What's new

[Injustice Continuity] Robin/Nightwing/Alfred Plothole

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Spoilers from the Injustice 2 story mode and Injustice: Gods Among Us Year 1 and Year 5 comic

So this is pretty much about them re-doing the Justice League's takeover of Arkham Asylum, with Batman, Nightwing, and Robin trying to stop the Justice League from killing the inmates. In the comic, Batman and co are fighting the escaped inmates and Robin is just going ham on the Riddler, and Nighwing scolds him for his brutality, so Damian gets pissed and throws an escrima at Dick hitting him from behind, knocking him out, and causing him to break his neck. It's also important to know that Damian would often throw an escrima at Dick in practice and Dick would easily avoid it. So yeah Damian killed him but not in a cold blooded murder way, more of a car accident type way. Important because it explains why Nightwing died and why Damian left Batman.

But all of this was changed in the Injustice 2 story mode. It starts out similarly with the Justice League wanting to go to Arkham to kill the inmates and Batman going to stop them. But this time only Batman and Damian went, no Dick. He can't already be dead because Batman and Damian are friendly(ish) at this point. It ends with Damian killing Victor Zsasz(who kills Alfred in year 5 of the comic?!?!) because he believes Superman is right and then leaves Batman.

So all we can't trust the comic when it comes to Nightwing's death, all we know from the 2 games is that he is dead and Damian killed him. Alfred is also dead and we don't know how. This doesn't make sense to me.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I wouldnt read into it too much man. In injustice 1, the 'good' superman blew up cars full of civilians with his eye lasers
That's my favourite bit. I love how they could have just had him launching parked cars or something, but nah he picks up driving cars and we're then encouraged to murder the civilians one after the other as good Superman.

Good job mini game story writers

Spoilers from the Injustice 2 story mode and Injustice: Gods Among Us Year 1 and Year 5 comic

So this is pretty much about them re-doing the Justice League's takeover of Arkham Asylum, with Batman, Nightwing, and Robin trying to stop the Justice League from killing the inmates. In the comic, Batman and co are fighting the escaped inmates and Robin is just going ham on the Riddler, and Nighwing scolds him for his brutality, so Damian gets pissed and throws an escrima at Dick hitting him from behind, knocking him out, and causing him to break his neck. It's also important to know that Damian would often throw an escrima at Dick in practice and Dick would easily avoid it. So yeah Damian killed him but not in a cold blooded murder way, more of a car accident type way. Important because it explains why Nightwing died and why Damian left Batman.

But all of this was changed in the Injustice 2 story mode. It starts out similarly with the Justice League wanting to go to Arkham to kill the inmates and Batman going to stop them. But this time only Batman and Damian went, no Dick. He can't already be dead because Batman and Damian are friendly(ish) at this point. It ends with Damian killing Victor Zsasz(who kills Alfred in year 5 of the comic?!?!) because he believes Superman is right and then leaves Batman.

So all we can't trust the comic when it comes to Nightwing's death, all we know from the 2 games is that he is dead and Damian killed him. Alfred is also dead and we don't know how. This doesn't make sense to me.
Unfortunately I think this is a classic case where a company (Warner Bros.) wanted to do a multipronged marketing approach to a product (Injustice: The Game) and basically did a fire and forget approach by tossing a bit of coin to a comic team and walked away and didn't care much what they came up with.

Its not uncommon at all...however...this is a rare case where they accidentally stumbled into a brilliant writer who actually outdid their original draft by lightyears. No matter how good it is though, its still the original creators baby so they're gonna do their thing and not really care much when they contradict it which is why the tone of the comic series and even just the first game is so disjointed.

For another example: see the Halo expanded universe and supplemental books. It wasn't until Bungie left the franchise that 343 industries started making a serious effort to bring that material into the fold of the games themselves that there started to become a real sense of continuity.

Personally I think you're best thinking of the comics as one universe and the games as another.....which is thankfully easy to do given that this is DC comics and they've got the whole multiverse lore built in.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Bothers me because it gets rid of a lot of great context and development for the Batman, Robin, and Superman characters.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
That first chapter disappointed me, I felt like the comics flowed really well into the first games story (likely because they had the games Story to work with) and that they threw that all away with that chapter. And o can't help but feel as if they did it to use Robin as a character over Nightwing.

The rest of the story I think stands fine as is and the new comic should serve to explain things like Hal Jordan regaining the guardians trust. But I'm curious if they will explain these retcons in the comic.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It also bothers me because if Dick wasn't dead by the time Damian left Bruce, he killed him AFTER joining the regime, maybe in more of a murderer-ey way. Also if that implies that Damian actually beat Nightwing in a fight then ggs lol

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I'm on Year 3 now, there are plotholes out the wazoo if you get down to it: Scarecrow is alive, the aforementioned Nightwing death, I am going to assume something bad happens to Swamp Thing at the point I am at now, Catwoman suddenly being Batman's ally again (didn't she join the Regime and get arrested in the first game?), the super-pill longevity.

You'd think the comic had no influence on the games, but they clearly do. Martin Manhunter's arcade mode references his death, the Green Arrow/Black Canary from 2 are the pair that were from the universe Dr. Fate sent Canary to after she almost died, the first game references Damian killing Nightwing, Zatanna's arcade references the Tower of Fate. And there's the character arcs that make 0 sense, like the Guardians would NEVER let Hal have a green ring again after the shit he did. I would just say don't sweat it

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm on Year 3 now, there are plotholes out the wazoo if you get down to it: Scarecrow is alive, the aforementioned Nightwing death, I am going to assume something bad happens to Swamp Thing at the point I am at now, Catwoman suddenly being Batman's ally again (didn't she join the Regime and get arrested in the first game?), the super-pill longevity.

You'd think the comic had no influence on the games, but they clearly do. Martin Manhunter's arcade mode references his death, the Green Arrow/Black Canary from 2 are the pair that were from the universe Dr. Fate sent Canary to after she almost died, the first game references Damian killing Nightwing, Zatanna's arcade references the Tower of Fate. And there's the character arcs that make 0 sense, like the Guardians would NEVER let Hal have a green ring again after the shit he did. I would just say don't sweat it
You'll be happy to know what you mention holds mostly solid. And yeah Hal murdered Guy Gardner and joined Sinestro lol.

hewhay

Noob
Mmmm. Honestly, I thought that they are trying to set up the story for Injustice 3. Don't you find it interesting that the only flashback scene in the game goes against comic canon? When Reverse Flash appears he tells Barry that everything is messed up. When Barry asks him why he doesn't gets back to his time RF tells him that one of the Regime members killed one of his ancestors. This means that the Injustice timeline is not the main one. I think that they are trying to set up the idea that someone is messing with time and this mess resulted in the Regime universe. Kind of turning Injustice into a sort of Flashpoint-like universe. They may try to follow this idea in the next game or maybe as part of the prequel comics. We already saw Booster Gold on it which means that time traveling shenanigans are afoot. Maybe we find during the comics that someone changed the timeline causing a different reason for the deaths of Alfred and Dick or maybe we will find out in the next game. This is interesting because I honestly don't remember what happens to people in the phantom zone when time gets reset. Maybe someone fixes the universe and asshole Superman returns to a new non-regime one and starts causing trouble?