What's new

Tech Instant-Air Teleport Punch Whiffing Against Standing Opponents

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!

Just to note, this tech isn't anything new as it's been done by Slips during last year's Frosty Faustings tournament. However, I felt it could use some attention from both old and new Scorpion players, so I decided to make a video. Do note, this is highly advanced tech to learn.

It's a "just-frame" kind of thing. See, if you perform a neutral jump and teleport at the precise moment you leave the ground, your teleport will actually whiff against even a standing opponent who is blocking, and you will get great advantage. I don't know if this can be done off a diagonal jump, as I've never nailed this with such a movement yet.

If you mistime an instant-air teleport by one frame, then even if you've input the move quickly you will teleport right into them and, more than likely, eat a full combo. If you mistime the inputs while performing it at a fast motion, you'll get a neutral jumpkick and then a teleport, which leads to the previous scenario.

You could also try enhancing the teleport on the off-chance that you feel you won't get the motion right, but remember that it can be ducked and even punished by a full combo, as the move does lack armor.

Consider this yet another risky option for the undead ninja's arsenal. I figure that since he's unsafe already, may as well go for the gusto.

As a side-note, if you nail a knockdown against your opponent, you can whiff a teleport to close the distance and get a great offense going...IF they don't Wake-Up with a special attack, that is. I'd probably try crossing them up on knockdown in an attempt to confuse their inputs.

With enough practice, this may become consistent tech. I've nailed this a few times myself and got great reward for it. What do you all think? Could this be a worthwhile option? Discuss amongst yourselves.

RedRaptor10 K.O.E_18 STRYKIE Booty Slaya Scoot Magee InFlames Enenra

Yeah old news, but it's a good reminder, as I completely forgot that I could incorporate this into my game.

thanks for refresher.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
In essence doing an instant teleport straight up is kinda like electrics in Tekken, it's a matter of finding the sweet spot for the input, the real problem is disciplining yourself on when to try it as it's arguably his best footsie tool. But on the flipside you have to consider where it's worth checking with a legit teleport given you'll either get a free 50/50 or AA into vortex setup.

Also yes it can be done from a diagonal jump, the properties of the teleport or determined by how close you are to the ground, it's not like a super secret buffer or anything. :)

ryublaze

Noob
I've been trying to iaT on reaction to projectiles cuz even if i do mistime it it'll hit them while they thow a projectile.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
In essence doing an instant teleport straight up is kinda like electrics in Tekken, it's a matter of finding the sweet spot for the input, the real problem is disciplining yourself on when to try it as it's arguably his best footsie tool. But on the flipside you have to consider where it's worth checking with a legit teleport given you'll either get a free 50/50 or AA in vortex setup.

Also yes it can be done from a diagonal jump, the properties of the teleport or determined by how close you are to the ground, it's not like a super secret buffer or anything. :)
what u mean by electrics in tekken? o-0

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I used to be able to do this when I was playing this game heavily back before I went back to college. This works nicely if you can do this, and learn times where it is appropriate. Now I don't try it as much cause suck :( . Good shit though Blake.

STRYKIE

what u mean by electrics in tekken? o-0
There's a small window during the inputs on some of the Mishima's moves (generally Wind God Fist) that'll turn it electric and put you at advantage on block instead of being punishable. The inputs between D/F and 2 needs to be almost literally simultaneous though.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
There's a small window during the inputs on some of the Mishima's moves (generally Wind God Fist) that'll turn it electric and put you at advantage on block instead of being punishable. The inputs between D/F and 2 needs to be almost literally simultaneous though.
i' ve got a lot to learn about tekken....-.-

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
If only it weren't that hard to do on a consistent basis this tech would rank up Scorpion in the tiers. I never bothered with this online because it's akin to trying to lick your elbows: not worth the trouble.

In essence doing an instant teleport straight up is kinda like electrics in Tekken, it's a matter of finding the sweet spot for the input, the real problem is disciplining yourself on when to try it as it's arguably his best footsie tool. But on the flipside you have to consider where it's worth checking with a legit teleport given you'll either get a free 50/50 or AA into vortex setup.

That's a perfect comparison! I do it exactly how a EWGF is performed. Tap U, then press d+b+3 together. I only use it in casuals unfortunately because it's too much of a risk online.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I do like this. I've gotten it up to about 3 or 4/5 times when my hands are cooperating, very useful for a character with pokes as bad as Scorpion's.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I messed around with this a lot but ultimately found it useless. I can see it working decently online, but offline in the end players who get used to seeing itp will just check you with a d1 or d4. So even if you get it down your still forced to block as soon as you land. It also doesn't help that if they are dash blocking backwards it will always be blocked. I also think the feasibility of this is character dependent. It seems easier on smaller hitbox characters like Reptile and Mileena but bigger hitbox characters the window is even tighter. I think it also might be different for when a character is just standing and when a character is stand blocking. Meaning if a character is stand blocking it might increase their hitbox making the window tighter as well. Just theories tho.

If Scorpion didn't have good anti-zoning tools this would be a must. But the tools he has (ex spear, hellfire) you shouldn't be getting zoned that hard anyway. His main problem, as always, is his lack of good footsie tools.

Ive always wondered, if they had to make scorpions pokes with no advantage on hit why not make them faster? I definitely think scorpion should get an 8 frame d4 like subzero, thats the least they could do if he doesnt even get advantage off of a d4 which is stupid.

this would help his footsies as well as his takedown would be 8 frames as well if you do d4 takedown.

STRYKIE

Ive always wondered, if they had to make scorpions pokes with no advantage on hit why not make them faster? I definitely think scorpion should get an 8 frame d4 like subzero, thats the least they could do if he doesnt even get advantage off of a d4 which is stupid.

this would help his footsies as well as his takedown would be 8 frames as well if you do d4 takedown.
I don't think NRS gave a shit about helping Scorp's poking arsenal sadly, honestly the only reason why he doesn't have advantage on pokes was to prevent any potentially guaranteed means of a whopping 7% hellfire which was neutral on hit to begin with. Idiots.

I'd be satisfied with a +5 D4 and +3 D3 or thereabouts.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I messed around with this a lot but ultimately found it useless. I can see it working decently online, but offline in the end players who get used to seeing itp will just check you with a d1 or d4. So even if you get it down your still forced to block as soon as you land. It also doesn't help that if they are dash blocking backwards it will always be blocked. I also think the feasibility of this is character dependent. It seems easier on smaller hitbox characters like Reptile and Mileena but bigger hitbox characters the window is even tighter. I think it also might be different for when a character is just standing and when a character is stand blocking. Meaning if a character is stand blocking it might increase their hitbox making the window tighter as well. Just theories tho.

If Scorpion didn't have good anti-zoning tools this would be a must. But the tools he has (ex spear, hellfire) you shouldn't be getting zoned that hard anyway. His main problem, as always, is his lack of good footsie tools.
This is all true, I actually don't use it because of this and the risk factor of messing up and eating a combo.

The best way to whiff the teleport imo is to empty jump and do it before landing. This way if you think they will anticipate the teleport you can land and hellfire. This will provoke jumping which is good for scorpion in some cases.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
This is all true, I actually don't use it because of this and the risk factor of messing up and eating a combo.

The best way to whiff the teleport imo is to empty jump and do it before landing. This way if you think they will anticipate the teleport you can land and hellfire. This will provoke jumping which is good for scorpion in some cases.
I actually use it exclusively in this manner. The empty jump mix-up is okay, and It can set up djk as well if you have them conditioned to not AA you.

Going off memory here but I think scorps fastest starter is 10 frames. Couldn't you whiff punish a good deal of whiffs by ia tele and punishing with meter less full combos?

I don't think NRS gave a shit about helping Scorp's poking arsenal sadly, honestly the only reason why he doesn't have advantage on pokes was to prevent any potentially guaranteed means of a whopping 7% hellfire which was neutral on hit to begin with. Idiots.

I'd be satisfied with a +5 D4 and +3 D3 or thereabouts.
hellfire needs to be 9% and be faster and have slightly better recovery. some characters can see the hellfire on wake up and blow scorpion up for it full combo. I think an 8 frame d4 isnt ridiculous at all. and I agree with the advantages on his pokes. if he is at +4 he can guarantee a 334, which is pretty good. and another buff would have to be that his armor is actually consistent. his standing 1 should be 9 frames as well. f3 is fast enough so people cant fuzzy guard it. if scorpion had these tools he would only move up a few chaacters in the tier list, so hypothetically speaking if nrs would make another patch this should be one of the things included.