What's new

Incorporating Liu's Dragon Stance

ecksyz

speed force.
Anyone have any advice on making good use of Liu Kang's Dragon Stance? I've been trying to mix it in to my matches for a while now, and about the most use I've found for it is for comboing after an :en Parry with the Stance's :fp which does some decent damage and pops them up to allow me to continue comboing. I've also been using it on certain characters when they're waking up, as in some cases the hop backwards that Liu does when entering the stance gets him just out of range of some wakeup attacks (most notably effective against Noob's upkick, Kung Lao's spin, Johnny's backflip), and allows me to follow up with either :fp to pop them up or :bk to sweep them, depending on the spacing.

How do you guys work it in? Do you work it in at all?

I have thus far mainly used it for its sweep, wich is pretty damn nice since it moves you backdown, has the same range as a sweep would have had from your original position without stance (atleast it seems so), deals more damage and ofcourse shows your opponent that you are gonna do something so he/she might twitch or atleast get abit scared yet you don't actually have to commit to anything other than the stance.

I sometimes enter Dragon stance to bait a JP, but instead of doing a move out of it, I cancel it into the parry. Of course, if you have meter, you can use the same technique and get a free combo. I used to Dragon Stance :fk OTG after an :x, but OTG was patched :(

I sometimes enter Dragon stance to bait a JP, but instead of doing a move out of it, I cancel it into the parry. Of course, if you have meter, you can use the same technique and get a free combo. I used to Dragon Stance :fk OTG after an :x, but OTG was patched :(
Sad, the overhead is very unsafe and if it worked as an otg it would be very usefull.. Maybe unfair, but cool atleast.

ecksyz

speed force.
yeah thus far the :fk and :bp moves seem pretty useless. even trying the :fk as an overhead, though it does a nice 14%, takes way too long to come out and is super punishable on whiff or block. the :bp one really has no redeeming qualities, it doesn't hit high or low, does only 9%, and takes way too long to recover.

i kinda hope that in some future update, NR manages to make these two moves viable. as of now there's no point in using them.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Have u guys tried to incorporate dragon stance dash cancel. It's really good for mix ups. Such 213 back dash then DS into sweep, cancel into parry or DSDC f+3, or b+312 it's really reliable when ur trying to get a quick juggle to psych em out then approach with quick hits.. I have been using it lately since everyone knows Liu kangs launchers.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I have thus far mainly used it for its sweep, wich is pretty damn nice since it moves you backdown, has the same range as a sweep would have had from your original position without stance (atleast it seems so)
I think it actually reaches even further.

I just found something about Dragon Stance that I thought was interesting. When the opponent chooses to stay on the ground after a knockdown, normally there's not a ton you can do because your low hits will be blocked and your f3 and 213 overheads whiff. However, I found that Dragon Stance 3 will not whiff in that situation, so if they're just lying on the ground all the time you can overhead for an easy 14%. I mean they can react to it and high block at the last second and if that happens you're kinda boned, but maybe you can catch someone off guard with it.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I just found something about Dragon Stance that I thought was interesting. When the opponent chooses to stay on the ground after a knockdown, normally there's not a ton you can do because your low hits will be blocked and your f3 and 213 overheads whiff. However, I found that Dragon Stance 3 will not whiff in that situation, so if they're just lying on the ground all the time you can overhead for an easy 14%. I mean they can react to it and high block at the last second and if that happens you're kinda boned, but maybe you can catch someone off guard with it.
I find a better chance of success with that move to be in the corner. Mostly cause they expect b3,1,2.

Actually, it turns into a guess game... kinda. Sweep or overhead.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
I found out a few things while playing some offline matches.

1. Dragon Stance > FP is a pretty good anti air, but takes time and a lot of reaction to get it right

2. If you block a jumping kick, you can quickly get into dragon stance to avoid being thrown and quickly capitalize.

Though, I did these only once or two times. Can someone confirm if this is actually possible?

I've been trying to use dragon stance to start up a punish. When someone teleports and is blocked, or mileena's blocked roll.. raidens blocked superman. 1 (from dragon stance), N JP, b3 1 2, f2 4 cancelled into flying kick.

Also, sometimes I'll throw in the dragon stance overhead after a b312 repeat combo, works half the time by catching them off guard.

I've played liu since day 1 and i can't seem to successfully incorporate dragon stance. Is it possible to go to dragon stance after a jump in punch hits?

I think it's possible to go straight into dragon stance after a jump in, but you cant start up a combo that way. Doing that into the overhead or sweep might be useful, but they can block your pop up and punch.

Theme

Noob
What are dragon stances good for anyways? I'm a bit confused... why not just do the combos? Is it mix ups? It seems more like a taunt for me.... I havent found any use for it.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Unable to link the Dragon Stance?

As I messed around in Training Mode with Sonya's Military Stance and Liu Kang's Dragon Stance, I took notice of something that confused me.

Sonya is able to cancel her combo strings and low pokes into her Military Stance (d + b + 2), as we all know. However, Liu Kang does not share this ability with her. He has his own stance, but it serves as a stand-alone move that can't be linked to any attacks before it.

I'm wondering why this is the case? Would it make Liu Kang overpowered if he could cancel any of his block strings into Dragon Stance? If anyone's worried about him getting the block infinite Sonya once had, NRS could just make it so recovery frames are added to Liu Kang's stance cancel like they did with Sonya.

If this has already been explained somewhere, I apologize for wasting everyone's time with this thread.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I think everyone knows, but never addressed the issue. I believe Freddy can link his stance as well.

Imo it's probably too late for Liu Kang to start linking his Dragon Stance. It would only brings more problems to NRS. Possible resets, block infinites, who knows? Don't give it to him, because would only cause problems and NRS would start messing with Liu Kang.

Even without it linking it, it can make some pretty bad ass mind games. Who knows if they made a mistake or not. I don't wanna know. >.>

IMO ^^

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Looks like he needed more Shaolin training before running off to find Shang Tsung; should have listened to Raiden.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
It would make him OP, if he could cancel into it he could go into an overhead or DS B4.
So that makes Sonya overpowered because she can go into an overhead or another block string after her stance cancel? I've seen no complaints of that.

Liu Kang strikes me as a character who possesses much similarity to Sonya: great rushdown, a stance, limited zoning tools (except he can do instant-air projectiles whilst Sonya can't, so he's higher up on that department), fast uppercut...I think that's the list. It therefore surprises me that he can't do a stance cancel like Sonya.

I realize it's too late for it to be possible now. Just thought I would voice my curiousity.