What's new

Question Instant Air Daggers

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I've decided to make it my mission to improve at instant air daggers so I've been practicing for an hour every night. I spend about a half hour in practice just trying to hit their head, then spend another half hour going through ladder trying to win by zoning with instant air dagger and attacks that come from advantage on hit on a grounded opponent, and juggles that come from catching an air born opponent. So far I find that I am really improving fast, however I'm 50/50 at best.

I watch the inputs on the screen to make sure they are coming out accurately and since the input is always the same, yet the dagger doesn't come out right, I wonder what they issue is. Could it be an input bug issue? If so is it even possible to get 100% execution of instant instant air daggers?

So I was thinking, since its my mission to get as close to perfect with this, that I would just share my journey, and use this as a place where we could talk about anything related to this very specific aspect of Skarlet. Other threads exist on execution, but I don't know that we have a specific instant air dagger thread.

A few questions to consider:
1. What are your thoughts on instant air daggers? 2. Is it possible to be 100% accurate with your execution? 3. How many in a row can you get? 4. What tricks do you use that may be useful to others?

My responses:
1. They allow her to fire them at the same speed as ground canceled dagger, but they give you the chance to block right away when landing. This makes them far superior to ground canceled daggers. With this as the primary rapid fire tool, they actually open up opportunities to do normal canceled daggers and simple throwing of both dagger on the ground. Not using this actually hurts Skarlet in that if the opponent sees she just throws ground dagger cancels, most characters have a way to punish her harder in a trade either by projectile trade or teleporting.

2. I'm not sure if it is possible. Somedays it feels like I'm getting there. Sometimes I feel strongly that my input hasn't changed yet i get a njp instead. Is anyone out there approaching perfect with this?

3. How many out of 10 do people get? Man, I'd love to be at 9 out of 10 in actual matches (Thats so far away for me right now though) I think I'm about 50/50.

4. I've tried a few different techniques that I could share. First off, people should know that I play a hitbox, now I have the official one, I used to have a home made one that had the larger buttons. Air daggers are much easier on a hitbox IMO, but its not an instant fix.

So these are things I've tried, and am trying:

1. Simply inputing u, df, 1. Sounds simple enough, but the timing is actually pretty strict to get the lowest to the ground dagger to come out. When missed a njp comes out, and against a lot of the cast, even though you might be full screen away, you can still get hurt. I find timing wise, that the input speed is pretty similar to the speed of doing an u3 dagger toss, so in practice, to get a rhythm sometimes I do a couple u3 daggers, then instant air daggers. If I get a couple njp in a row on accident, I slow down, do an u3 dagger, then back to instant airs. This seems to help.

2. Double tapping. I played SF4 before Mk9 came out and while I was nowhere near pro, I was starting to study some advanced stuff thats useful in SF for execution. Using my middle finger to tap the 1 button, then immediately sliding it off the button and pressing it again with the pointer finger grants you two presses of the button, and when done right there is only 1 frame between the inputs. My idea here is that if I didn't time the first press perfect, the second press is still within the window needed to hit the standing opponent. If the first input isn't just framed, say its early by a frame by accident, the second input would come out on the second frame of opportunity. If the first button press happened 2 frames early, then the second press would hit the just frame etc. When I'm in a rhythm, this has been my most consistent technique on my new hitbox, although the tiny buttons are tiny, not much space to smash in a double tap.

3. Negative edge pressing. After one instant air dagger, I can hold the 1 after the air dagger toss, then land, and input up, down to forward then release the 1 and press it again quickly. This should essentially work the same as the double tap. The negative edge causes the same effect as a button press for the special (although it doesn't appear in the inputs in practice) so you get two presses one frame apart, if timed perfectly. This can be repeated each time you throw one, hold the button, then land and repeat.

4. Using a ground dagger, canceled with back, then up back, then immediately inputting down forward, 1. When I throw the ground dagger, I hold 1, then do the jump back cancel and then down to forward, then quickly release 1 and press it again granting a double tap, the first tap is caused by negative edge, the second is the press of the button. With this method you actually get two daggers tossed, the ground dagger, and the instant air dagger, and you get the ability to block right away once you land. Best of both worlds. However, its very hard. I was about 3 out of 10 with landing these on my old hitbox with the large buttons, however, I have yet to do it ONCE on my new hitbox!!! I know it can be done, and it can be consistent, its frustrating moving back a step and not being able to do it on my new controller, but it will come back!

can't you just input dfu1? Just buffer the input and then press jump + command.

For example in sf4 when I want to do instant air teleports as dhalsim, I input f,d,f+u+(teleport command) and it comes out as instant every time... I don't see why this wouldn't work in MK9. But then again I don't play any characters with instant air moves and I don't have my hitbox to test. So I guess this post is more me asking questions than it is actually saying anything useful.

ryublaze

Noob
I find it easier to jump back and do the iaD (u+b,df1). I used to be able to land 4-5 in a row and my max was maybe 6 or 7. Skarlet's iaD is I believe the 2nd hardest instant air to input (Scorpion's iaT being the hardest).

Johnny2d

can't you just input dfu1? Just buffer the input and then press jump + command.

For example in sf4 when I want to do instant air teleports as dhalsim, I input f,d,f+u+(teleport command) and it comes out as instant every time... I don't see why this wouldn't work in MK9. But then again I don't play any characters with instant air moves and I don't have my hitbox to test. So I guess this post is more me asking questions than it is actually saying anything useful.
I've tried it but haven't gotten it to work. I did tiger knee motion with akuma's instant air fireballs in Sf4 so I know what it is and what it feels like, but haven't seen the same result in MK.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
tiger knee doesn't seem to work. just keep hitting that udf1, it should get smoother with time. I just tried it and can get it to hit the head pretty consistently, but I use a hitbox, so ymmv.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I can do it 10 of 10 times when im not going back to back. its weird...when i go back to back it is so hard. when I do random iad its easy

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lets make this a day practice, every hour in the evening until all of us master iaD
I actually can get 3 in a row, and hardly miss the first one, if it comes out, it must be on the tip of their head, but i want to improve my fire rate of iaD as well

Johnny2d

Lets make this a day practice, every hour in the evening until all of us master iaD
I actually can get 3 in a row, and hardly miss the first one, if it comes out, it must be on the tip of their head, but i want to improve my fire rate of iaD as well
This is what I've done everyday this week. No matter how busy I've been, before my day is over I get an air dagger hour.

I will get better!

Johnny2d

I can do it 10 of 10 times when im not going back to back. its weird...when i go back to back it is so hard. when I do random iad its easy
I wonder why that is. Thats why I asked about input bug issues. Can anyone do them 10 in a row? I know we had talked about this forever ago and people were working towards it, any success?

I'm making this my personal mission, 10 in row whenever I choose.

Johnny2d

Any thoughts on double tapping in mk, I haven't seen a use for it aside from tapping 1 then 2 quickly for instant low to the ground NJP like in reptile's combos, but it does make some sense to employ this in instant air daggers. Even with a missed just frame the second tap should get the dagger out low enough to hit even naked mileena.

The other time I think it might be useful is after an empty red dash. Getting the next attack out after the dash the absolute earliest is a 60th of a second window. For inputs that require that level of execution SF players use double taps and plinking. As far as I know plinking doesn't exist in MK but double taps get you two inputs, 1 frame apart.

Does anyone else see an opportunity for double tapping to play a role in execution? Or do people think they are getting the 60th of a second correct consistently without it (I'm talking about the air daggers and empty dashing)?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
In street fighter, the frames of moves are much faster and links are based upon the frame overlap in hitstun and frame startup of the move following.

Example: Honda standing HP is 10 frames. That is as fast as skarlets standing 1. His Light kick is 5 frames. It is very important for plinking (aka mashing) to be a part of your game in SF because of how fast the frames are.

MK just doesnt work the same way. I have messed with it but have not had any success applying it in MK.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I found it easier if you jump back as well, circling trough the others directionals are more faster, but i can also input UD really fast
How fast can you guys input UD before F?

Johnny2d

I found it easier if you jump back as well, circling trough the others directionals are more faster, but i can also input UD really fast
How fast can you guys input UD before F?
Instantly on a hitbox, this is part of my issue I think.

On a controller its just a matter of getting fast enough, on a hitbox its entirely possible to be to fast. I go between too slow then too fast. Its like when I tried playing golf (that one time) I could either hit dirt or hit air but never just the ball. I'm in a weird place of not knowing my sweet spot. I will get this though, and I will post my video of me doing 10 in a row at will, in actual matches... it will happen, not overnight, but I will get there.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think that because we always try to hit this shit fast as we can, its also because we can't hit it frequently, i noticed today that there is some sort of rhythm, that if you don't rush it you'll be able to hit as much daggers as you can (just hit 5 today)

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I can hit sindels and kitanas perfectly find. The fact that I play kitana helps but when I try to do more than 3 IAD it always messes up.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Okay, after 2 hours straigh of iaD and EDC to F2 and more research i've got some suggestions that may help, still practice required but this way seems to be more easy to land at least a few % more than we are doing already.

This is how i'm trying iaD right now
- Hit the dagger button right after you flick"up" before you press df
- Hit the dagger button at the moment you tilt "down"
- Don't hit the dagger button after you input "udf", you will miss the "Sweet spot" as THTB would say, and the dagger will whiff.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
My experience is the same. The heat of the battle

I got eleven iaD in a row at one point but have since lost the dexterity out of laziness.