What's new

is 1 a viable AA option

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Is standing 1 a viable option for anti air (like JC's standing 1)? I cant properly test at home and online is such a joke. I would love to be able to AA 1, dash 12,12, soul steal. Thanks.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Damn. He's so hard to use when people get jumpy. There's got to be a way to make people think twice before jumping in.

Pretty much all his anti airs require a prediction. Close Up Skull (DB2), Uppercut (slowest in the game, absolute trash move, can't even punish certain moves because of this), standing 1, standing 2, standing 3, back 1, close ground skull, neutral jump punch. None of his moves are fast enough to be used to react to any anti air, which is odd since he is supposed to be a zoner. With more and more characters getting armor, his zoning his becoming more and more pointless and some characters beat him pretty harshly in the zoning wars. I've lost all faith in Shang after this last patch (lost his corner pressure, seems like he gets nerfed every patch now).

galindo

Noob
Yes, I do it off-line all the time. It has a decent hitbox, or atleast it feels like that.

Sometimes I get it online, but mostly on predictable opponents.

Its easier for me to land an AA 1 with shang than sektor

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Pretty much all his anti airs require a prediction. Close Up Skull (DB2), Uppercut (slowest in the game, absolute trash move, can't even punish certain moves because of this), standing 1, standing 2, standing 3, back 1, close ground skull, neutral jump punch. None of his moves are fast enough to be used to react to any anti air, which is odd since he is supposed to be a zoner. With more and more characters getting armor, his zoning his becoming more and more pointless and some characters beat him pretty harshly in the zoning wars. I've lost all faith in Shang after this last patch (lost his corner pressure, seems like he gets nerfed every patch now).

I understand how you feel. Against the majority of my opponents, I end up just not trying to zone anymore. It's easy to escape and god damn do those skulls come out slow. I think it'd be great if all of his EX skulls had one hit of armor. Not calling for a buff! :)

I just like the character and wish he wasnt so useless.

galindo

Noob
How is he useless? You know you can pressure with him too...im not even gonna get into the list

Useless? Get real man

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
How is he useless? You know you can pressure with him too...im not even gonna get into the list

Useless? Get real man
Sorry...Hyperbole. He's not useless. I just have a hell of a time beating any of the S tier which is 75% of the matches I play. Not to mention after the first match everyone picks Cyber Sub the rest of the time and then he really is useless.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Sorry...Hyperbole. He's not useless. I just have a hell of a time beating any of the S tier which is 75% of the matches I play. Not to mention after the first match everyone picks Cyber Sub the rest of the time and then he really is useless.
Iunno...morph?

I like D+1 better. Haven't had too much training with standing 1. Gonna implement that, though.

Try keeping questions in the "Ask Shang Tsung" thread.

I feel like this is his best AA...
1, dash 1 2, dash 1 2, dash 1 2, upskull for pressure, / soul steal for whatever.

Belial

Noob
I've already answered to this before
yes his best AA is 1 , its easy to do on reaction

best/easiest combo off this is
AA 1, 12~GS, 12~SS

Fatality XBL

Red-eye Ragin'
Shang's 1 is actually a decent AA. 1 12 F+4xxDU+4 dash 12xxDU+2 is probably your best bet online or offline if you can pull it off. This sets you up for more crossovers and a free jump in if they block it. Mix-up the last upskull with forward upskulls.

mekane

Noob
does 1 beat out jump kicks?

does it matter on the opponent's jump kick? (seems like some jump kicks have bigger hitboxes, i.e. Jax's)

does it beat out jump kicks from all different angles if properly timed? Or do you need to have certain spacing... and if so what is that spacing, do you want to be more below them or farthest away from them horizontally as possible?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Just to note because I didn't see it mentioned, if you want to dash back and anti-air 1 remember to put in another directional input before the 1 otherwise you'll get a fireball. It has happened to me so many times. :(

mekane

Noob
Just to note because I didn't see it mentioned, if you want to dash back and anti-air 1 remember to put in another directional input before the 1 otherwise you'll get a fireball. It has happened to me so many times. :(
funny i was just talking to you in Jax thread lol, but i read in the guide you are not supposed to back dash with shang apparently. hard to get in the habit though if he's not your main.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Shang is like an illusion he appears to be a zoning character but really he's better at being aggresive. You have think and make good reads to make Shang work properly.

Shang is like an illusion he appears to be a zoning character but really he's better at being aggresive. You have think and make good reads to make Shang work properly.
Your quoting what I said about 5 months ago. A lot can change during 5 months...