What's new

Inexpensive Stick options?

Loth Ryo

of house Ryo krypton
So after the recommendations from one of previous threads ( buy or not for stick ) I went ahead and tried out injustice on a buddies stick at his place ( he had the injustice stick from the battle edition )

..........and I really enjoyed it!!!!!

I could see how it would take some getting used too however I feel that it just gives me way too many nostalgia feels from the actual arcade days.

So my question to my fellow TYM member's, for a gamer on a budget what is an inexpensive yet decent route to go when trying to purchase a stick ( hopefully sub $50.00 ) any advice on this would be appreciated.

P.S. Correct if I am wrong but I believe I remember during the civil war grand finals Tom and Reo were both using some sort of pads?

Animalmilk

Kitten
You could always mod a wwe/sf4 stick and just replace the joystick and buttons. It's extremely easy with a lot of information on how to do it. You can get the stick by itself for real cheap on amazon and the pieces won't set you back too bad. Google up some modding on it. That's the route I went and I have no regrets. :cool:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
So after the recommendations from one of previous threads ( buy or not for stick ) I went ahead and tried out injustice on a buddies stick at his place ( he had the injustice stick from the battle edition )

I could see how it would take some getting used too however I feel that it just gives me way too many nostalgia feels from the actual arcade days.

So my question to my fellow TYM member's, for a gamer on a budget what is an inexpensive yet decent route to go when trying to purchase a stick ( hopefully sub $50.00 ) any advice on this would be appreciated.

P.S. Correct if I am wrong but I believe I remember during the civil war grand finals Tom and Reo were both using some sort of pads?
They most likely were using pads.. They used pads in MK and this is a pad friendly game unlike games like Street Fighter.

I got the Mayflash Universal Arcade Stick and then modded it. Its an expensive stick with a good kase. I got it really cheap for like $30 bucks new I think... (I'm not sure if it was $30 with shipping or before shipping.)

Usually there's people selling good sticks for cheap though on ebay or on craigslist so be sure to check there.

PS: Despite investing in the stick after playing for a while I realized that I didn't need it. Not even for SF since I use Ibuki and not a character with multiple awkward button inputs like Gen.

KRYS9984

Noob
With a $50.00 budget you won't purchase anything fantastic. There are a few models such as the Madcatz Brawl Stick and Qanba Q1 (both slightly over your budget) but you will be getting low grade parts and eventually might consider modding it (extra fees & labor).

A better option is to hold on to the $50.00 and try to save up an extra $50.00 - $70.00 for a stick that comes with quality components right out of the box (which makes a difference). The Madcatz store currently has a few models on sale at $99.99 or you could possibly check local classified ads / TYM marketplace for someone selling one second hand.

Players such as Tom Brady and REO usually use PS2 pads with a PS3 converter since the wireless models are banned at tournaments. Once removed from the console, they could remain synced and potentially mess with a match in progress.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Cheapest will be a Madcatwz Brawl/SE stick. Swapping out the components is cheap and you'll save a lot of money going that route.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
http://eightarc.com/qanba-q2-standard
The eightarc Q2 stick uses Sanwa parts, and works for PS3 and PC (not 360, so make sure you have something for that). It's $79.99 + shipping

http://eightarc.com/qanba-q1
Their Q1 stick uses Qanba parts and also only works for PS3 and PC. It does feature table clamps, if that's how you like to play. This one's $59.99 + shipping.

Hope this helps.
I have the qanba q4 ice blue, but damn that fusion synthesis is a nice looking stick! I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I needed one.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Don't be cheap about it. You'll find some cheap sticks really faulty. If I were you, I would save up money to get a nice $200 Qanba or Mad Catz.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Yeah, I need to get a stick too... Feels like I'm not playing the game properly when I'm on pad. I want the smexy Injustice one but dat shit's too expensive.

Loth Ryo

of house Ryo krypton

Dark_Rob

Noob

Honestly, $50 just wont get you much in the way of a decent stick. Even if you got something like the brawl stick you would still have to ditch the stock stick and buttons for something decent like Sanwa or Seimitsu. Its probably another $40 or so plus shipping to get the parts you need so your up to $90 anyway and you still have to mod it,which while easy to do still takes a little know how.

My advice is to hang on to your $50 until you can double it. For $100 you can get a Madcatz TE which comes stock with Sanwa stick and buttons and has years of tournament proven reliability. Madcatz TEs are far and away the most used sticks out there.

http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=274&curPage=2
Any of the sticks on this page are all $100.There is no difference in the parts they use(all are Sanwa)other than some different artwork and different case shapes. Most of them use the Taito Vewlix button layout(A hybrid japanese/American button layout) but the Soul Caliber stick uses the Namco-Noir layout(The classic Japanese button layout which is curved to match your finger lengths)

They are all high quality and much better than anything you will find in the $50 range. Its worth saving up for.

d3v

SRK
Unless you're handy with a dremel and soldering iron, the only "cheap" stick you should get is a MadCatz SE/Brawlstick. The rest will require some soldering and drilling to fit in genuine arcade parts later on. The parts should last for awhile until you think you're ready to upgrade to actual genuine Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.

Also, on the Qanba's general experience by SRKTT folks/modders is that the PCBs can tend to be sometimes unreliable.