What's new

Discussion Is all the bashing killing MKX competitively?

Skedar70

Noob
Lately I've been hearing constant negativity about the game we all play. "This game is bad", "No footsies", "Broken characters" "Just 50/50" "No AA" etc and almost nothing good about the game. This all comes from the pro-players who are usually at tournaments.

Competitively MKX has had a good support from Netherrealm and ESL but yet everyone expects this EVO to be the end of the life for the game.

Isn't it possible that all this constant bashing and negativity from the community is what is killing the game competitively. I mean how are new players going to be motivated to join the competitive scene for mkx when all they hear is bad things about the game? Maybe if the community was a little less toxic about their own game and have a positive view towards it the game could have a longer life span.

It is, but thats mainly because of how the game is designed.

But the main thing that bothers me now is how this game is a punching bag to other communities. Anything NRS related, people go out of their way to insult it. I've never seen anything like it. Its kind of sad that our own community feeds into it too.

Skedar70

Noob
It is, but thats mainly because of how the game is designed.

But the main thing that bothers me now is how this game is a punching bag to other communities. Anything NRS related, people go out of their way to insult it. I've never seen anything like it. Its kind of sad that our own community feeds into it too.
Well no game is perfect, I mean is made by humans it can't.

You are right, if this community talks bad about their game soo will other communities.

Matix218

Get over here!
Esl still has good numbers. Offline majors are still pulling decent numbers. The Evo thing has more to do with the "expected competitive shelf life" of an nrs game in the evo people's eyes being two years (although mk9 did get 3).

I don't think the bashing and negativity you see in stream chats and tym have as big of an impact on evo deciding if mkx will be a main game or not as you think. Nrs is still fully supporting the game from a competitive perspective. Lets see what happens with nrs/esl support and offline tournament attendance after this year's evo and I am sure that if the support is still there it will likely show up a third year at evo on the main stage.

Goat-City

Banned
It's the opposite, MKX's scrub pandering nature kills the competitive scene and is the reason it gets criticized. The fact is that most of the criticism MKX gets is true and deserved, so why should people lie or withhold the truth just so MAYBE some more people will play it? Maybe NRS will learn their lesson and not screw up something as simple as anti-airing next time.

And there is no evidence to suggest the competitive scene will die sooner than MK9 or Injustice based on its current success. If it does then we know why it did, and it's not because people talk about its problems, it's the problems themselves that people have to talk about them.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Not really, ESL money and pot bonuses will keep it alive. Combo Breaker has like 160, which is a pretty good number.

The big problem is you have a bunch of guys that talk shit but will still try to get money (that they will never get) and then you have the people that talk shit but don't go to offline tourneys but they compete in ESL So no one's actually leaving, you just hear a bunch of talking heads on the forums who can't beat anyone talking about how they have no options.

XxDark_

Noob
It's the opposite, MKX's scrub pandering nature kills the competitive scene and is the reason it gets criticized. The fact is that most of the criticism MKX gets is true and deserved, so why should people lie or withhold the truth just so MAYBE some more people will play it? Maybe NRS will learn their lesson and not screw up something as simple as anti-airing next time.

And there is no evidence to suggest the competitive scene will die sooner than MK9 or Injustice. If it does then we know why it did, and it's not because people talk about its problems, it's the problems themselves that people have to talk about them.
The problem with anti air's is that they gave some characters ridiculous jump ins and cross ups. But if you have the right spacing and use the correct normal this shouldn't be a problem. it is a lot harder than it should be at times but i've gotten used to it.

Skedar70

Noob

And there is no evidence to suggest the competitive scene will die sooner than MK9 or Injustice based on its current success. If it does then we know why it did, and it's not because people talk about its problems, it's the problems themselves that people have to talk about them.
Sure the game has his issues, and I don't mean lie but we can also talk about the good things that the game has.

Goat-City

Banned
Sure the game has his issues, and I don't mean lie but we can also talk about the good things that the game has.
People do talk about the good things in it all the time, myself included. It's about 50/50 lol, but the negativity stands out more because the good things MKX has are standard, they're expected to be there. It's like praising parents for feeding their children, yeah it's a great responsible thing to do but as a parent that's kind of expected lol.

Other communities talk down on smash and that community remains strong. If MKX is dying in the competitive scene it’s because of MKX. Many pros had many dislike from the beginning of the game life. Things didn’t really change so of course that built up dislike would transpire to how most feel about the game now.

Like I've mentioned before MKX came in 4th at EVO last year with 1162 registrations. I would be interested to see if that number decrease /increase this year. If it in fact decreases then its safe to say the scene is definitely shrinking.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
The only thing that can kill the game competitively is the fact that competitors just don't enjoy competing and stop doing it.
And this happens when the game is not balanced enough. A lot of tournament players (and not tournament, but regular players) are disappointed not only with the game mechanics, but with the balance decisions too.

Instead of so much money for prizes, nrs should invest a little bit more in hiring employees that actually care about their own game, and interact more with the community to improve the game.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

I'd say it's a mixture of the bashing and the game itself that could be killing it competitively. However, both of the aforementioned reasons coincide with one another. The bashing stems from the issue(s) that people have with the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweedy

Noob
Egos have everything to do with it. The people who actively bash MK on here and in stream chats, because of the lack of fundamentals, aren't pros on games with their preference of fundamentals. They're just making excuses for why they're not winning. Some people literally don't know the frames on any of Alien's stuff and they want him banned, because "the rekkas are too safe".

The level of salt in the Netherrealm chat after Dragon won his 9th ESL tournament in a row, was worth the Alien propaganda. You could just see the salt and even desperation in what people were saying. One person who posts here regularly even tried to say that anyone could do as well as Dragon if they "gave up their pride", and picked Alien. None of you bums could even make top 64 in the ESL if you picked up Alien. Please. There's 200k on the line. You're not failing because you won't pick up Alien. You're failing because the guys who do well are better than you.

Edit: "you bums" wasn't referencing most of the people on this site. Sorry if anyone took it that way. Just the stream monsters and people on here who are trash and bash Alien, to protect their ego.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Egos have everything to do with it. The people who actively bash MK on here and in stream chats, because of the lack of fundamentals, aren't pros on games with their preference of fundamentals. They're just making excuses for why they're not winning. Some people literally don't know the frames on any of Alien's stuff and they want him banned, because "the rekkas are too safe".

The level of salt in the Netherrealm chat after Dragon won his 9th ESL tournament in a row, was worth the Alien propaganda. You could just see the salt and even desperation in what people were saying. One person who posts here regularly even tried to say that anyone could do as well as Dragon if they "gave up their pride", and picked Alien. None of you bums could even make top 64 in the ESL if you picked up Alien. Please. There's 200k on the line. You're not failing because you won't pick up Alien. You're failing because the guys who do well are better than you.
I'm gonna state the following right now to you and anyone else who may feel the need to respond to this: Don't turn this thread into the last few threads where Alien got brought up. Keep it civil and on topic.

I'm not claiming you're trying to start anything, but people just love to push your buttons, as they've all made that pretty clear with their responses before. Don't play into it and no one else should try starting it up.

This is everyone's only warning.