What's new

in a dilemma over how far i want to take MKX

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
to begin with, a little backstory about me. i've been playing MKX since mid May and have grown quite fond of the game. i started playing online a few weeks after i got the game and have become quite good in terms of an online perspective, so i guess you could label me as an online warrior. i main Mileena and do very well seeing as that alot of her shortcomings are lessened in the lag. i've met alot of friends online who have helped me to level up my game greatly to a point where i can feel confident about anyone i get matched up with in ranked/player match. i've had alot of players ask me if i'm a competitive player and if i go to tournaments and all that stuff. and the answer i tell everyone is simply... no. i've been thinking about it for some time now and decided to give it a shot, because what the hell...

so, the other night i go over to GGA to play some casuals since i happen to be in the area. feelin good about myself, but also realizing that Mileena might have more trouble in an offline setting which became a reality after the first game i played against a competent quan chi player. so, to describe the experience in short, things i do online don't work offline. i got reacted to on several mixup attempts and punished hard. things that i can consistently do online even against other good players just weren't reliable due to the better reaction times offline mode offers. alot of my offensive options were completely nullified (ex. cross-overs, stagger strings and throws, certain mixups, etc).

even though it was my first offline experience, i've come to a dilemma. i really love mkx and i want to become as good as i can be. recently i've acquired a full-time job and simply can't put in the countless hours to play, and soon i will be working new hours that will not allow me much flexibility in going to GGA when i want to level up. i can either continue to play online and enjoy the game for what it is and enjoy my character who literally prospers in the lag. but at the same time it will be malnourishing in the sense that i will continue to fall back on bad online habits. or, i can drop online mode and just go to GGA whenever i have the chance to pick up where i left off in an offline setting. i don't know what i want to do. if i keep playing online i may just plateau at the level i'm currently at and not improve. what do you all suggest?

Keep playing online, just realize that you'll only improve by the people you play. If you played high level players online, then when you go offline you'll do or perform at a tournament level.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Keep going to gga, the BEST way to level up is by going to local tournaments. There is no lag, no gimmicks, just you and your opponent, and you can learn a lot from it. Don't get discouraged since nobody does insanely well at their first tournament, it takes time, but it is a lot of fun to go to tournaments once you get into it, the reward is a great hobby :)

Look up tech and other players and try to create a new playstyle your opponent won't be used to. Keep going to GGA if you can, and find good players either offline/online.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
I like the honesty in your post, and at least you now recognize the online/offline difference. Even online, against top players, you eventually can tell who knows what they are doing with their character.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Welcome to the light! Good to see another Mileena main going to offline tournaments. You'll also see why some of us in the Mileena community have differing opinions on what she needs - some say she's fine (mostly the online players) while others think she needs a few more things (mostly the offline players).

I was an online warrior (my scrub ass was ranked low 2Ks at one point) but offline changed my perspective. Hopefully you can keep going to GGA because offline is a better measuring stick of how much you are truly leveling up. IIRC, GGA is home of an A-List Johnny Cage ... ethereal is your best bet if you're going to ride out with our Empress.

Agilaz

It has begun
I only started doing offline events about a month ago. Since then, I have been told that I have improved significantly.

Like you said, many things you do online tend to not work offline - once you realise that and understand what those things are and why they don't work, you can discipline yourself to avoid using them when playing online. The people I play with nowadays have a system where we pretty much call each other out when doing online-only things, like severely disrespecting minus frames. It's good way to drop bad habits and improve your baseline skill.

I'd suggest keep going, even if it's once a month. You'll learn more in that one evening than you will after a week of online.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Depends on what you want to do. If you mainly just play for fun then keep playing online and enjoy yourself. If you want to get into the offline scene and really start attending tournaments, then start trying to go to local places where you can level up offline against other good players.