What's new

Question Is a rushdown Kenshi viable at the highest level?

Kenshi has mix ups a plenty sure, but the speed of his strings all together are pretty dang slow. reacting to them gaps probably isn't to difficult at high levels for him to hold a consistent rush down. best leave em at a distance, or use dat bad ass throw

Espio

Kokomo
Just in my opinion, you should incorporate all of your character's tools into your game at the highest possible level...zoning, pressure/rushdown, footsies, spacing etc.

Playing rushdown or zoning is the same for every character in the sense that it's match up dependent as well as situationally based (i.e. opponent has the lifelead or you do, to mix the opponent up so they don't get too comfortable with your style of play, build more meter off of blockstrings and the list goes on).

He has safe options for pressure as well.

21b2 is his best string for mixups (by hthe way i think the second hit of the string is really viable for footsies) i can stagger this string and/or go for a low, i can cancel the end into shoulder or rising karma (which is punishable) and it puts me at optimal spacing if i dont for a shoulder or a b2 mixup, which if spaced makes my opponent have to respect a shoulder giving me mixup options.... he also gets a shoulder or not mixup from his frame trap.... and in the corner his rushdown is absolutely insane because of his frame trap and the fact you ahve to respect the shoulder after.... the fact that one of the best footsieing overheads with a gargantuan hitbox sets up a shoulder mixup is scary, same with 21b2.... meaning 21b2 is a mixup in the corner especially because i can dashup and do it again if you are respecting shoulder, giving me the option to stagger it cancel into armor..... so many things

kenshi can rushdown like a motherfucker, and why not grab with him

21b2 is his best string for mixups (by hthe way i think the second hit of the string is really viable for footsies) i can stagger this string and/or go for a low, i can cancel the end into shoulder or rising karma (which is punishable) and it puts me at optimal spacing if i dont for a shoulder or a b2 mixup, which if spaced makes my opponent have to respect a shoulder giving me mixup options.... he also gets a shoulder or not mixup from his frame trap.... and in the corner his rushdown is absolutely insane because of his frame trap and the fact you ahve to respect the shoulder after.... the fact that one of the best footsieing overheads with a gargantuan hitbox sets up a shoulder mixup is scary, same with 21b2.... meaning 21b2 is a mixup in the corner especially because i can dashup and do it again if you are respecting shoulder, giving me the option to stagger it cancel into armor..... so many things

kenshi can rushdown like a motherfucker, and why not grab with him

this is why i think eventually his matchup numbers will calm down a bit and well find kung lao and kabal arent as horrible as they are right now.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
this is why i think eventually his matchup numbers will calm down a bit and well find kung lao and kabal arent as horrible as they are right now.
KL will always be bad for Kenshi for 2 main reasons though:

- 7f standing 2, this means that he doesnt have to respect the shoulder when theyre at neutral frames, he can just mash out 2s, works even better since Kenshis hitbox is massive. This means Kenshi pretty much has to use armour if he wants to contest at neutral.

- Teleport/divekicks, not for the move itself, but the threat of it. This means that KL can zone Kenshi at variable points in the match, bait a response and punish with teleports/divekicks.

If Sonya had a means of punishing Kenshi full screen, she'd be bad for him too.
Maybe Sektor too, but I dunno.

- 7f standing 2, this means that he doesnt have to respect the shoulder when theyre at neutral frames, he can just mash out 2s, works even better since Kenshis hitbox is massive. This means Kenshi pretty much has to use armour if he wants to contest at neutral.

- Teleport/divekicks, not for the move itself, but the threat of it. This means that KL can zone Kenshi at variable points in the match, bait a response and punish with teleports/divekicks.

I read somewhere by FOREVER KING that Kenshi's big ass hitbox allows Lao to basically lock Kenshi into any and all pressure into tele3. So essentially if Lao gets in he can do whatever the fuck he wants

NariTuba

disMember
People get agitated by smokes running away, but he cant actually hurt you until you make the mistake.
This is true, but its so horribly annoying to watch him build that x-ray with smoke bombs and shake cancels. Especially considering his damage output with meter.

yeah but 2 is duckable and i have d3 or d1 into shoulder

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
SC range still takes the risk of trading with a SB though, which would still be in Smoke favour damage wise.
B2 and F3 are probably better bets to go with IMO.

Kenshis rushdown rules are pretty similar to KL at some points, at 0f is he gonna shoulder or not?
If they respect the shoulder, do another string, if they dont, do a shoulder.
If the respect the spin, do another sting, if they dont, spin.

Simple stuff, just that what Kenshi lacks in speed he makes up in overhead/lows. Vice versa with KL.
Spirit Charge is Safe. Spin is not.. Risk/Reward.

SC range still takes the risk of trading with a SB though, which would still be in Smoke favour damage wise.
B2 and F3 are probably better bets to go with IMO.

Kenshis rushdown rules are pretty similar to KL at some points, at 0f is he gonna shoulder or not?
If they respect the shoulder, do another string, if they dont, do a shoulder.
If the respect the spin, do another sting, if they dont, spin.

Simple stuff, just that what Kenshi lacks in speed he makes up in overhead/lows. Vice versa with KL.

okay, im going to try kenshi