marksman erron black ) etc i just need to learn more about what to actually do in a match , but in gernaral what i do mean is that what exactly did the nerf do to him can he still do pressure or no? If i go in practice mode id probably get it wrong thats why im asking here
You can see all the frame data in game, or at www.mkxframedata.com (with all known errors and bugs listed) and also the patch notes are online stating exactly what they changed with each character. If you are a huge fan of pressure characters then Johnny cage has everything you need, but you will get more from playing around in practice for 10 minutes than you ever will asking this forum about fisticuffs.

You can see all the frame data in game, or at www.mkxframedata.com (with all known errors and bugs listed) and also the patch notes are online stating exactly what they changed with each character. If you are a huge fan of pressure characters then Johnny cage has everything you need, but you will get more from playing around in practice for 10 minutes than you ever will asking this forum about fisticuffs.
Obviously yes but sometimes i just understand stuff wrongly , my english isn't really good so i have trouble understanding anyways , thanks.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Every 3 reps or so use to be zero on bock and now it's always -3 or 4 and they made b1 a frame slower.
Prepatch b1 had 9 frames startup. Post patch was listed as 10, but in the most recent patch is listed as 11. So they actually added 2 frames.
People don't need to respect now his pressure as much as they had to do it prepatch. I still think that nerf was too heavy. A move called speedbag should have speed...

Wigy

There it is...
Tbh i don't see any matchup where a list isn't a better option. JC's footsies and mobility are best in his a list variation, in his SD he hits hardest, has some okay frame traps and doesn't get zoned out as badly.

But i really see no reason for fisticuffs, before i used it on characters with bad wakeups to steamroll them in the corner but now its easily poked out of, a list seems better in every way

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
A-List struggles a lot in many matchups, but it still is his best variation at the moment.

Fisticuff is preferable to A-list only if the Cage player feels unsure about his cancel execution, it is by far his worst variation....nothing more than gimmicks really. It can work only if the opponent doesn't know the matchup.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Fisticuff is preferable to A-list only if the Cage player feels unsure about his cancel execution, it is by far his worst variation....nothing more than gimmicks really. It can work only if the opponent doesn't know the matchup.
And as in serious gameplay all players will know the matchup sooner or later, fisticuffs will not be viable at all. That's why he needs an urgent buff.