What's new

Is Anyone here actually going to use kratos?

Kratos is for the people who Just want to play the game with friends and online casually. Anyone going to tournaments wont bother learning him outsides of his movelist.

Icecar

Noob
Kratos has slow moves, his f4 is basically the quick start for his launch (which is slow by itself) and has decent speed but very limited range. He wouldn't be good for high level offline play or tournament play, but for online play that's a different story. Kratos has THE easiest meterless 43%(midscreen) in the game, add 2 meters to that in a corner and it goes to 54% which is also easy. You can do these moves online even with some lag since you're really just pressing about 6 buttons and against casuals who don't know game mechanics? Free wins with Kratos.

lobo

woof.
Kratos has slow moves, his f4 is basically the quick start for his launch (which is slow by itself) and has decent speed but very limited range. He wouldn't be good for high level offline play or tournament play, but for online play that's a different story. Kratos has THE easiest meterless 43%(midscreen) in the game, add 2 meters to that in a corner and it goes to 54% which is also easy. You can do these moves online even with some lag since you're really just pressing about 6 buttons and against casuals who don't know game mechanics? Free wins with Kratos.
lol don't forget his arrows with the stupid recovery that are like +4 on block online.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Kratos is one of the best characters in the game imo. Too bad he is only playable on ps3, but I'll definitely use him in casual games.

He's probably the best anti zoner because of his parry, he has decent anti air, good pressure with arrows up close, and can control spacing very well by ending block strings with slide~dash cancel.

Depending on the setup, Kratos can do 40-50% midscreen without meter and up to 60% on the wall. Since his normal damage is so high, he doesn't have to rely on X-ray, giving him more freedom to use breakers or :en parry.

Detective-E

We are many.
I don't think Kratos should be banned. That's removing an entire usable character/stage from the game. And they put a lot of work into him.
I really want to use him, but he's banned because the xbros can't use him.

But shouldn't that mean DLC characters are banned too? I mean not everyone buys the DLC, just as not everyone bought the PS3 Version.
It wouldn't be fair if I didn't have practice against DLC characters.

I could extend that to Cyber Sub and Quan Chi too because they require story mode to be complete, but that's pushing it.

I mean think about it.

DLC characters should be banned too, you might say "It's not my fault you didn't buy the DLC."
But just as well, it's not my fault you didn't buy the PS3 Version.

Seems like such a waste of a good character/stage.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Since the DLC is available to both consoles, its in the players hands to DL it. Just like buying the game, its the players responsibility.

cyke_out

Noob
even you didn't buy the DLC, you will be able to play against them online and get some experience. There is no way a xbox user can ever get experience fighting against Kratos.

And frankly, if you can't afford to buy DLC, you can't afford to go tournies.

Because in order to be competitive I must have 2 systems and 2 of the same game just in case they release exclusive characters. Right?

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
I don't think Kratos should be banned. That's removing an entire usable character/stage from the game. And they put a lot of work into him.
I really want to use him, but he's banned because the xbros can't use him.

But shouldn't that mean DLC characters are banned too? I mean not everyone buys the DLC, just as not everyone bought the PS3 Version.
It wouldn't be fair if I didn't have practice against DLC characters.

I could extend that to Cyber Sub and Quan Chi too because they require story mode to be complete, but that's pushing it.

I mean think about it.

DLC characters should be banned too, you might say "It's not my fault you didn't buy the DLC."
But just as well, it's not my fault you didn't buy the PS3 Version.

Seems like such a waste of a good character/stage.

Kratos being banned is fair. It wouldn't be fair to Xbox 360 users who wouldn't be able to play Kratos because they got Xbox 360. So banning him is fair. Exclusive characters will always be banned.

Why would DLC characters need to be banned? DLC will be on both PS3 and Xbox 360. It the person's responsibility to buy the DLC just like how they bought the game. Kratos is an exclusive character and is not on Xbox 360 so that why Kratos is banned.

DLC characters=Not banned because the DLC will be on both PS3 and Xbox 360

Kratos=banned because he only on PS3 and not on Xbox 360 and would be unfair for Xbox 360 players who won't have the experience playing him. So banning Kratos is right since he is an exclusive character.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Kratos and every other console specific character in any fighting game will ALWAYS be banned from competitive tourney play. Period. It is final and absolute.

Your people and your delusions

If you are seriously banning a character due to not having matchup experience, you should look back in the 90's where you couldn't get matchup experience because not everyone in your local area played the entire cast since there is no online, which also rules out information on matchups itself. So what? You are going to baby everyone these days because NOW you have access to online and information?

Ban Kratos because X360 doesn't have access to him? Ever heard of walking down the street? Taking a drive? Visiting a friend or a local with the game on PS3? Are you that much of a shut-in that you can't take your time and go do something other than ban a perfectly good, non-broken part of the game?

The only excusable reason why console exclusive characters should be banned is because since they are console exclusive, there will be in no way they would be able to fight each other. Since there is no Xbox exclusive character, this should not be the case for Kratos.

Since the DLC is available to both consoles, its in the players hands to DL it. Just like buying the game, its the players responsibility.
Since money, friends, and/or locals is available to both consoles, its in the players hands to get out there and learn from what you can. Just going out there and learning the game, is the player's responsibility.

even you didn't buy the DLC, you will be able to play against them online and get some experience. There is no way a xbox user can ever get experience fighting against Kratos.

And frankly, if you can't afford to buy DLC, you can't afford to go tournies.
There is never a case where an xbox user can never get experience fighting anything.
So frankly, if you aren't willing to get out there and even attempt to learn the matchup, you don't deserve to win at tournies.

Spending 300 bucks just to buy a brand new system is way different than spending 10-15 bucks for some DLC
It's spending money either way, no matter the difference. There's always an alternative, so don't ever use money as an excuse.

Because in order to be competitive I must have 2 systems and 2 of the same game just in case they release exclusive characters. Right?
No

Kratos being banned is fair. It wouldn't be fair to Xbox 360 users who wouldn't be able to play Kratos because they got Xbox 360. So banning him is fair. Exclusive characters will always be banned.

Why would DLC characters need to be banned? DLC will be on both PS3 and Xbox 360. It the person's responsibility to buy the DLC just like how they bought the game. Kratos is an exclusive character and is not on Xbox 360 so that why Kratos is banned.

DLC characters=Not banned because the DLC will be on both PS3 and Xbox 360

Kratos=banned because he only on PS3 and not on Xbox 360 and would be unfair for Xbox 360 players who won't have the experience playing him. So banning Kratos is right since he is an exclusive character.
Banning Kratos is not fair. It wouldn't be fair to PS3 users who took their time to learn how to play Kratos since they have a PS3. So banning him isn't fair. Exclusive characters should only be banned if there are exclusive characters for each console.

Why would DLC characters need to be banned? With your arguements, DLC might be on both PS3 and Xbox 360, but it is not the person's responsibility to buy the DLC just like how it isn't, in your arguement, their responsibility to have bought the game on a console with an exclusive they apparently refuse to to learn the matchup against. Kratos is an exclusive character and while Xbox 360 itself does not, so that why Kratos should not banned.

DLC characters=should be banned like Kratos because the DLC, may be on both PS3 and Xbox 360, but not everyone will have access to them. If you're saying, go online, then here's the thing, thanks to the first purchase award, not everyone will have access to online either. If you're serioiusly going to argue about not spending money to get online or the DLC, you're being a hypocrite if you're saying the same thing about buying a PS3. Spending money is spending money, it matters no difference the price range. There ARE alternatives.

Kratos=not banned because he only on PS3 but while Xbox 360 has nothing, and would be unfair for PS3 players who took their time to earn the experience playing him. So banning Kratos is wrong since he is the only exclusive character.

Kratos and every other console specific character in any fighting game will ALWAYS be banned from competitive tourney play. Period. It is final and absolute.
That should only be the case when there are two or more characters who will never be able to legitimately be matched up against each other.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Never said they weren't.

Just saying those who stick to that poor reasoning are pretty pathetic when you don't take this into consideration
The ONLY thing taken into consideration in this process is CONSOLE SPECIFIC. It won change. ever. and it shouldnt.

The ONLY thing taken into consideration in this process is CONSOLE SPECIFIC. It won change. ever. and it shouldnt.
I already said I never said it wasn't.

I already said that if that's really the only poor reasoning that's being stuck to, that is very pathetic.

It's always going to be that exclusives are banned. It wouldn't make any kind of sense for them to be in torny play. Not because people don't know the match up, but because some people do not have access to these characters and may want to use them. 360 players aren't going to get to use Kratos at all.

Think about it, not every torny is always held on PS3 only. So, you really can't enforce a rule that allows exclusive sometimes and sometimes not. If a torny was held on 360 and your best character is Kratos then guess what? You are fucked... end of story.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I already said I never said it wasn't.

I already said that if that's really the only poor reasoning that's being stuck to, that is very pathetic.
It must be pathetic because your not understanding the big picture.

Well, then everyone who thinks Kratos should be playable in the competitive tourney scene needs to provide PS3's with MK9 (with whatever kind of stick or controller they prefer) so that it makes it fair for everyone.

Hydro

Lin Kuei
I was thinking that it would make sense to allow Kratos, since there's no 'alternative' on the 360 as stated here already, but then thought about it from a TO's, Sponsor's, and Advertister's point of view. There's no way that would fly logically, unfortunately.

Detective-E

We are many.
I was thinking that it would make sense to allow Kratos, since there's no 'alternative' on the 360 as stated here already, but then thought about it from a TO's, Sponsor's, and Advertister's point of view. There's no way that would fly logically, unfortunately.
Even with this, it's still making a character basically useless. Which is a big waste and makes him non-existent, which is both a let down and inconvenient.

cyke_out

Noob
This not new or unique to just MK.

Sc2 had guest characters for all 3 different consoles, and all 3 were banned, regardless of what console was being used in a tourny.

Sc4 had exclusive guest characters for the first few months of the game, and both were banned from tournament play regardless of what console was being used in the tourny. However, once those guest characters went from being exclusive to each console and became paid DLC, every console could now use the characters and they were unbanned at tournies.

DOA4 had a guest character and it wasn't banned becuase DOA4 was only on one console, so there was no other playerbase that was excluded.

This is a fighting game rule spanning any and every game being used in a competitive enviroment. You don't have to like it, but you have to accept it is the rules and it's not changing.