What's new

Tech Into the lab: Semi-useful tech

I'm going to post any semi-useful thing i find about lao in here.
13 June 2013:
about 3/4 screen away from the corner/5 dashes/1 roll ± a dash:
21 spin 3 ex hat jkdk jk tele3 3ex hat jk tele3 plumflower 52%
21 spin 3 ex hat jkdk 1 3ex hat jktele3 plumflower 49% (i think)
21 spin take a step njp 4 ex hat jkdk jktele3 plumflower 45% (without just frame. idk how much with, but it's max damage when approaching the corner)

Working on some midscreen stuff, will post more tomorrow. I think i can find something tight that will change the way laos look at BnBs forever.

14 June 2013:
The midscreen stuff isnt worth it. There might be a way to up the damage but at this point i'm not finding it. Here's what i found:
21 spin (take a step) njp (dash)4ex hat (dashblock) (dash)1 (dash)plumflower 37% without just frame. It looks hella cool if you can hit it, but it's lower % than his regular BnBs and infinitely more difficult at every single step.

18 June 2013
Checking the range of the b1f1 string. It seems that it reaches about neutral distance, but it's so slow that it's probably backdashable and whiff punishable on reaction or they can just interrupt it. Might prove extremely useful in the cage matchup though. It has better range than f3, so the cage would likely risk a slight dash in to let the f3 go. If timed right it should hit lao out of b1, if not they eat 42%... risk/reward on this string may not be worth it.

Between then and 4 july 2013
4 teleport combo (i think i saw one before, but i cant say for sure)
njp tele2 jk tele3 2spin jk tele3 3EXhat jk tele3 plumflower 46% (i think, maybe more, defnitely not less though, lol)

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Stuff worth keeping so far as possibly tournament viable tech:
Approaching the corner: 21spin (take a step) njp 4 ex hat jkdk jktele3 plumflower
Is ending it with plum flower optimal? Maybe do 1121~spin or b333 instead? How about not doing the jump kick tele and replacing it with 112, then do plum flower?

Is ending it with plum flower optimal? Maybe do 1121~spin or b333 instead? How about not doing the jump kick tele and replacing it with 112, then do plum flower?
OK, i'll try those in a little bit. plumflower is laos highest damaging combo though, so odds are it's optimal. It also gives good oki because it's +38 (i think, maybe 31) and if you mess up the just fram then it's a hard knockdown that still has pretty good oki.

i tested this, and the 1121 string is possible, but it's only 45 max as opposed to 49. It's also a lot more difficult because you have to catch them extremely exactly as they're falling. the Jk tele3 PF one is really good though. If you happen to catch it with tele3 at the beginning it's 54% into the corner where lao is a demon. So it's his 2nd best 1 bar combo that works on ever character (using mileena costume 3 to test because some combos dont work on females).

coolwhip

Noob
risk/reward on this string may not be worth it.

Yeah, it's really not. I've seen some Lao players use B1F1 as a footsie tool in the Cage match-up (I think I first saw McFly use it), and I've tried incorporating it in my game. Now, it certainly does have its uses, and can serve as a decent tool to stop Cage from getting in. The problem is, it is so damn whiff punishable. In a long set, a good Cage player will scout it and start picking up on it. At best you're eating a shadow kick. At worst, a B3 or F3 into full combo. I'd stick with 2,4 since it has a pretty damn good reach (though it's worth noting that 2,4 overhead is punishable by a shadow kick on block against Cage).

Yeah, it's really not. I've seen some Lao players use B1F1 as a footsie tool in the Cage match-up (I think I first saw McFly use it), and I've tried incorporating it in my game. Now, it certainly does have its uses, and can serve as a decent tool to stop Cage from getting in. The problem is, it is so damn whiff punishable. In a long set, a good Cage player will scout it and start picking up on it. At best you're eating a shadow kick. At worst, a B3 or F3 into full combo. I'd stick with 2,4 since it has a pretty damn good reach (though it's worth noting that 2,4 overhead is punishable by a shadow kick on block against Cage).
its one of those things you do once a few matches. I sometimes use just b1 only and while they try to dash up with f3 expecting the f1 to come out I do a backdash 24 spin. its nothing solid, but you can get that little extra out of your game from it.

Is it alright as an anti-air? for whatever reason cages love to jump in on reaction to lao moving (it beats most of what lao does, 24, f2, hat, low hat, spin(assuming the jump happened after the spin started), etc.) I think it might work though because it's so slow, though i dont have anyone to test this with at the moment. Thanks for the info, i've been working on some other new tech recently that doesnt seem to be worth the effort/meter, especially when you can just hitconfirm into something better, but i'll post some of it anyway because it's some cool looking stuff, lol.

coolwhip

Noob
Is it alright as an anti-air? for whatever reason cages love to jump in on reaction to lao moving (it beats most of what lao does, 24, f2, hat, low hat, spin(assuming the jump happened after the spin started), etc.) I think it might work though because it's so slow, though i dont have anyone to test this with at the moment. Thanks for the info, i've been working on some other new tech recently that doesnt seem to be worth the effort/meter, especially when you can just hitconfirm into something better, but i'll post some of it anyway because it's some cool looking stuff, lol.

It works as an anti-air by mistake, if that makes any sense lol. Meaning that you're not going to use it as a reaction to their jump-in (especially when Lao has much better options), but because the move is so slow, it can catch Cage players jumping in AFTER you have committed to it.

A lot of Cage players like to use a "safe jump" where they jump in from a distance that lands them just outside of your anti-air range (like spin and standing 2). B2F2 is good at accidentally catching them. In truth though, as a reaction to a "safe" jump in, you want to use 24 because of its range. The two will whiff as the opponent is still in the air, but the 4 will catch them right as they land.

It works as an anti-air by mistake, if that makes any sense lol. Meaning that you're not going to use it as a reaction to their jump-in (especially when Lao has much better options), but because the move is so slow, it can catch Cage players jumping in AFTER you have committed to it.

A lot of Cage players like to use a "safe jump" where they jump in from a distance that lands them just outside of your anti-air range (like spin and standing 2). B2F2 is good at accidentally catching them. In truth though, as a reaction to a "safe" jump in, you want to use 24 because of its range. The two will whiff as the opponent is still in the air, but the 4 will catch them right as they land.
sweet, i'm going to start using it for that then, lmao b1f1exspin combos ftw

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
coolwhip
DJ L Toro
Since it is only you two posting here, would you mind helping me? This is sort of off topic, but if I ask somewhere else I can already feel the trolls incoming.
I want to know how to "Bird Lao" better. My dive kicks are always blocked, and My teleports are always punished. Is it more a matter of spacing the dice kick to wiff right next to them, or are there some guaranteed setups for it?
Also, I feel like I have no clue what to use meter for. I usually just use breakers, as all of his ex moves seem very limited in their use. Do you guys have any tips on when to use meter? Any 1 bar combos that raise his damage a lot?

And lastly f3, what do you guys do after a hit f3 and a blocked f3?

coolwhip

Noob
coolwhip
DJ L Toro
Since it is only you two posting here, would you mind helping me? This is sort of off topic, but if I ask somewhere else I can already feel the trolls incoming.
I want to know how to "Bird Lao" better. My dive kicks are always blocked, and My teleports are always punished. Is it more a matter of spacing the dice kick to wiff right next to them, or are there some guaranteed setups for it?
Also, I feel like I have no clue what to use meter for. I usually just use breakers, as all of his ex moves seem very limited in their use. Do you guys have any tips on when to use meter? Any 1 bar combos that raise his damage a lot?

And lastly f3, what do you guys do after a hit f3 and a blocked f3?

Okay, as far as Bird Lao goes, it was one of the biggest debated topics pre Injustice. No two people will fully agree on it, and it doesn't help that there aren't many videos of top players using that strategy. What IS known however, is that bird lao means jump kick/divekick over your opponent. It has nothing to do with teleports, and it's not about naked dive kicks. When you're close to your opponent, jump and quickly input a jump kick into a dive kick (the way you would in Kung Lao's bread and butter combos). Don't confuse that with naked dive kicks. The difference between the two is that a blocked naked dive kick is full combo punishable. However, JK into DK is different: Your opponent will block the Jump kick but the dive kick will whiff over him, putting you at good distance to use Kung Lao's 24 (or do anything else). If the opponent gets hit with the jump kick though, the dive kick will hit as well, and you can convert into full combo by doing F3 into spin.

It's a fairly risk free method in some match-ups that can be used to open your opponent up for other things. Meaning once he's worried about your "bird Lao," you can start doing other stuff. However, this is not a bullet proof method. It helps in some of Lao's bad match-ups (especially against Sonya and Cage), but it can be dealt with: for example, Mileena can punish it with a roll on reaction, Kabal can punish it with EX dash, etc... And, if you do it from a distance far enough to where your opponent can react to it, they can actually uppercut you as you're crossing them over (if the character has a fast uppercut). Watch the winners finals at UFGT between Dizzy and Forever King to see this...

As far as whiffing dive kicks go, if they're getting blocked, it's a matter of spacing. Practice instant air dive kicks to where you can land in front of your opponent, as opposed to having your dive kick blocked. Generally, you don't want to land right next to him, but instead, land at dash distance (where you can dash in and do 21, 24 or whatever). As far as guaranteed set ups, there's nothing "guaranteed" per se, but it's always safest to use it after a knockdown as your opponent can't block and punish. If you finish a combo with 24 grab and get the plumflower just frame, dive kick immediately to stay on your opponent after the knockdown. You can also use it after a breaker if you were the one getting combo'd.

Kung Lao builds meter pretty easily. Offensively, you generally don't want to waste breaker but there are always exceptions. There's always a use for ex teleport here and there (but don't abuse it as there are many ways to deal with it). Generally, you want to use it after a knockdown or, most effectively, in the corner (as your opponent can't run away from it). I also occasionally use it after 2121. I just cancel into an ex teleport to make the string safe, and it's not such a bad idea given that the string itself builds a lot of meter.

The other use for meter offensively is during Kung Lao's bread and butter 1 bar combo: 112 spin (or 21 spin) jump kick/dive kick, 2~ex hat, dive kick (or two standing 1's) into 24 grab.

The combo does over 40% but you generally only want to use it when it kills your opponent or if you want to make up a life lead. Otherwise, you can stick to Lao's no meter BNB combos.

After a blocked F3, don't do anything. You're at negative frames (-4). Just block. On hit however, you're neutral. I usually go for 21 or 24, or use the occasional grab to keep your opponent guessing. Keep in mind though, you're only neutral after a F3 on hit, and Lao's standing 1 and standing 2 can be poked out of.

you pretty much use common sense on what matchups or when or how much to use the jumpkick divekick.

For example: jumpkick divekick will get you out of pretty much all these reptile forceball setups during neutral.

cage, jax and sonya matchup is where you go full birdshit mode.

Mileena matchup you don't even need to use it because youre supposed to stay grounded and lame her out, get the life lead and she will usually fuck herself over. But keep this in mind, if mileenas wait for you to jumpkick divekick so they can roll it on reaction, it also means they are not whiffing/throwing out d4's and d'3s. so they are respecting one option allowing another option to open up.

if you have a significant lifelead (40% or more) I usually do a lot more jumpkick divekicks because they will have to commit themselves to a lot more offense and wont be just sitting there for the 90 seconds to run out. when they start to chase you is when the 21/24/2121 stuff is starting to get really cheap and they will make more mistakes if they have to chase you, 24 will pretty much whiff punish anything that is whiff punishable and it starts at 7 frames so there is almost nothing he can't punish on block if it is punishable on block.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I know no one plays MK anymore and I'm not sure if this is new or not but I think I've found a way to constantly get the block advantage off of EX Dive kick. It seems to work every time if you simply link it to a deep jump kick.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I know no one plays MK anymore and I'm not sure if this is new or not but I think I've found a way to constantly get the block advantage off of EX Dive kick. It seems to work every time if you simply link it to a deep jump kick.
yeah but ur already off advantage on deep jumpkick...and how do u cancel a deep jump kick? i thought u can't cancel one.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
yeah but ur already off advantage on deep jumpkick...and how do u cancel a deep jump kick? i thought u can't cancel one.
I said deep jump kick but its a little higher than a typical one, lower than a head kick but not too low. I guess that would be a mid Jump kick.

Maybe so but isn't the advantage of EX Dive kick pretty rediculous? Not to mention the chip damage. Unfortunately you have to commit to it, and i've yet to work out a consistent way to combo off of it if it hits.

Axel_Redd

I said deep jump kick but its a little higher than a typical one, lower than a head kick but not too low.

Maybe so but isn't the advantage of EX Dive kick pretty rediculous? Not to mention the chip damage.
so like, where exactly do u hit them? in the shin? and then u do ex divekick? if this is legit, then kunglao just got a whole lot more awesome.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
so like, where exactly do u hit them? in the shin? and then u do ex divekick? if this is legit, then kunglao just got a whole lot more awesome.
Its a little tricky don't get me wrong, you gotta hit it right at their knee if they're stand blocking. Too high and you'll get the punishable Dive kick, too low and the dive kick won't come out at all.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Video for reference, sorry about the shit quality all I had to record it was my Ipod. Still getting the spacing down but yeah if you can get it it works.

Axel_Redd

kung lao has yet another way to get in and pressure u whenever he wants, good stuff :D

Axel_Redd

i need to know tho, what is the advantage/ disadvatage of a normal jk on block?