What's new

Independent Shang vs Soul Stealing Shang

I love the mind games that soul steal provides. It forces the other person to temporarily forget about the shang MU and worry about beating their own character in a mirror. Plus, one bad move is huge because they'll eat a SS boosted combo.

Death

Noob
IMO shang isnt being played at the highest possible level without the soul steal. Shang is probably the hardest character to master because you also have to play many other characters at a high level. Soul steal in footsies is so godlike. Not to mention the damage boost you get when you morph into another character. I remember playing wound on psn and he morphed into sonya and got like 20% off an uppercut lol.

SS should be used like ermac TKP in open space imo. Keeps the opponent honest and is very good as an AA and in footsies in general. The only problem is that the player has to be confident in their opponents character. Mixing ground skulls with up skulls and soul steal makes shang a very dangerous zoner imo.

IMO shang isnt being played at the highest possible level without the soul steal. Shang is probably the hardest character to master because you also have to play many other characters at a high level. Soul steal in footsies is so godlike. Not to mention the damage boost you get when you morph into another character. I remember playing wound on psn and he morphed into sonya and got like 20% off an uppercut lol.

SS should be used like ermac TKP in open space imo. Keeps the opponent honest and is very good as an AA and in footsies in general. The only problem is that the player has to be confident in their opponents character. Mixing ground skulls with up skulls and soul steal makes shang a very dangerous zoner imo.
damn man all this soul steal talk has me hot n bothered shang will definately be gettin some love come stream time for KH this coming week.

NariTuba

disMember
Shangs need to have both an offensive and defesive strategy for every mirror! Start with basic and level up mirrors individually on demand.

Reactions: JAP

astronout

see you at the top.
Soul Steal is by far one of the most underrated specials in this game. Shang Tsung not using SS is like Cyrax not using resets.

Reactions: JAP

LEGEND

YES!
All great points so far

Imo, You need to know every character period. Even if you are not a fan of Morphing from SS you still NEED to know how to play your opp's character. SS is just too powerful of a move to be at a Disadvantage every time you hit someone with it

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
All great points so far

Imo, You need to know every character period. Even if you are not a fan of Morphing from SS you still NEED to know how to play your opp's character. SS is just too powerful of a move to be at a Disadvantage every time you hit someone with it
The ironic thing is that you ARE left at a frame disadvantage after it hits. See the grand finals against tyrant where I try to duck to avoid the DP after I land SS and still get hit and put in the corner.

LEGEND

YES!
The ironic thing is that you ARE left at a frame disadvantage after it hits. See the grand finals against tyrant where I try to duck to avoid the DP after I land SS and still get hit and put in the corner.
lol, well ya

You know what i mean though

but ur jax bro, if u have a certain amount of knowledge wit jax also u would know exactly what to do to turn the tide around and get urself out corner, i used to play jax hardcore and still damn good with em, so i know all his gimmicks and pressure strings i would know mosly what tyrant would try to set me up with in the corner, counter it and put myself in a position to put him in the corner and build my pressure

LEGEND

YES!
but ur jax bro, if u have a certain amount of knowledge wit jax also u would know exactly what to do to turn the tide around and get urself out corner, i used to play jax hardcore and still damn good with em, so i know all his gimmicks and pressure strings i would know mosly what tyrant would try to set me up with in the corner, counter it and put myself in a position to put him in the corner and build my pressure
You missed his point entirely

he was making a remark on by post. You are left at a frame disadvantage after the Second hit of SS gets blocked (when the first hits), Thats why its ironic

NariTuba

disMember
It makes sense to me that a move that makes matches vs ALL the cast 6-4 in Shangs favour would have drawbacks, such as being vulnerable while morphing in and out.

When Shang morphs into Kratos, all hell breaks loose. This combo wasn't even done, poor guy. I know you can screenshot straight from vita, just didn't have the time to transfer over and felt the need to share...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
WC said it all, pretty much. It's best to learn to use every character, though, to maximize on SS's uses in situations he may need him, and end round damage boost is a pretty thing to have.

So it can be a good portion of his game sometimes, but never forget to learn Shang himself lol.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
When I face shang, this is how it goes

He soul steals
He immediately blade charges
I punish him
They sit there and look dumb

But ya if you know the character it could be useful in certain situations. Just don't use it if you don't know the character.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
yea its -24 i think what somberness told me before if the second hit is blocked which gives certain characters free hits. Morphing into other characters forces u to be more cautious cause if u mess up while u are them, u gonna get blown up while u changing back. 5 secs is cool and all but sometimes it isnt enough to turn matches around. Mainly used for footsies and zoning. I dont want to be jade or stryker but ill be damned if umma let them sit on the other side of the screen throwing shit.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
To become a really good shang player, is it really needed to be able to play the whole cast?
Im trying my best to get good with the whole cast but its a damn lot of work so thats why i wonder if its really needed...
When i saw woundcowboy play he sometimes was soulstealing alot in a match, was this because hes good with the character his opponent plays or is it just because soulsteal works abit like ermacs push.And i have to say that was a style i really liked and never have seen before.

Anyways, what do u guys think?

Yeah the pic is bad but it was flawless too. Kratos follows different combo rules than other characters, some of this causes his combos to stop dead and allow your opponent to block in the middle of a combo. Sometimes the combo counter resets for seemingly no reason. I have been able to abuse this into a reset that can reach the high 70's with a Kratos/Shang combo, and am working on Shang only resets with other characters. I have more research to do to make sure it is legit or a training mode bug, so I don't get blown up for presenting it. But I have seen nothing about it, even before the TYM crash.

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
Your shang increases exponentially with each character you learn very well. Especially if you run into a situation where the best thing that will hit someone is a soul steal so you don't end up a sitting duck. A good way to get better is playing tag mode with shung + random ally. For most situations shang outshines everyone with his fireballs because we can hit hard anywhere on the screen. I tend to only morph when the situation presents itself, or to push people away when they try to advance or when shang is has a speed/power disadvantage (v.s reptile, baraka and kung lao in particular) or when you can't seem to hit someone with shang that well. I find he excels v.s noob/sheeva/sub-zero/kitana /johnny/kenshi in particular. What gives the most satisfaction is months of using him and the entire cast and seeing your skills and teqniques get better and better. After a while you play them all seamlessly while mixing their attacks in combos together. eg. attacking with shang after using Kung lao or liu kang's xray on themselves :)