What's new

Tech - Sub-Zero Invisible Corpse Hop

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I found this a while ago but I thought it's useless, but recently I took a second look at it and it might be useful against some characters.

Sub-Zero's d4 shifts his hurtbox forward during it's active frames. After a knockdown if you run in and do a d4, Sub-Zero's hurtbox will move behind his opponent without actually crossing them up.

This makes most fast wakeups whiff completely, and you can whiff punish what otherwise would be safe, like Cassie's EX Flipkick and Kung Jin's EX Cartwheel.

Against Goro I recorded the AI to do the setup, and I tried to wakeup myself. You'll see that all wakeups whiff (Punchwalk's first hit whiffs, and you can block the other 2.) Same against Shaolin Jin. His cartwheel that is usually safe can be whiff punished with a full combo.

The problem with this is that usually the opponent has a bunch of wake ups, for example Cassie's EX Flip kick will whiff completely, but the dive kick is slow and it won't whiff, so she'll hit you if she woke up with a divekick instead of flip kick.

Anyway, do with it what you will. Not that anyone uses anything other than Grandmaster anyway

Braindead

Welp the video lost the 60 fps rate when I used Youtube's video editor to combine the clips :S

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
That's really cool. I might test with other peoples low profiling moves to see if they have anything. Good find Braindead!

Braindead

That's really cool. I might test with other peoples low profiling moves to see if they have anything. Good find Braindead!
This is not low profiling. It's a corpse hop. I'm making Slides and Low scoops whiff, that's not low profiling. Also most of the wakeups that whiffed here can't be low profiled in the first place.

@Braindead does this only work with Sub or can all characters do this?
Specific to Sub-Zero. You might find a character with a similar D4 properties, but I'm certain most of the cast doesn't have this.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This is not low profiling. It's a corpse hop. I'm making Slides and Low scoops whiff, that's not low profiling. Also most of the wakeups that whiffed here can't be low profiled in the first place.
Ahh okay. My mistake, apologies.

Braindead

Great find by the way.

Sub Zero is getting closer and closer to top tier.
Eh it doesn't do much to be honest. Sub-Zero is going to put up a clone instead of going for oki pressure. This might be useful with the other 2 variations but they're not really used in the first place.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Cool find! Anti-wakeup tech is always useful. I recently picked up CryoSub and, coming from a D'Vorah main (who can u3 to do something similar), this is certainly not useless if it functions similarly.

Braindead

Cool find! Anti-wakeup tech is always useful. I recently picked up CryoSub and, coming from a D'Vorah main (who can u3 to do something similar), this is certainly not useless if it functions similarly.
The problem is that this only works against fast wakeups. With slower wakeups the d4 will be back to neutral position so the wakeup won't whiff.

Luckily though it does nullify some characters wakeups like Shaolin and Kitana. But Kitana is already free on wakeup since you can just run through her rising fans lol.

Braindead

i sound nooby i know, but whats a corpse hop
A corpse hop is crossing over your opponent while they're on the ground. It's usually done without jumping. In this video I'm momentarily moving Subzero's hitbox to the other side of the opponent making their wakeups whiff.

Braindead

I'm gonna say it; d4 is Sub Zero's best move.

@Braindead how useful do you see this technique midscreen, after the hammer hard knock downs?
I didn't test this much with Cryo's hammer. I think i would go for air hammer instead of this if I wanted to fuck up their wakeup, because the hammer works on everything but this doesn't.

Lokheit

Noob
I'm gonna say it; d4 is Sub Zero's best move.
D4 is one of his best tools and offense initiators, no doubt, but nothing Subbie has can compete with a move made of pure concentrated love like F4, aka "let's safely cancel into all the shit in the world from a long reach and not slow move", the frame data in the menu fails to describe the awesomenes that is F4.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
I was wondering if the corpse hop might be related with D4 clone at starter distance being invulnerable to EX Slide reversal. Reptile ex slide hits him but Subby can't punish any of the clones with it (he just pushes the other Sub-Zero but the damage and KD won't occur). Might be related to the hitbox being in a different position because of the D4?

Braindead

I was wondering if the corpse hop might be related with D4 clone at starter distance being invulnerable to EX Slide reversal. Reptile ex slide hits him but Subby can't punish any of the clones with it (he just pushes the other Sub-Zero but the damage and KD won't occur). Might be related to the hitbox being in a different position because of the D4?
Probably. Reptile's slide and ex slide have 360 hitboxes and can actually hit from behind for some reason. Subby's doesn't have that.

I didn't know that this happens with D4 clone as well.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I think that's another interaction entirely. I can recreate something similar where f4 xx ex clone, forward dash somehow ignores Jax's reversal ex dash fist. Both situations are worth exploring.

Also, does the 12 string corpse hop at all? Just speculating, it looks like it moves far enough/ fast enough.

Braindead

I think that's another interaction entirely. I can recreate something similar where f4 xx ex clone, forward dash somehow ignores Jax's reversal ex dash fist. Both situations are worth exploring.

Also, does the 12 string corpse hop at all? Just speculating, it looks like it moves far enough/ fast enough.
I tried to find corpse hop setups with moves that move forward. I tried b2, 12, F4 and d4. Only D4 did the trick. Couldn't find anything else with the other moves.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
That's too bad. Were you the one who used f12 to do this in the corner? I saw it worked vs. at least Kitana.