What's new

Injustice Health Bars

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
And if you do like them, you're into gimmicky, no-substance features. The negative extremes hit both ways, Wild, we can't let either get to us until proof of it is shown.
I don't feel like it's gimmicky, I just think there's a reason this hasn't been done in any popular, tournament viable fighters in recent memory (as far as I know). Imagine if MK had these lifebars. Kitana could get the life lead against Sub-Zero, MAYBE eat one combo from him in the first round, and still have life and a half lead against him in the next round, making an already difficult match-up that much harder.

The only thing I can hope is that Injustice isn't as matchup dependent as MK is, but NRS is developing this after all, so I can't say I'm all that sure of that possibility.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I don't feel like it's gimmicky.
And I don't feel that you're a scrub or have the scrub mentality if you don't like them. Just two or so people saying so, don't mean a majority, yo

Imagine if MK had these lifebars. Kitana could get the life lead against Sub-Zero, MAYBE eat one combo from him in the first round, and still have life and a half lead against him in the next round, making an already difficult match-up that much harder.
Which is a good reason why MK didn't have it. Something as big as how health works has to have a game built around it. I think that's why they have all these environmental stuff, giving semi useful prijectiles to characters who wouldn't have an answer to it otherwise, or giving them a way to approach opponents with such a huge life lead so that even when you're down, you aren't out.

The only thing I can hope is that Injustice isn't as matchup dependent as MK is, but NRS is developing this after all, so I can't say I'm all that sure of that possibility.
I'm no match up guy, so I can't say anything about this. :p I still only barely understand match ups in MK or any game for that matter.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
And I don't feel that you're a scrub or have the scrub mentality if you don't like them. Just two or so people saying so, don't mean a majority, yo

Which is a good reason why MK didn't have it. Something as big as how health works has to have a game built around it. I think that's why they have all these environmental stuff, giving semi useful prijectiles to characters who wouldn't have an answer to it otherwise, or giving them a way to approach opponents with such a huge life lead so that even when you're down, you aren't out.

I'm no match up guy, so I can't say anything about this. :p I still only barely understand match ups in MK or any game for that matter.
I think you're giving the environmental tools a little too much credibility here. Like you said, we won't know until NRS actually starts showing us some decent gameplay for once.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
I think you're giving the environmental tools a little too much credibility here. Like you said, we won't know until NRS actually starts showing us some decent gameplay for once.
I can only go off of what I see, like you guys. The grenades, barrel roll, and agility wall jump thingy are all what I was thinking of when talking about that phrase. They look ok, but as you said, we really can't know until we get good gameplay with decent commentary on it. We already got a couple vids of pretty good showing, somewhere around here.

I kinda think the best thing we can do is question all of these strange and new features, but the worst we could do is hate on them. Also, I was trying to think of that word "features" a while ago, but couldn't until now. It was on the tip of my tongue...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The only other fighter in current generation that does this is King of Fighters.

It's not used because it's not forgiving. At all. It makes winning rounds by good margins a really, really good advantage. It rewards excellent play. It forces players to play without much sloppiness. A sloppy round is more than a round gone.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
How is it unfair? Both fighters start with equal life at the beginning of the match. You just have to keep up with your opponent's damage done against you to keep it close to even so as to not fall too far behind.
Then you get kaballed, have fun keeping up. ;)

I don't really care either way, I just like making points. Lulz

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't feel like it's gimmicky, I just think there's a reason this hasn't been done in any popular, tournament viable fighters in recent memory (as far as I know). Imagine if MK had these lifebars. Kitana could get the life lead against Sub-Zero, MAYBE eat one combo from him in the first round, and still have life and a half lead against him in the next round, making an already difficult match-up that much harder.

Obviously that sub sucks and played the mu wrong. It's not that difficult a mu.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
i like the idea of it simply because I am generally a very momentum based player, and sometimes the different rounds give my opponent a chance to calm down. So this will allow me to keep the pace of the match in my favor, whether that is extremely slow or extremely fast, or somewhere in the middle.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
The only other fighter in current generation that does this is King of Fighters.

It's not used because it's not forgiving. At all. It makes winning rounds by good margins a really, really good advantage. It rewards excellent play. It forces players to play without much sloppiness. A sloppy round is more than a round gone.
One of the reasons why I dig the double meter for health is how it reminds of King of Fighters. Life leads are so big of a deal in that game that it is a match changer in terms of mentality and in that game unlike a lot of other fighters there is really no way to coast by in a match if you had a sloppy round. The overall most solid player wins and it does not forgive players for making mistakes in terms of life leads.

The thing is this isn't a bad thing. It creates some of the most incredible footsie minded gameplay I have ever seen when people realize how big an issue life is when forced to play in a manner that doesn't forgive blowing a ton of life trying risky or lazy stuff. Folks try to capitalize off hit confirms more to try for life leads, and folks footsie more and use more spacing techniques creating a lot more back and forth in your face solid play. The footwork in KoF is as exciting as the combos are in other games and a lot of it is brought about by the need to not only win but maintain life. I hope Injustice creates this sense too. Its really honest feeling to win or lose in matches that play that way and comeback moments are a million times more hype.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...

Well kof restarts after a char is killed and timer is reset as well as the winning char gets some life back. And both start in same area. So not really anything like kof

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well kof restarts after a char is killed and timer is reset as well as the winning char gets some life back. And both start in same area. So not really anything like kof
Yeah...pretty much, this game is even more unforgiving than KOF.

Also, NRS has nothing to do with IGAU being matchup based, outside of design choice in terms of 3D vs 2D. 2D fighters are bound to be more matchup based just due to the general mechanics you see in each type of fighter. You can't really avoid it.