What's new

Interested in learning Cage, where to start?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Any good video guides, lists of combos, Cage Discussion threads, things like that? Not really sure where to start.

leek

Noob
Any good video guides, lists of combos, Cage Discussion threads, things like that? Not really sure where to start.
Strings to use most often: 11, 21, F33B3(or just F33), F32(follow up with D1 for frame trap)

Midscreen combos:

F4 dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch
F4 dash 11 dash 11 dash 44~nutpunch(only if your still getting used to dash 2's)
B3 dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch(can be used as anti-air)
21F2 full dash F3~nutpunch

Corner:

F4 2,2,2,2,2 114~nutpunch
21F2 2,2,2,2,2 114~nutpunch

Ex-forceball blockstring trap: F33~ex-forceball, can use F33B3 but the timing is a lot more strict, although you build another bar of meter.

Anti air combos:

1(anti air) dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch
D1(anti air) F3~nutpunch

Jump-in kick combos (not very useful but it's a good thing to know, IMO.)

Deep jik dash 44~nutpunch
deep jik dash F3~nutpunch
deep jik dash 1/2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch(VERY strict timing, not worth it, use just the first two if needed)

tourney gameplay:

very good video between foxy and usedforglue, points out use of nut punching under projectiles, it's used to build meter and keep it even. Remember to not use F32~nutpunch anymore, it doesn't truly combo together and the opponent can block.

as for other videos, there's JOP from evo, where most people play like his style now. Watch some footage of that here:

Skip to 17:50 for vs between him and chris G(reptile)

Punishing blocked teleports(cannonball):

B3 11 dash 11 dash 44~nutpunch
B3 2dash 2 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch

Wake-up options: Nutpunch, Shadow Kick and Flip kick.

Flip kick is often your best bet, sort of hard to punish if you don't know how to. Shadow kick on block is punished by most everything, and nutpunch is really only up close and if you can tell it will hit.

Using EX-shadow kick: almost never. Only if you need to take the life lead towards the end, to push them into the corner(their back is already close to it, otherwise the distance ends up being fullscreen because of the knockback), or to win a round. Don't randomly throw it out there, it WILL be punished.

Using EX-nutpunch: One of my favorite moves in the game, it has invincibility for some frames and works as an anti-poke maneuver. Does 2 percent more damage than normal nutpunch, has the same frame advantage(as far as I can tell). You can use it to escape pressure because of it's invincibility and get guaranteed 6% chip from F33B3.

air to air(win a jump in punch): dash 1 dash 2 dash 44~nutpunch

anything else, please ask :)

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Air to Air (win with a Neutral Jump Punch)
F+4, F+4 2, 44, nutpunch.

This is a little bit advanced but can deal a good amount of damage.

Metallic got pretty much everything.
Sometimes people will block high, in this case you would want to use the 2, 1, B4. This will normally cause people to maybe jump or use a special in which you can punish.

Also with JOP's playstyle, try not to shadow kick as much.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Since the most important stuff has been covered, I guess some personal words of advice from my own experiences as a Cage mainer (albeit a mediocre one at that), is to not get discouraged with Cage if you lose a lot at first. It took me quite a number of games, mostly losses, before I started to get a proper feel for Cage. Some of the most important tools of his to make use of are without a doubt d1, d3 and standing 1. I feel Cage is a character that really lives or dies based your ability to make very good reads to interrupt your opponents pressure and continue your own. When I first started playing, I was throwing out, and still do out of habit, strings like f3,b3 and 21 f2 without establishing any type of advantage or whatnot. You really need to get into the idea of working on a strong footsie game with Cage. The Foxy Grandpa videos are an excellent example of this, and I personally learned a lot from them. Cage is an insanely fun character despite his shortcomings, ie a non-existent game outside your face, but I think this all or nothing play style is what makes him so fun. Nothing really compares to winning a round by basically making someone hold block because they are afraid to touch a button.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Oh shit, I'm a little late.

Thanks a lot guys, gonna read through this in a bit when I take him into training mode.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Oh shit, I'm a little late.

Thanks a lot guys, gonna read through this in a bit when I take him into training mode.

Just spent like 2 hours in training mode getting a feel for him, I'm guessing after the ex fireball frame trap there's a lot of ways to pressure but It seems some are better than others. Like you'll end the ex fireball and go into another string but cut it short then do a down 1 to catch jump attempts or to keep them still. f3 after ex ball into d1 seems to work fine, not sure if that's the ideal setup but it was working well on my dummy set on jump.

I'll try him out tomorrow sometime before I dive into Skyrim. You guys might as well compile all this info, really helpful. Covered all of the basics of Cage imo. Now I just need to learn matchups and start playing with him.

leek

Noob
Just spent like 2 hours in training mode getting a feel for him, I'm guessing after the ex fireball frame trap there's a lot of ways to pressure but It seems some are better than others. Like you'll end the ex fireball and go into another string but cut it short then do a down 1 to catch jump attempts or to keep them still. f3 after ex ball into d1 seems to work fine, not sure if that's the ideal setup but it was working well on my dummy set on jump.

I'll try him out tomorrow sometime before I dive into Skyrim. You guys might as well compile all this info, really helpful. Covered all of the basics of Cage imo. Now I just need to learn matchups and start playing with him.
Maybe the Cage mod can copy paste our info into a guide for cage. :D

dunno who it is though..lol. Also, for EX-forceball, if you need to close out a match you can follow up with another F33~ex-forceball, but D1 can be good. Only thing is Ex-forceball is +5 on block, so you can pretty much follow up with anything that's 11 frames or less(if the input is down to the frame.. 11, 21~d1/d3 or F33 are all good choices).

only reason you have to poke after 21 is because it's -2 on block.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
To complete

For block strings:
You can go for 2 xx Throw
2,1 xx 2,1,F+2
F3,3, flip kick (midscreen) for 6% chip and about half a bar - only use it if you wanna finish your opponent
f3,3, b3, flip kick (corner) for 8% chip - same as above
F3, 2, dash, d3, into another block string.
F3 xx d1, throw

if you're getting poked out then you should back out a little or try to crossup your opponent. Do not forget D1 and D3. And never EVER become predictable.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
any good b2 setups?
It really only has limited application in the corner, and it's really only worth trying once throughout a match. If you get a 22222 114 nut punch you can attempt a B2 and go for 21F2 22222 114 nut punch.

shura30

Shura
i thought in the lab i could do something like

b2 backdash b3 to stuff any pokeback attempt into reset

maybe after a jk?(kick should have more blockstun)

stupid question: is the flipkick 100% safe on block?

Interested in learning Cage, where to start?
Sure,
here an very advance tech called "frametraps" its VERY difficult 2 do, make sure u practice this A LOT!
:r:bk
:r:fk
if ur opponent block any of this attacks, feel free 2 mash any button u like, after that!
u can mash an uppercut as well, it looks cooler!

good luck!

B W1zZ

Noob
Sure,
here an very andvance tech from a pro, an advance tech called "frametraps" its VERY difficult 2 do, make sure u practice this A LOT!
:r:bk > mash any button u like
:r:fk > same here
u can mash an uppercut as well, it looks cooler!

good luck!
This is in no way useful to someone legitimately trying to learn the character, and calling that pro is a joke. If you don't have anything useful to contribute or discuss other than troll comments maybe you shouldn't be posting in this thread at all.

leek

Noob
stupid question: is the flipkick 100% safe on block?
It's not stupid, it's one of his less(or rather never) used moves. You can punish with a neutral jump punch on block, I believe. Don't hold me to it, if it doesn't work though.

But I know it's punishable by something. It's still a good wakeup, nonetheless.

and for B2 you can also stop about 3 2's into a corner combo and begin charging, it holds a bit more success from what I've seen, than finishing the combo with nut punch.

shura30

Shura
thx, been working on combos only (took about 8 minutes to get them all down)
i still miss a proper strategy
didn't think of that jugge/d2 situation

Georgie

Ex Shadow Kick
It's not stupid, it's one of his less(or rather never) used moves. You can punish with a neutral jump punch on block, I believe. Don't hold me to it, if it doesn't work though.

But I know it's punishable by something. It's still a good wakeup, nonetheless.

and for B2 you can also stop about 3 2's into a corner combo and begin charging, it holds a bit more success from what I've seen, than finishing the combo with nut punch.
Flipkick can also be punished with a fast d1 or d4.

You can also stuff jump attempts with standing 1, but if the opponent isn't standing, it will whiff. I usually throw in a 11 sometimes if the opponent is standing or I predict a jump coming. Most good players will be ducking against Cage though at all times, but you can condition them to stand up. Also, not sure about the frame data on D4 but it seems to be a pretty decent move to use during pressure (but not all the time). I also use it a lot to get in on heavy projectile characters like Mileena or Kitana because the hitbox can duck under their projectiles. I try not to use it against Kabal though because ground saw can blow you up.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I think one of the most advanced techniques you can really do is using a special (Nut punch,Shadow Kick, or Flip Kick) successfully on anticipation.

You'll be surprised on how many attacks you can cancel/dodge with a very well timed nut punch.

EN Nutpunch is a great tool. You can use it as an anti-air, an interrupt for non-jailing strings, punishing pokes, and stop incoming pressure.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
any good b2 setups?
B2 cancel into B3, if they do anything other than dash back or block they get launched. Kitana's D1 can beat it because of the range though. Works well in the corner but obviously you can only use it after landing a nutpunch