What's new

Input methods in NRS games (alternate and normal controls)

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
And for the record I don't have any issues with the command grab inputs. It's really just the half circles in alternate controls that are a bit too crazy.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Half circles are the Devil...

Especially when they are confused for quarter circles going in the same direction, with the same button input.

Ugh. My head hurts. .. Why would you even program that way? Even the software doesn't know what's going on.

Hiyomoto

Noob
What would you do if you wanted to slightly move back very short distances? when spacing vs other players its good to move in and out of their range. Tapping a direction is a normal thing.
Are you on pad? Cause for me, a slight tap on back makes my character walk back slightly. I've ne in footsies so I'm saying if you want to walk back slightly then tap the button slightly and precisely.

Scoot Magee

Are you on pad? Cause for me, a slight tap on back makes my character walk back slightly. I've ne in footsies so I'm saying if you want to walk back slightly then tap the button slightly and precisely.
No, on stick. If I tap back once I'm fine, if I need to nudge back a little further I can get a back dash if I hit it again. As I said before, there's way too much time in between the 2 back inputs. It needs to be more strict.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Dont use alternate controls (esp on stick). The leniency on alt controls is really strict.

Use standard controls and try it on pad. BF on pad is super easy. BF on stick... yikes.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
What I hate about NRs command throws are those awkward dbf motions, by themselves easy but comboing into them is a pain.
Was about to complain about these. The dbf design is ergonomically poor. No matter how much you practice it or how well you execute, it will always feel a little bit off, and that feeling will only be compounded when it is special cancelled off of normals or strings, or used in combos requiring tight execution.

If NRS wanted to resolve this input and make it more ergonomically sound, while also not compromising on the idea that CG inputs are supposed to be a little more difficult to execute than standard specials, there is a simple but potentially counterintuitive solition:

Change DBF to FDBF.

I discovered this accidentally while hopping back and forth between MKX and Blazblue. Moving from forward all the way to back allows for a nice comfortable roll before moving across the pad for the forward input, while trying to roll from down to back feels stunted.

TonyFatFingers

I usually lose, but at least it's flashy.
Has anyone else had issues with any dd# move coming out while trying to just hold down?

I've been playing flash and I found in training the other night that if you were to do d, db, d, df, d2 (I know it sounds confusing) it will register as multiple downs and Running Man Stance will come out.

I know the easy answer is just "don't do that" but I play on a fight stick with a square gate so sometimes my stick slides along the bottom of the gate when trying to do something like d12xxdf1. I'm trying to just force myself to not let the stick slide like that but I was just wondering if anyone else is dealing with that / dealt with that and has any tips to avoid it.

I personally prefer to play on arcade stick and yes i tried playing on pad but it's a no go for me only because i was getting wake up attacks that i did not intend to do, so frustrating. I might have to try pad again (only when am lazy) and turn off Input shortcuts to see if there is any difference. But for me its arcade stick all day my layout is
L M MB
H T FS
(meter burn and flip stance lets me do super more comfortably street fighter style)

Alternative inputs on (awesome for stick users not so good for pad)
Release check 'NEGATIVE EDGE' (off a must for me)
Button short cuts on (it keeps it a 6 button fighter) i do the grabs 1+3 etc
Input shortcuts (its on at the moment but i will turn it off to see how it feels) most likely it will be off to

so yeah people the game is design in a way to let you feel comfy in your play style so just practice your execution and don't complain about command grabs being hard find what works best for you etc

I have the same dilemma as I (try to) play cyborg on stick and trying to do instant air fireball on alternate is fucking hard since the fireball becomes a half circle.

The thing that really gets me right now are the accidental back dashes. There's just way too much time in between back inputs. It should only work for two fast taps.
This too

Yeah wish batmans batrang was a fireball and not a half circle

Play on a fight stick default lay out and sometimes these simple controls get me

I can do training mode with pad in game tho nope dont get how anyone plays any fighter on a controller fight pads too

Must be old mk1 sf2 3rd strike arcade days for me

I turn it all off but the throw and interactable short cuts

haketh

Noob
Dont use alternate controls (esp on stick). The leniency on alt controls is really strict.

Use standard controls and try it on pad. BF on pad is super easy. BF on stick... yikes.
People do BF in KI on stick fine, it's just how NRS games read & hold inputs. Even with Negative Edge off it still affects inputs, especially when coming out of block and trying to dolike a F2 or something.

People do BF in KI on stick fine, it's just how NRS games read & hold inputs. Even with Negative Edge off it still affects inputs, especially when coming out of block and trying to dolike a F2 or something.
In Killer Instinct you can do half circle forwar and it will register it as BF, no need to switch inputs like NRS games.

Justfitz

Noob
Thank god someone made a post about this..!

MKX didn't have nearly the amount of input problems this game does since it used a block button, but now with the back to block system the accidental inputs are ridiculously frequent! Especially for a stick player!

And I'm sorry, but I should not have to play on pad simply because the games controls are so awkward..

Alternate controls are a band aid, NOT a permanent solution. Even coupled with input shortcuts, it still doesn't work out well..

Hell I'm even getting occasional accidental back dashes when trying to react to a pressure strings in neutral like some of you stated (This may be a result of the lack of a forced block range for attacks, lIke what most games with a back to block system have). Right now the game just feels clunky compared to MKX. I really wish they'd let us tailor the control options on a character specific, move by move basis. Like whether you want alternative or native controls for certain specials.

In general tho, this game has to make more accommodations for stick players regarding the controls.. Don't nobody want those half circles man..

Sorry if I come off cynical as hell, but I just want this game to be the best game it can possibly be. The way I see it is, how can more control customization be a bad thing?

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
I remember people talking about this during beta. Sucks that it's still the same issue, and I guess NRS is just never gonna fix it in that case. Inputs feel counterintuitive sometimes, especially the damn grapple inputs. I really think this game could benefit from a block button. It feels like they used back to block just to be different from MK.

Scoot Magee

Yeah, the half circles are a total bitch to execute but the random backdashes are costing me more games than anything. It can in some cases completely kill any momentum or positioning I had on top of getting me killed sometimes due to the recovery. I'll simply be trying to block low and high and randomly get a backdash out. It's really annoying.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I really think this game could benefit from a block button. It feels like they used back to block just to be different from MK.
And to appeal to other players. I heard they did a focus group thing, w/ a bunch of players from other franchises (see Street Fighter) and asked them what would make them interested in playing an NRS game. The most frequent answer they supposedly got was "get rid of the block button".

There are good parts and bad parts to block being assigned to a button. I'm personally not as used to it, because I played SF, and Capcom games a lot more than MK as a kid. Plus, later with KI and KOF, back to block was standard. In fact, besides MK and Smash, I can't think of another fighting game with a button for block.

It's a really good thing for simplifying defense, and a bad thing, because it simplifies defense and makes it a little harder to open people up with some characters. That said, with all the fuggin' teleporting around in NRS games, back to block isn't that great, and if it causes input errors it's worse.

They should either code for it well or leave it. That's my humble opinion.

Scoot Magee

I don't know how well proximity block would work in Injustice considering it could potentially keep people from moving back out of some bad situations. With strings that have 50/50 properties I can see this as being very annoying. I think reducing the time between back inputs could help the backdash situation. I'm not sure why but even if I go from what I think is back to down to back too quickly I'll get a backdash.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I don't know how well proximity block would work in Injustice considering it could potentially keep people from moving back out of some bad situations. With strings that have 50/50 properties I can see this as being very annoying. I think reducing the time between back inputs could help the backdash situation. I'm not sure why but even if I go from what I think is back to down to back too quickly I'll get a backdash.
I think proximity blocking is bad, ideally. When you want to play footsies, you want to move out of the way and whiff punish. Proximity blocking freezes you in your tracks, and forces you to play the spacing game BEFORE they attack and not after. So, in the interest of gameplay, I believe it's best if you automatically block only when an attack connects and never before then. This is one thing I hate about the Street Fighter system.

Regarding your back dashing problem, I really haven't encountered it myself on stick, but I imagine back-down, and back quickly would definitely do that to you. I'm adjusting my timing with certain strings, and moves w// Atrocitus to reduce input errors. t's going to take time but I believe it's doable. I just have to be more deliberate.

It sucks, because I'd rather focus on everything else EXCEPT struggling with the controls.

E

Eldriken

I am so fucking tired of two bars of meter being wasted when trying to do Darkseid's MB Doom Stomp.

I do j3~MB df3 and the game reads it as me trying to do a bounce cancel after the j3 and poof, there goes two bars and I likely got nothing from it.

Alternate controls and all that shit is off, too. This game stores your inputs for entirely too long.